3B engine: interference or non-interference? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been trying to search this but can't seem to find the answer.

Is the 3B engine an interference or non-interference type?

From looking inside one I would have guessed no.

However this link says yes: 1JZGTE info, interference engine or not? - JZX World Forums

Ghost was correct about toyota bein NON- Interference engines, unless you have an LX90 chaser/cresta/mk2 with the 2L-TE diesel engine i would not worry about your valves meeting with the piston... unless they drop of course :p

Other interference engines include:
(all diesel)
B, 2B, 3B, 11B, 13B, 13B-T, 14B, 15B
L, 2L, 3L, 5L
C, 2C, 3C-T
1HZ, 1HD-T, 1HD-FTE
2H, 12H-T
1KZ-TE,
1KD-FTV, 2KD-FTV
1PZ
Im sure there are some other variations but that just about covers the main ones.

Dunno.

iesel / interference

Interference engine

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
An interference engine is a type of 4-stroke internal combustion piston engine. Depending on the design of an engine, piston and valve paths may "interfere" with one another as a result of incorrect timing in their movements. (Such designs are also called "interference head" or "non-freewheeling", and include virtually all diesel engines.

Isn't the whole question irrelevant?

The 3B doesn't have a cam belt. So the cam belt can't break if it doesn't exist!

So why do you care?

:beer:

Tom,

I was thinking the same thing. It might interfere, But you'd essentially have to break a timing gear, or set the timing WAAAAAY out of whack to get it to interfere. If you did something to break a timing gear, I think the head and valves would be the least of your issues.

K

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm a new owner of an '81 BJ42 and the diesel engine is new territory to me.

Since taking ownership of the truck last week, I've been going over some of the maintenance items since I wasn't sure of what was changed or not.

I didn't realize that the 3B does not have a timing belt or chain assembly so that makes me feel better.

Cheers.

I didn't realize that the 3B does not have a timing belt or chain assembly so that makes me feel better.

This should make you feel even better.
timing gears.jpg

They aren't exactly wimpy gears, either. ;) If you did something bad enough to have to worry about it being an interference engine, you're going to be buying a new one anyway....

Dan
timing gears.jpg

If you've ever seen the mess a dropped pre-cup does you'd know these are interference engines. The crap from the dropped pre-cup is pounded into the piston head. No room on top of that puppy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom