36" hi lift jack - Adequete? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a hilift but thinking of ditching it. I have heard the hillift referred to as a widow maker.

I have a hilift but thinking of ditching it. I have heard the hillift referred to as a widow maker.

I've heard '40s called that. ;)

Don't get rid of your lift. It can be a valuable tool. Just use it properly.

Mark...

Wouldn't be long until people will say cars use to require the driver to apply the brakes and expected to steer and keep the car in it's own line without aid of a computer. By that way of thinking would would expect no single circuit brake would have survived this long. People paid better attention to their driving when the vehicle wasn't loaded with devices to do it for them. Also didn't have to worry about half the people on the road were on a cell phone talking, texting or worse using it as a computer.
I grew up and learned to drive at the peak of MADD.

Listened to all the older kids telling me about ludicrous all those new DWI (or DUI) laws were, how they were fine to drive with just little buzz, and remembered the days when the cops would tell them to just be more careful and let them carry on driving home drunk as long as they promised to go straight home...

They are great tools and in many situations, mostly vehicle recovery, the best tool for a lot of jobs. Off road vehicle recovery is a dangerous game... straps and winch cables break and things fly, vehicles go unintended directions and hit things or fall on people under or just near them. (They're also pretty good for pulling posts out of the ground...)

They've also became great jeep fashion accessories!!!

There are much better, safer tools for changing a tire on any type of solid surface. They don't look as cool bolted to the bumper or hood, but they work much better for just changing a tire.

There is an accessory that slides on the bar and pins in place, it has slots for a chain that makes using the jack much more useful as a winch.

Jack-Mate. Too pricy for me but I would weld one as I think its a good design and made from good steel it will outlast me.

The other thing we carry around with the Hilift was a can of WD-40. At the time(many years ago) that was the best and cheapest lube around. Since the Hilift was usually in the bed of the truck it uusally rusty and not lubeed. So we would squirt a little motor oil and drench it WD-40 before using it. Them were the days. The Come Along was the tool kept with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom