Noise at speed (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since I got my FJ back I have noticed a slight road noise at speed. It sounds like I am running mud tires (but I am running normal road tires ATM). The sound is subtle enough that I had difficulty determining if it was coming from the front or rear (my wife doesn't even hear it) and I suspected rear wheel bearings. I replaced those and it is still there. The sound is based on speed and gets noticable above 25mph.

I believe it now to be coming from the front somewhere. Based on some new findings:

It goes away during left hand curves.
It also goes away when in 4 high as long as I am giving it gas, as soon as I let off it comes back.

I prefer not to just replace random parts up front until it goes away, does anyone have any ideas on likely culprits?

Last edited:
I had similar symptoms with a failing front wheel bearing. Diagnosed by jacking up the front and wiggling the wheel to determine if there is play in the bearing.

Also had a CV pop a boot and fill with water on a trail ride but it was a more buzzy sound than a growl like MTs. Some CVs can develop play where they go into the diff if you're lifted as well. Could check condition of those while you're at it.

With the noise changing while turning I would suspect a front wheel bearing based on what I've seen.

Good luck!

Front wheel bearing does sound like the case. Id check the passenger side one if it goes away turning left.

Thank you all for the tips. I picked up some hub/bearings (also tie rods, ball joints and stabilizer links because closer inspection showed most of the boots are degraded).

The FJ has been mostly parked until some slightly warmer and dry weather gets here. I am hopeful this Sunday will work out.

Front wheel bearing does sound like the case. Id check the passenger side one if it goes away turning left.
Finally got a day off with nice weather and going to get to work on it. I did a quick check and you were right. The passenger wheel has some bearing play!

Yotabearingsandhubs.com has great prices on already assembled hubs and bearings.
It used to be that bluepitbearings.com had the best deal out there for preassembled bearing/hubs, but this ^^^ guy is almost half the cost. How is that possible?

It used to be that bluepitbearings.com had the best deal out there for preassembled bearing/hubs, but this ^^^ guy is almost half the cost. How is that possible?
I'll keep that in mind for next time. I ordered a set of Moog bearings and hub from Amazon

I'll keep that in mind for next time. I ordered a set of Moog bearings and hub from Amazon
When we're on long road trips, I'll keep a spare assembly in the truck. I knew a guy that got stranded when one finally locked up (though he probably ignored all the warning signs). A boxed assembly doesn't take up much room, so good peace of mind. If the one you remove isn't horrible, I'd hang on to it for an emergency use.

When we're on long road trips, I'll keep a spare assembly in the truck. I knew a guy that got stranded when one finally locked up (though he probably ignored all the warning signs). A boxed assembly doesn't take up much room, so good peace of mind. If the one you remove isn't horrible, I'd hang on to it for an emergency use.
Not a bad idea. I am debating on not swapping the other one yet. Maybe I should just keep it until it is actually needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom