bj60 glow plug timer location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I looked in the FSM and it tells me the glow plug timer is located under the instrument panel on the passenger side. I took the pass side kick panel off but it's not there. Can anyone help me out?

It's a 1982 BJ60 with the superglow system intact. It's really hard to start in the morning. I've checked the glow plugs and both relays. I put a voltmeter on the glow plugs and it looks to me that the timer is not letting the plugs stay on long enough.

Mike.

Have you tried double glowing I had to do that with one I had everytime. I let it glow then whe the light went out I turned the key off and back on and glowed it again. Did this for 400000Kms and never wore anything out any faster than normal.

I glow mine based on the voltmeter. Watch the volt meter and you'll see the way the system works. When the glow light goes out the volt meter jumps up a bit, when the plugs are well and true finished glowing it jumps up the rest of the way. It worked great that way when I was home in B.C. and it works even better here in Guatemala! One cycle and it fires up right away.

Yes, Ive tried that method but all I really want to know is where the glow plug timer is located so that I can test it.

Thanks,

Mike.

Last edited:
It should be in the drivers kick panel I believe.

The fuel relay is in the passenger kick panel.

If your glow plug timer has packed it in, it's time to bypass it and go push button.

hth's

gb

Is there not also a sensor on your thermostat housing that is wired in to the timer. The temp/signal that it sends to the timer dictates how long the system stays active. I thought that was the case anyway. Also i hope you aren't assuming the plugs are good because they are getting voltage. You need to do a continuity/resistance test not just check for voltage. If the plugs show that they are infinate/0 ohms, they are shot. I believe they should read around 5 ohms.

silvercrusher said:
Is there not also a sensor on your thermostat housing that is wired in to the timer. The temp/signal that it sends to the timer dictates how long the system stays active. I thought that was the case anyway. Also i hope you aren't assuming the plugs are good because they are getting voltage. You need to do a continuity/resistance test not just check for voltage. If the plugs show that they are infinate/0 ohms, they are shot. I believe they should read around 5 ohms.

Yes...If you unplug the sensor, your system should go into the max glow cycle per the FSM. The FSM has the specs for checking the temp sender too.

My superglow quit on my BJ60 just a while ago. The quick hit at the beginning was not happening, however the after glow was. I checked the high end main relay, and it was fine, it was just net getting activated by the timer. After using a wire for a few weeks, taking 12V's directly from the battery to the beginning of the glow plug current sensor heading to the busbar as a means of getting the truck started in the morning, I decided a push button would be nice and simple, and not require trouble shooting the timer. Lazy, I know. But it works great! So did the wire. :D

A buddy figured a way to use the stock wiring and stock relay while including the glow light, so after a little bit of wiring I now press the button, the light comes on, and the stock relay sends voltage to the busbar.

gb

Last edited:
sounds better then geeting another timer, cause you know its gona work
that what i'm gona do when mine goes :cheers:
jim

I priced the pre-heating timer from a toyota dealer and even with 25% discount the price is a bout $600CAN or something in that nature.

Alex
TLCA #3558
85 BJ70
93 FZJ80

There can't possibly be that much to one of these timers. I wonder how it works inside hmmm. $600 that is insane its probably a 10 cent diode that fries.

There a business for you then silvercruiser! Gather them all and fix, then sell. Core exchange and bob's your uncle.

gb

hey Greg, do you know what your buddy did to re use the stock wiring and relays? Its time for me to go manual. I was going to run all my own wires and what not. but decided to try an alter the stock wires. removing the timer and using my self as the timer. but I don't want a lower voltage afterglow. so I will basically put it on full. with a toggle switch that you have to hold to keep on. easy to forget on when you using it after the start to settle things down. I replaced my glow plugs a few months ago and don't really see an advantage over the old ones. So I am presuming it to be a crappy timer. or wrong voltage glow plugs. either way they are getting the whole 12 v soon.

Thanks for the replies. I did check the glow plugs and they test out good on the Ohmmeter. I think I'll just wire in a toggle switch at the timer itself and use the factory wiring and light. Sounds like a great ideal.

Mike.

Do not use a toggle switch for something like this. Use a push button that returns to the default position. In fact for this mode, use a normally open push button.

I ain't good a der tech article...so will just do a simple write-up here. I am not at home to reference the chicken scratching I created. When I get there, I will do a short write-up here.

gb

Greg_B said:
Do not use a toggle switch for something like this. Use a push button that returns to the default position. In fact for this mode, use a normally open push button.

I ain't good a der tech article...so will just do a simple write-up here. I am not at home to reference the chicken scratching I created. When I get there, I will do a short write-up here.

gb

ya that would be great. no worries if it isn't too tech, just an idea with what you did will work. I just have to think of what wires I will splice into at the timer. As the way I am going to do it maybe, is have my switch as an overide. then if I don't hold the sw the timer still does it things. my timer seems ok in the warmer temps, but the minus temps I don't feel they are on long enough.

my vw holds the glowplugs on for about 20 seconds. not the quick little blip that my bj does. normally I wait till I hear the secondary click off on the lower voltage, then I start. around 0 it normally always goes .

brownbear said:
ya that would be great. no worries if it isn't too tech, just an idea with what you did will work. I just have to think of what wires I will splice into at the timer. As the way I am going to do it maybe, is have my switch as an overide. then if I don't hold the sw the timer still does it things. my timer seems ok in the warmer temps, but the minus temps I don't feel they are on long enough.

my vw holds the glowplugs on for about 20 seconds. not the quick little blip that my bj does. normally I wait till I hear the secondary click off on the lower voltage, then I start. around 0 it normally always goes .

Brownbear,
To do it this way you'd need two switches as I see it. One to maintain continuity when the timer is in use because a momentary switch in that case sort of defeats the purpose of the timer, and a second momentary switch that operates off a separate terminal from the above switch for when you don't feel the timer is quite enough.

cruiser_guy said:
Brownbear,
To do it this way you'd need two switches as I see it. One to maintain continuity when the timer is in use because a momentary switch in that case sort of defeats the purpose of the timer, and a second momentary switch that operates off a separate terminal from the above switch for when you don't feel the timer is quite enough.

:D

No no no....turf the timer. Throw it far away. Step on it. Give it to someone who want's to see what is wrong with it. Throw it in the scrap bin...

:D

One switch only.

gb

just reading this thead,
i had a customer with a bad timer and he took it to a computor repair shop, one that knew how to read a circiuit board and he got his back in repaired state for $50...
you might want to check a shop like that ...
just a suggestion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom