34x10.5x17 tires - any experience? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since the 285/70/17 KO2 was mentioned that is what I am running. I did not do a BMC and have no issues with rub there. With both stock and 4Runner wheels. OME 2.5, SPC UCA.

I also run 4.56 and do get 15 mpg hwy here in CO if I drive reasonable.

This is what I want to hear, thank you.

I've seen pictures of people measuring their mounted KO2 in 34x10.5x17 with a measured height of less than 33". I'm thinking since 10.5" is narrower than 285mm, that they can mount on a GX470 with a setup similar to yours (2.5" lift, UCA, no BMC). Obviously I could be wrong.

The 285/70/17 measures in about 32.5” (spec sheeet) or slightly larger if I recall corrreclty. I have never tried to measure. I don’t know about the 34, that could be the rub difference. I was just responding with my experience with that specific tire.

I do have some slight rub on sway bar on one side and frame rail on other at full turn.

I never ran my 285's or 35's with stock wheels so that might explain the difference in experiences.

Just got 285/75/17 Cooper S/T Maxx's installed... measure out to a true 34x11 something. triming needed on both sides with my IMS 3" lift and UCA's

but got it to no rubbing what so ever with my RRW wheels
IMG_20200327_162852_779.jpg
IMG_20200327_162852_779.jpg
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200327161514261_COVER.jpg
IMG_20200327_163218.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's great.

It's my understanding you can have no rubbing on the street, but that you can when you go offroad and your suspension articulates.
Yeah, I tried to flex it out as much as I could on the stuff around me... but with the "stay at home, stay safe" order here in Washington, which everyone is ignoring... but I digress, I didn't really go searching so couldn't really find anything more than a couple of inches higher than a normal curb but no rubbing so far. we'll find out when I can really test it properly

Yeah, I tried to flex it out as much as I could on the stuff around me... but with the "stay at home, stay safe" order here in Washington, which everyone is ignoring... but I digress, I didn't really go searching so couldn't really find anything more than a couple of inches higher than a normal curb but no rubbing so far. we'll find out when I can really test it properly
Did you regear prior to getting the 285/75s? I always heard 285/70 was the max that would be tolerable for daily driving with stock gearing.

Did you regear prior to getting the 285/75s? I always heard 285/70 was the max that would be tolerable for daily driving with stock gearing.
nope, went from stalk to these, and while there's a definite loss of power, I've yet to feel like it NEEDS regearing. course my background is in v6's and 4bangers with larger tires so lol

nope, went from stalk to these, and while there's a definite loss of power, I've yet to feel like it NEEDS regearing. course my background is in v6's and 4bangers with larger tires so lol
That's good to know. I have been torn between a 285/70 or 285/75 for my next tire (currently 255/75). If the v8 can handle turning 34s without too much issue, I will just go with those. Tires + wheels + gears is a tough pill to swallow all at once.

The KO2 in this size seems to be much more expensive than any other size, in 17 at least. Any recommendations on where to buy them?

The KO2 in this size seems to be much more expensive than any other size, in 17 at least. Any recommendations on where to buy them?
that's because they're one of the only tires made in this size by any brand. Discount tire has always treated me well... not always the cheapest, but I'll pay extra for good customer service/warranty. Also, Discount tire also sells via e-bay, I've seen where their e-bay store was cheaper than their online store (which is usually cheaper than their retail stores)

I think I got mine through discount tire when they had one of their 10% off sales. It still was pretty expensive. I love the tire and the size, but will not be getting this size again after mine wear out. Oh and do get the road hazard certificates if you get these tires.

Wow, that's great.

It's my understanding you can have no rubbing on the street, but that you can when you go offroad and your suspension articulates.
So I was able to fully flex it out. rear stuffs no issue, did trim the front bumper prior to this, mostly for aproach angle, but helped a lot with minor scrubbing in turns. Still a little rubbing at full stuffed turns, but minor and it's just the inner liner (nothing hard)
I didn't get any pics of my front stuffed unfortunately, as we discovered halfway through our trip that my good camera didn't have the memory card in it, and so had to use the cell and I was a little annoyed lol
drivers rear is about .5" off the ground here... and I was running 35 psi (didn't have my compressor with me or would have aired down) also the sway bars are attached and factory links (need to fix that)
IMG_20200531_102623-01.jpeg
IMG_20200531_102648-01.jpeg

I will second, (or third) that the 34x10.5x17 BFGs are not worth the extra money. I’ve had them for a year on my FJ and while they are quiet and perform as expected, that cost is too much. And if you are on a trip and need a tire...chances are real good you will be waiting for one to be shipped in. FWIW: my FJ is geared at 4.56. I cannot wait to save the money to do the same to my GX with 285x70x17 which do rub a lot. Planning to do BMC this weekend.

I've been running 285/70/17 KO2s since I got my GX and I've always liked them but wanted a tad bit taller and a tad bit thinner and a tad lighter option. I go with load range E because the C seems too thin.

I considered the 255/80/17 but there was barely any options.

I just stumbled across the 34/10.5/17 by BFG. It comes in a load range D, which is new to me too. I've always seen C and E.

It seems like the 34x10.5 might be the exact tire I've been looking for. It's 1.3" taller, about and inch narrower and is a D load rating. Has anyone ran them or have any experience with them?
I had E rated tires on my 80 series and it rode fine. I put the same E's on the GX (800- 900lbs lighter) and they were to harsh; and I paid 200.00 for labor to change them out after one week. Discount Tire credited me for the tires. I liked the C's better even thought the E's were .5" wider. That's just me. You may not mind the ride stiffness. Again, for me it was harsh for a daily driver/weekend explorer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom