3B alternators - Has anyone tried these? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Love bumping old threads-

is there any new info on the alternators or set ups people have with electric vac pumps?
I've searched around and either I'm not searching the right things or there just isn't information out there on it...thanks.

Or if anybody ever got to building brackets for these guys. I'd love to have 120+ amps but I don't know if 160 is necessary withLED's and dual batt set ups.

Just breezed through so excuse me.
2.4D vs 3b
I pulled a 2.4D in Watson Lake Yukon (still there)during last years return from the Arctic Circle. Yes the overall fit is good, but the splined rotor shaft of the 2.4D shifts the belt pulley forward. My guess is a swap if possible of the shafts or machining in order to line up the belt.
I simply ran out of time on a Friday at quitting time knowing people wait for the weekend.

I thought somebody said all you’d have to do is out your pilot on from the 3b oem alternator.
But that one is only 65 amp?

I’m hoping for a 90-110 or so. I suppose bigger is ok but not really necessary. I’d like to run some other things though since I’m im doing a little bit more resto mod so more electronic accessories will be in the rig.

OEX make a universal alternator HXA005 12V 70 amp with vac pump, Its an Hitachi, thats what the H is for. When Toyota stopped making B engines for Landcruisers, the B engines in Dynas and Coasters were all made as 24v.
I dont believe there are many options out there and because 12v b engines are all 30+ years old, no one is going to start making them.

OEX make a universal alternator HXA005 12V 70 amp with vac pump, Its an Hitachi, thats what the H is for. When Toyota stopped making B engines for Landcruisers, the B engines in Dynas and Coasters were all made as 24v.
I dont believe there are many options out there and because 12v b engines are all 30+ years old, no one is going to start making them.
I appreciate the info. I’ve been. Looking at doing the separate electric pump with another higher output alternator that’s readily available. But I just keep coming back to wanting something kind of OEM and mechanical. I don’t even know if that’s necessary.
Ive really been hoping to find some people that have done ANYTHING different that would do some explanation and write up just to see. But I see nothing.

Please post anything up about either the option of a larger alternator (part number) and electric vacuum pump (part info) or the NPR alternator. Im looking to upgrade the alternator and dont want to buy a new BJ alternator that is barely adequate then buy a whole other set up not too much later.

I am interested in this set up. Electric vacuum set ups are everywhere and can be had for pretty cheaply and they are easy to hook up. 160A would be pretty great for lights, CB, winch, radio and fridge Ill be running. Is there any information on this set up? is it internally or externally regulated? What is involved in switching from externally regulated to internally?
I’m looking to do the same thing and this vacuum pump looks like a good alternativ. It is pricey but not as much as some other rotary vacuum pumps, less noise. Us a vacuum canister ( got mine from 4wheelauto.com in Canada, reproduction of OEM BJ 40 canister in stainless steel)

I’m looking to do the same thing and this vacuum pump looks like a good alternativ. It is pricey but not as much as some other rotary vacuum pumps, less noise. Us a vacuum canister ( got mine from 4wheelauto.com in Canada, reproduction of OEM BJ 40 canister in stainless steel)

So I do have a question- what is the vacuum pump for? Is it just for the brake booster?
My 3b went from a 60 to my 40. In my 40, it didn’t have the same set up so I’m wondering if I even need that alternator at all? I have all wheel disc already.

anybody know if that will just be unnecessary?
Not sure why this just occurred to me.

So I do have a question- what is the vacuum pump for? Is it just for the brake booster?
My 3b went from a 60 to my 40. In my 40, it didn’t have the same set up so I’m wondering if I even need that alternator at all? I have all wheel disc already.

I think a 40 only needs vacuum for brakes. If you no longer have that system, you wont need it.

I think a 40 only needs vacuum for brakes. If you no longer have that system, you wont need it.
so the PO had 350 swapped it previously as well as put front discs and I’m guessing changed the brake booster. I don’t know which booster it is though.

I have swapped in the 3b with the h55. I 100% would like to run a different alternator but not sure what will run the vacuum for the brakes. I’m guessing i could easily use a separate booster but I’m not sure if there’s an easier way to run the set up.

so the PO had 350 swapped it previously as well as put front discs and I’m guessing changed the brake booster. I don’t know which booster it is though.

I have swapped in the 3b with the h55. I 100% would like to run a different alternator but not sure what will run the vacuum for the brakes. I’m guessing i could easily use a separate booster but I’m not sure if there’s an easier way to run the set up.
You can use an electric vacuum pump that is used for electric cars, look at Leeds whisper electric pump

OEX says its for L and 2L diesels. I think you need HXA001 Note you can check the dimensions on the RH side of the pic. It looks like the FT to FT distance will be too small on the HXA003. Its an internal measurement. There are HXA001 alts for same price on Aust ebay. I think the HXA001 would fit the L and B diesels, it seems to mention them in the 2nd pic. And the HXA001 is 60 amp

1620343663632.png

1620344342256.png

Last edited:

All Diesel engines need a vacuum pump on the alternator or a separate vacuum pump to provide vacuum to the brake buster. Gas engine produce vacuum and the brake buster connects to the the engine vacuum system.
my 3B is from a BJ60 and going in to a FJ 40.

It looks the same as:

Old 01-24-08, 05:59 PM
The Diesel Part number thread. NO CHIT CHAT or PARTS # REQUESTS! #33

3B & 13B-T maybe 2H Alternator Replacement

After a long hard search I found a Alternator from a 84-85 Toyota pick-up DLX with a 2.4L diesel it's the same exact alternator for 3B and 13B-T. The only thing you need to do is replace the new alternator pulley with the pulley from your old alternator and everything else plugs in.

I took a look at the 3B & 2H manuals and Toyota LC micro fiche they look the same. Take a look at the Napa Auto Parts and Rock Auto Parts web-sites.

Alternator is from a:
84-85 Toyota Pick-up DLX
2.4L Diesel
12 volt system
55-60 amp
Vac Pump fine splined
internal regulated

Napa Auto Parts, does not come with vacuum pump
#14675 or Ray #138292

On the Napa alternators I went with the Premium Alternators. These have free replacement warranty as long as you keep your invoice. Take note, Napa no longer carries the Beck/Arnley alternators

Napa Premium Alternators Prices:
#14675 $170
Ray #138292 $164

Rock Auto Parts, comes with vacuum pump
Beck/Arnley #1860609

Alternator to Vacuum Pump O-Ring
new O ring for mounting your vacuum pump is 55mm x 2mm you can get this O-ring at a hydraulic shop.

Hope this helps

_______
As of today, American Toyota, Albuquerque 1984-1986 Toyota Alternator 27060-35060-84 | American Toyota Parts - https://parts.americantoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-alternator-270603506084 has the remanufactured alternator for the 84-85 Toyota pickup available for $127.00 with their discount. If you want to keep the core, add $75.00. Of course, the vacuum pump is not included.

Looks like the NAPA 14675 rebuilt alternator is $210.00 + $94.00 if you keep the core. Also, this alternator is not currently available in my area.

American Toyota has at least 2 websites to order parts from. If you want the price I noted above, you must use the internet address above.

I wanted a new vacuum pump as well, so I ordered the Bosch 0 986 ANO 632, Ebay item number 11220058896. Seller is Auto8 in Australia. Total cost, including freight and state tax was $403.27 USD.

I have a 3B from a BJ60 in a BJ40 so other alternators I looked at were the OEX HXA001, and the HXA003 which would both mount as I have the mounts for both the BJ40 and BJ60 applications. They do have different electrical connections, but this is easily overcome. The latter would also fit the 84-85, and probably the 84-87 pickup. OXE has dimensions for each alternator, which is useful in determining if they will mount to your engine.

However, the most detailed application list I found for the OEX generators is at www.tinkr.nz, specifically the listing for the HXA001 is at Tinkr - Car parts & Accessories - https://www.tinkr.co.nz/product/385386/alternator-12v-60a-suits-hitachi

However, I found Auto8 to have better prices. Don't forget the currency exchange rates at these sites.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread, the info was quite useful.

Hi folks. My turn to revive the thread just in time for Halloween…even though this is a 24V thread

I have a 12V stock alternator and vacuum pump on my 3B (10/1980 BJ42 RHD) that needs swapping.

3 prong connector, 2 oil lines, 1 vacuum hose. Seems like HXA003 has the 3 prong, HXA001 has 4 prong…so 003 might be the best fit? Question is pulley and mounting dims lining up…anyone know how I could be sure it’s an appropriate swap?

Reference pics of my alternator, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom