33's or 35's (1 Viewer)

What size tires would you put on YOUR stock FJC?

• 33s

Votes: 43 84.3%
  • 35s

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

31's..No problems yet. Skids are used though.

**edit** no more drinking and posting. Mine are roughly 33's (BFG KM2 285/75/16)

Last edited:
Glad you are happy with them. Just to make sure, you know you replaced with the stock size tire which is just under 32". Hope you weren't misled...

guess that explains this then huh? :lol:
IMG_1932_edit.jpg

I ran 33's. No issues. But the 35's get me places the 33's can't!
The only issues I had when I first changed was the reduced steering lock. So to get round that i changed the offset of the rims and cut out the rear guards, not a biggy. Not to mention getting new leaf springs all round. No rubbering and no body lift needed. When off road. Having the full steering lock back was a real bonus. I run a chevy LS1 5.7L using the stock drive train (85 FJ40). After a torque bar was installed on the rear axle, I've had no breakages and I'm hard on my truck. Go the 35 inch rubber!!!!!:flipoff2:

DSC_0049-2.jpg

I have another set of 35 inch rubber on 10 inch beadlocker rims.

DSC00127-1.jpg

Last edited:
I wheeled pretty hard the week of GSMTR at Golden Mtn Park and there is still a little rubbing on heavy flexing in the front, but I will take care of that with a BFH before my next outing. It was rubbing on the area just above the body mount chop inside the wheel well. There is some plastic flashing there that covers the pinch weld between the fender and the door hinge panel and it kept getting rolled back a little bit at a time and made a noise like a playing card in a bicycle wheel. I cut most of that plastic away, but now I need to roll the pinch weld over a little bit to ensure it doesn't slice the tread. Probably going to finish off my body mounts with some bar stock like others have done too, since the mud pretty much polished off the paint I had sprayed on them.

I am banking on most of the rubbing to be alleviated when I upgrade the suspension (sooner or later);) Remember I've only got about 2 inches of lift with my current OME setup.
DSC08221.jpg
DSC08255.jpg

I heard it was a great time, so sorry I could come. My oldest had her HS graduation on Thur, in-laws in the house thru Sun.

Hmmmm, be outside, wheeling or hang out with the in-laws...

265mm = 10.43inches
'70' aspect ratio= 7.30 inch sidewalls
x2=14.6inches of tire
+17" for the rim= 31.6" height. approximately.

pretty short for a "33", most "33's" are just over 32" not just under.

Glad you are happy with them. Just to make sure, you know you replaced with the stock size tire which is just under 32". Hope you weren't misled...

Not misled.......just slightly stoopid.....But whatever :bang: Still love the tires.

UPDATE on running 80-series wheels on the FJC...

I discovered the 4 wheels I had on the truck are different from true factory Toyota 80 series wheels. I bought the 4 wheels from one seller and they fit my truck fine, but the 5th wheel I bought that has Toyota markings on it does not clear my front calipers. It fits the rear axle without issue. I will have to shave the wheels or the calipers or both to remedy this.

I'll post pictures up soon of the differences. The front looks identical except for some serial number markings, but the back is much more different than I first thought.

If anyone can identify the manufacturer of this first wheel, it might help solve my issue. Top photo is unknown "Japan Style" alloy that looks like an 80 series wheel. The bottom photo is an actual factory 80 series wheel. You can see the mark left by the brake caliper as I tried to mount the wheel on the lugs.
JapanStyleWheel.jpg
ToyOEMWheel.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks BM Thinker, I was Thinking about KM'2s since GoodYear stopped making the Non Kevlar Version of the MT/R. The Pics are very cool . . . .
I'm currently running; 305-70-17 MT/R's on factory Steel wheels, Donahoe upper control arms & adjustable coil-overs front (with Donahoe shocks and springs rear), and the infamous "body mount chop" . . . Good Luck[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat....I'm running the same version of GoodYear MT/R's 305/70/17's and I'm going to miss them. I know it's a game of who likes what, and who would put what on their FJ, I personally loved the MT/R from the tread pattern, size and capability. To me it added value to the FJ and I was able to go places I couldn't go with stock tires or the BF A/T. With that said I know a tire size is like shopping at a retail store for a waist line. The MT/R's were bigger than, to me, the actual size posted. I'm hitting 55k miles on those and it's about time to change them out. What brands have you guys been running and like? Please leave the BF A/T out...I really wasn't impressed with that tire. I'm running a little higher than 3" DR coil overs in the front and Icon kit in the back. I want to know who likes what brand and why? MT/R's seem to work pretty well for me, so I will at least stick with that tread line.

Keep in mind what size the mfg. advertises isn't neccessarily the true size of the tire, as you've noted. Several folks in this thread have mentioned 35" KM2s (yes the threads over a year old I realize), but those tires are known to run well below advertised size. From what I've read they tend to be 34" tires +/- .2" and hence why you don't get too much rubbing with them. With a true 35" tire you will see substantial rubbing above the body mount on the sheet metal...more than a BFH can address, so get out the plasma and try not to melt the wiring near the deadpedal.

Lately from what I've read the MT/R + kevlar runs close to size or slightly under (much better than the KM2s). From what I've seen Pitbull tires run close to advertised size as well, my 33" procomps were really 32.5" tires.

I've been running the KM2 315/75/16 for a little over a year now. I am pushing my alignment caster forward to minimize rub, but I'm still rubbing above the body mount on hard compression/turning. I never had that issue with the narrower LTB's.

All that being said, I still like wheeling with the larger (albeit slight) diameter and still having decent road manners. If it were a true 35" tire, I guess I'd be rubbing more frequently and under less extreme conditions.

I've been running full 35's (according to Interco's website) and don't get the rubbing as described by FJnewb. Maybe I don't drive my rig hard enough to get the rubbing, I don't "baja" or jump it, getting enough compression to rub there. Maybe its because I have the caster pushed forward, maybe I'm lucky, don't know. All I can say is I don't rub there...

Pull the springs off your shocks/coilovers and cycle the suspension if you want to see for sure.

All I know is with both the TC 2" LT kit and camburg 3.5" LT kit, with a true 35" tire, hits there well before full bump on the shock. Perhaps this is still at more travel than the normal 3" kit gets or perhaps the intercos aren't true 35" tire, I don't know..just tossing out what we've seen over the past few months. I really don't buy what any of the mfgs list on their sites, but instead look to those who have purchased them and measured (unmounted, mounted, @ normal operating pressure, etc.). Good to hear you don't have issues tho, perhaps the intercos are a viable option for him then.

Based on some of the other responses in the thread, it seems like those running 34"-35" tires with a 3"-3.5" lift all have rubbing issues even with the body mount chop. Playing with the caster will buy you a bit of room, if we don't chop the fender wells we are planning on trying to get the wheels as far forward as possible. Haven't taken measurements yet on how much that gets you, but if we do go that route....I'll get before and after measurements. Sounds like it might be enough to allow for travel and bump and lock on a normal 3" lift from what you are saying.

Last edited:
Pull the springs off your shocks/coilovers and cycle the suspension if you want to see for sure.

All I know is with both the TC 2" LT kit and camburg 3.5" LT kit, with a true 35" tire, hits there well before full bump on the shock. Perhaps this is still at more travel than the normal 3" kit gets or perhaps the intercos aren't true 35" tire, I don't know..just tossing out what we've seen over the past few months. I really don't buy what any of the mfgs list on their sites, but instead look to those who have purchased them and measured (unmounted, mounted, @ normal operating pressure, etc.). Good to hear you don't have issues tho, perhaps the intercos are a viable option for him then.

I guess that is where you and I differ in how the front end works. I've only driven my rig with the coilovers in place.

In order to get "X" amount of lift, one needs "X" amount of spring rate to achieve that, countering the weight the springs must support. Its my experience that in order to get ~3" of "lift", the necessary spring rate does not allow full compression the way I use the FJC. As I stated, I don't jump or have the trails to drive my FJC aggressively such that I'm experiencing high speed bumps which may create enough force to compress the springs enough to hit the bumpstops. I did do this once and I did get rubbing at the top of the fender well but didn't see it where you describe.

I've gone through OME 885's, 886's and now ICON. With the ICONs, I've been able to adjust this in between the spring rate of the 885 and 886 OME springs. The 886's were too stiff to allow much compression with the Demello bumper, Warn M8k winch and Amsteel Steel blue line, the 885's allowed more compression with the negative of being compressed at rest such that it was lower in the front than I wanted. This justified going with ICONs so I could adjust it to my liking, allowing as much compression as I can while maintaining the ride height in the front. I drove mine to a 20 degree RTI ramp (24" vertical = 669) to check rubbing at when fully "flexed" and it measured best with my current settings as compared to either the 885's or 886's.

And, you may doubt the manufacturers data, fair enough. Although, I did measure them and they are/were 35" tires, mounted, sitting on the ground, bearing the weight of the FJC. I took pics, posted them in another forum, compared to 255/86/16's I replaced them with, which did measure true also to the Interco website...

On most of the setups I've seen anything close to a true 35" tire has rubbed on the trail (no idea on what alignment they were running). Even SouthTexasCruisers KM2s (which as I highlighted runs closer to a 34" tire) rubbed with both his TC LT kits on the trail, again it might be cause of the additional travel.

I guess the caster adjustments you made work well then with a true 35" tire. Perhaps you can share some of your alignment specs (or perhaps you have), so it gives others with similar setups something to target?

As far as the RTI ramp goes, most of the FJs I've seen fail to fully compress the front suspension, as you've noted due to the spring rate and limited load applied. Although, if you back up it, it does give you a more realistic look at full bump on the front IFS. Even lifting the rear end of mine as far as comfortable with a fork lift, we weren't able to fully compress the front suspension. Outside of pulling the springs, getting the vehicle cross axled is the other easy way (and typically where folks see the intereference of a 35" tire on the trail) to get the vehicle to full bump. I've got no doubt you've been in similar situations on the trail, so it sounds like your suspension adjustments have helped minimize/eliminate interference with a 35" tire. Nice job!

I have the stock 265/75/16 BFG/AT KO's they are 10 ply tires. Size is designed for the drivetrain and gearing. If you need to change it to a larger size you need to re-engineer the drive train and suspension. I don't have to change mine since my Mall parking lot is really smooth :)

I've been a BFG mud terrain guy for years. Just bought a 07 FJC with 18" rims. They look great but tires that were on them were worn so I bought 275/65/18 E rated goodyear wrangler duratracs. They are a 32.4" tire but boy howdy do they perform great. I went and ran the clegghorn trail again with the new tires and big change on grip was wonderful. I didn't even bother airring down or use the e-locker. They are good priced too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom