3B: generic starter relay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As I have been playing with this BJ-60 that sat in the barn for nine years I have discovered I am missing my starter relay, as well as a glow plug relay. Can I replace the starter relay with a generic type? Toyota wants $238 for a new starter relay. Ouch. Any solutions here? Could I just install a big red push button start (no key or anything)?

you need a relay. I don't see why a generic would not work.

There is two glow plug relays. I would run a manual set up, with just one relay.

I remember your last thread you started and looked at my fender where you where wondering what was there. The relay on the inner wheel well, is the primary glowplug relay. The other relays are smaller box relays. One is starter, the other is secondary glowplug relay for the afterglow. A useless system in colder weather. IMOP anyhow. The superglow system just doesn't give enough glow.

Super glow system?

I have the glow plug relay with the two screw on studs for the wires. My glow plugs appear to cycle without the other relay. Could I just run a toggle switch to the glow plug relay to make it manaul opperation? Are there any threads on that?

I don't see why you can't cut out the toyota relays and put put in just a plain relay that will take that current.

All you would do for the manual operation, bolt the two relays (I've used starter relays from old ford trucks in the past) route the trigger wire where ever you want the button to be and wire up the starter and glow plugs to their spots.

I have the glow plug relay with the two screw on studs for the wires. My glow plugs appear to cycle without the other relay. Could I just run a toggle switch to the glow plug relay to make it manaul opperation? Are there any threads on that?

Yes there is, search Wilson switch.. Greg_b has posted it quite a bit.

yep... I did the old wilson switch-a-roo myself... I currently have an extra glow relay (the one in the picture I sent) that I bought when I thought it might be my glow system issue. it wasn't. so. now I have a spare (used) gloe plug relay. I'll sell it for $50 if you'd rather not go with the "non-toyota" relay options...

The thread about going manual was in the FAQ

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=38416

post #22 Greg does a great write up. I printed it. Went out side and wired in a push button, took no more than 30 mins. If you want to take your time, an hour.

Gregs write up is spot on. Explains it very easy. Just remember to only use a push button that does not stay on. Otherwise you will forget them on and due some damage.

I thought about using a normal rocker switch. But then realized I would forget it on, then we are talking very high temps in there and possible dripping metal. I dunno how bad it could be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom