3b engine blow-by, how much is too much (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey I’m just wondering what is an acceptable amount of air to be blowing out of the oil filler hole. This is a 3b diesel. Mine seems to have a fair bit, but it’s done it since I bought it 6 years ago. I want to say it feels like a hair dryer but it’s not nearly that high, maybe like a heat gun on low. You can see it’s almost enough to blow off the cap. At one point I replaced the pre-cups, did a valve grind, got all the valve springs tested, and the cylinder walls looked brand new still. Only 230k km on the truck. It seems to run fine, gutless like normal. Just wondering how other guys compare?

Mine does the same thing and it only has 110,000 original KM. - I wouldn’t worry about it, unless it’s very very excessive. Videos help.

Judging a 3B blow by “the cap shooting off” is a terrible way to measure the health of the engine. According to other members, 3Bs have a certain pressure pulses that are different from other 6cyl motors like the 2H.

you can put your hand under the breather pipe to see if you get a steady rhythmic pulse of air, or if it’s just a constant blowing of air.

Hope this helps.

Industrial diesels I've worked on in mining and construction had specs for and a procedure to measure blow-by. Maybe Toyota does too?
Like mentioned, there's a difference between blow-by and air pulses from the reciprocating parts.

its fine unless it looks like exhaust blowing out

Almost normal for the 3b.

Are you
Thanks for your replies. There’s no smoke with it, engine runs fine so I’ll assume it’s fine.
I can’t seem to post a video of it
Pretty much normal for a 3b.

Do you just do leisure driving? As in town and mostly trail running?

I learned that the 3b needs a regular highway run to get it hit and burn off carbon that causes ring sticking and drives up oil consumption/smoke.

Almost normal for the 3b.

Are you

Pretty much normal for a 3b.

Do you just do leisure driving? As in town and mostly trail running?

I learned that the 3b needs a regular highway run to get it hit and burn off carbon that causes ring sticking and drives up oil consumption/smoke.
A bit of both, I guess I mostly use it for hunting trips

i found the turbo blasted all that shiit out 😄 (even though it actually runs cooler now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom