35 in tires on 100 series. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stock offset is 60mm. Yes, 25-40mm would be more ideal. Consider doing a 1" body lift.

Stock offset is 60mm. Yes, 25-40mm would be more ideal. Consider doing a 1" body lift.
Been considering that too. Do you have a source for that? The stock offset is listed @ 35 for stock rims. 25/60 range. But i did not know a thing about all this when i started. Live and learn.

Reference guide for car wheel and tire dimensions such as size, offset, PCD
upload_2017-6-26_13-29-26.png

This is an extremely confusing subject found only in the 100 section of MUD. Possibly infecting the Prado and 200 section too? Idunno.

Why? 35's are 35/12.5R17 or R16. Most often including the 315 metric equivalent - only. Not 285/75R17. Not 295/70R18. Most every thread referenced above turns into tech relating to tall skinnies mistakenly being called 35's based on height - not profile.

Ok, so I read this a few times and it's driving me nuts. "mistakenly being called 35's based on height - not on profile"

35 means height, and has NOTHING to do with profile. NOTHING. So there's no "mistakenly" . The reason everyone is quoting metric sizes is because a lot of manufacturers have thinned down there SAE sizes. I too am "not trying to be a dick", but 35" tall is 35" tall is 35" tall, regardless if it's a skinny. Furthermore, a 285 is 11.22" wide, about 1/4" narrower than a 11.50". Furthermore, a 295 is 11.60", which is over 11.50". They make a Super Swamper in a 35x10.50x17 and it's still a 35" tire ...... because the width has NOTHING to do with the fact that it's 35" in diameter.

Just had to get that off my chest.

Ok, so I read this a few times and it's driving me nuts. "mistakenly being called 35's based on height - not on profile"

35 means height, and has NOTHING to do with profile. NOTHING. So there's no "mistakenly" . The reason everyone is quoting metric sizes is because a lot of manufacturers have thinned down there SAE sizes. I too am "not trying to be a dick", but 35" tall is 35" tall is 35" tall, regardless if it's a skinny. Furthermore, a 285 is 11.22" wide, about 1/4" narrower than a 11.50". Furthermore, a 295 is 11.60", which is over 11.50". They make a Super Swamper in a 35x10.50x17 and it's still a 35" tire ...... because the width has NOTHING to do with the fact that it's 35" in diameter.

Hope you feel better my friend.

I don't know about "better", but I feel "accurate"

Lets say you had already ran 295r18 and 285r17 and were looking to fit 35's (12.5").... and searched the 100 Section for details on lift and wheel backspacing knowing that it would be different...... hope you have a few cans to wash down the frustration.

Tech related - the only wheels I could find in North America with the correct backspacing to fit 35's without using wheel spacers were FN, Hutchinson and custom Trail Ready. After typing in a bunch of combos here 1010TIRES.COM - Wheel Offset Calculator I went with Hutchinson. Otherwise you could extend your bump stops or cut front fenders and/or install wheel spacers with whatever other wheels you run.

Or you could buy 285r18, 295r18, 285r17 or a sweet 80 series.

Edit: This is assuming you have already upgraded you UCA's, have a 2" lift, 1" BL and will be wheeling.

Last edited:
You mean, "in a 12.50 width". I understand, and even agree, that most, perhaps almost ALL 35s are in 12.50 width. As I mentioned above, you can get a Interco SSR Super Swamper in a 35x10.50x17, you can get a Nitto Trail Grappler in a 35x11.50x17 and a 35x11.50x20. These are ALL 35" tires. I understand you are being specific to "12.50", and that's what I think you mean to say ... "in 12.50 width", because 35" are available in other widths.

I understand you are being specific to "12.50", and that's what I think you mean to say ... "in 12.50 width", because 35" are available in other widths.

I ran 255's on an 81 for 60k miles. Literally every type of terrain including snow and sand. When asked what size tires I had by other overlanders, I would say 255's - not 33's or 285's. Because offroad they handle differently which is really what people who own land cruisers care about. And why 35's are different from tall skinnies. Profile. But agree to disagree

I understand what you're saying. I'll admit there is definitely something different because TRUE 33s and TRUE 35s are more expensive than their metric equivalents, all things being the same, i.e. "LT" etc. That's always made me curious what exactly was different. I asked a tire rep (i've worked in car dealerships for the last 20 years) what was exactly different and he said "hell, I don't know". lol

This is an extremely confusing subject found only in the 100 section of MUD. Possibly infecting the Prado and 200 section too? Idunno.

Why? 35's are 35/12.5R17 or R16. Most often including the 315 metric equivalent - only. Not 285/75R17. Not 295/70R18. Most every thread referenced above turns into tech relating to tall skinnies mistakenly being called 35's based on height - not profile.

@ scoonr : You're wanting to fit true 35's? The wider tires most likely around 34.7 x 12.5 .... I needed 2.5" lift, 1" body lift, new UCA's, diff drop, new torsion bars, wheel spacers and pinch weld hammering. Or you could SAS the front which might be close to the same cost DIY. Depends on what your specific needs are and skill level. In hindsight, if I were to start fresh with a pocket full of change, that's what I would do.

When in doubt, call a vendor on here. GL

I ran 255's on an 81 for 60k miles. Literally every type of terrain including snow and sand. When asked what size tires I had by other overlanders, I would say 255's - not 33's or 285's. Because offroad they handle differently which is really what people who own land cruisers care about. And why 35's are different from tall skinnies. Profile. But agree to disagree

While I will agree that "Will 35's fit?" just doesn't give enough information to answer the question, as it doesn't give any information about width (unless you just automatically assume 12.5).

I am equally confused by the fact that you seem to take offense at tires that are approximately 35" tall, but are not 12.5" wide, being described as 35's, but you seem perfectly OK describing tires by their metric width, without mentioning "aspect ratio" or "wheel diameter" for some sort of height reference?

The "285's" (P285/35R19) on the back of my Corvette are very different from the "285's" (LT285/75R16) on my son's LC. About the only thing that they have in common is width, and they do "handle differently".

Last edited:
Good grief, 35s are 35" tall. That's it. There are various widths, etc that go along with it, but if someone says they're running 35's, the ONLY thing an experienced off-roader assumes is the tire is approximately 35" tall.

How did this even become a thing?

SMH

Was gonna say what you said, but too lazy to type.

I'm running a Kumho Road Venture AT51 LT275/70R18 (which comes out to 33.16") on a 18x8.5 with a 35mm offset. I have a 2.5" Old Man Emu lift. I had wanted to go with 35s but didn't because I wanted to tuck the spare into the existing well and was told 275/70R18 is the largest size that will fit. While I'd like to go to 35s eventually, I feel that in order to still go offroad I would DEFINITELY want to add the diff drop and a 1" body lift. My tires ARE skinny, but I think they're a great size for this setup. 35s look great, but not at the cost of versatility that would be lost in my case.

Just my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom