300 series rumors??? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You all forget your beloved Chicken tax in the US....
This is the real reason you are not getting the new Land Cruiser and why since 1985 you only got the expensive/luxury versions...
This is also why you have models of Toyota we see almost nowhere else (Tacoma, Tundra, 4R), this are your homemade versions of the Hilux and LandCruiser are those are made in Japan only.

You all forget your beloved Chicken tax in the US....
This is the real reason you are not getting the new Land Cruiser and why since 1985 you only got the expensive/luxury versions...
This is also why you have models of Toyota we see almost nowhere else (Tacoma, Tundra, 4R), this are your homemade versions of the Hilux and LandCruiser are those are made in Japan only.
The 4Runner is not made in the US. It is assembled in the same plant as the Hilux and LandCruiser.

Source:
Toyota Global - Tahara Plant

Also, the US market has the Sequoia. Look at sales of the LC, once the Sequoia was introduced. It killed LC sales in the US.

It's my suspicion that most people here griping that the 300 won't be coming to the US wouldn't be buying one anyway- because they're too freaking expensive. Some would of course, but not many. I for one am an armchair enthusiast when it comes to new cruisers cuz - they're too darn expensive for me.

It's my suspicion that most people here griping that the 300 won't be coming to the US wouldn't be buying one anyway- because they're too freaking expensive. Some would of course, but not many. I for one am an armchair enthusiast when it comes to new cruisers cuz - they're too darn expensive for me.
Well said, I was thinking the same. I am pissed that it's not coming here though, even if I can't afford one, I could have bought used 10 years down the line.
Perhaps we will see some version of it in the Lexus lineup.

Well I think that was a big problem with Land Cruiser sales. Very few people, even enthusiasts, can nor should buy a $85K vehicle. If Toyota wants the LC to be successful in the US then whatever base model there is needs to come in at $60-$65k. The problem was that there was only one trim and it got all the upgrades no matter what.

That being said, the 300 series GR-S with the front and rear lockers is pretty damn badass. Now that we've seen full press photos/videos I'm a big fan of the looks. I guess all we can do now is dream. My fear is that the Lexus version we get stateside will have an even bigger spindle, have all the low hanging body panels, lack both front and rear lockers, and come in at $120k.

Well I think that was a big problem with Land Cruiser sales. Very few people, even enthusiasts, can nor should buy a $85K vehicle. If Toyota wants the LC to be successful in the US then whatever base model there is needs to come in at $60-$65k. The problem was that there was only one trim and it got all the upgrades no matter what.

That being said, the 300 series GR-S with the front and rear lockers is pretty damn badass. Now that we've seen full press photos/videos I'm a big fan of the looks. I guess all we can do now is dream. My fear is that the Lexus version we get stateside will have an even bigger spindle, have all the low hanging body panels, lack both front and rear lockers, and come in at $120k.
“It’s too expensive” doesn’t explain why they’re not targeting the US market. US per capita income as well as the number and percentage of the population that has over $1m in assets is far greater than most of the regions where Toyota is offering the 300.

“It’s too expensive” doesn’t explain why they’re not targeting the US market. US per capita income as well as the number and percentage of the population that has over $1m in assets is far greater than most of the regions where Toyota is offering the 300.
I think it’s the “chicken tax” import tariff. A huge tax on imported trucks makes the business case tough. Why Toyota neglected the Sequoia and Tundra so long is a bigger mystery to me, since “made in usa” avoids the tariff. But the tariff hits profit pretty hard, so you would need huge volume or a high price to import a truck. They went with volume on 4runner, and price (bringing only the highest spec, most expensive version) for LC.

That's the reason it doesn't work in the US. Here, Toyota is a commodity car maker.

In third world countries it is a luxury brand. You can pull up to the club in a Yaris and be 'ballin.

A good lease program would help, but I'm sure Toyota has their reasons for not pursuing that.

I think it’s the “chicken tax” import tariff. A huge tax on imported trucks makes the business case tough. Why Toyota neglected the Sequoia and Tundra so long is a bigger mystery to me, since “made in usa” avoids the tariff. But the tariff hits profit pretty hard, so you would need huge volume or a high price to import a truck. They went with volume on 4runner, and price (bringing only the highest spec, most expensive version) for LC.
For what it’s worth the chicken tax doesn’t/wouldn’t apply to the 200 and 300 LCs (unless it was offered in some “cargo” configuration). It only applies to light trucks and cargo vehicles. The LC sees the same import tariff that the 4Runner sees (between 2.5% and 4% which is pretty low for the vehicle import tariff list for countries).

Your point on Toyota’s general refresh cycles and market decision tomfoolery stands. It seems they’re successful in their SUV market (in the US) in spite of themselves. It was pretty well known industry info that the 4Runner as we know it (j150 platform) was to be discontinued and switched into a cross over following it’s mid cycle refresh in 2014. Sales picked up and Toyota seemed happy to keep raking it in. Now they’ve pivoted completely to offer an allegedly capable 6th gen as a successor.

Toyota’s refresh cycles really don’t make much sense but given that their profits are consistently fine they probably don’t care. Additionally I don’t think I’ve seen a single ad or promo from a non enthusiast source on the LC since I’ve been old enough to drive. Hopefully the new gen Tundra and Sequoia bring enough to the table to keep enthusiasts happy and sell.

Ultimately, in my opinion, the LC doing so poorly here is a self fulfilling prophecy from Toyota itself. No marketing. Decontenting/lame refresh cycles (not LC specific). Cannibalize sales with redundant product. Then blame the market when it didn’t do so hot.

Its irritating to think that while the 300 GR is all over Russia or some s*** I’ll see Grand Wagoneers fly off the shelf locally.

OA

Last edited:
That's the reason it doesn't work in the US. Here, Toyota is a commodity car maker.

In third world countries it is a luxury brand. You can pull up to the club in a Yaris and be 'ballin.

A good lease program would help, but I'm sure Toyota has their reasons for not pursuing that.
If Toyota is viewed as a luxury brand I can see that although I’ve never observed that view of the brand during my travels. There’s still a substantial difference in the purchasing power of $90k in the US versus a large part of the market where Toyota is launching the 300.

In 1986, a brand new USA Toyota Landcruiser FJ60 on the dealer's lot cost $16K. Yeah, that was 35 years ago, but it was a hell of a lot easier to scrounge up $16K back then than it is for most to cough up $85K now for a vehicle that basically does the same thing - with a bit more comfort

The GR looks so good
Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 00.05.05.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 00.03.27.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 00.07.04.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 00.08.03.png

Buttons for volume control is a fail
Why do companies keep removing volume knobs?
Because all their knobs are sitting in the product design department.

What Is the Chicken Tax?​

The Chicken Tax is a 25% tariff on light trucks imported to the U.S., imposed in retaliation for European tariffs on American chicken imports. The tariff was imposed in 1964 in an executive order issued by President Lyndon Johnson.1 In the years since then, trade barriers have fallen and the average U.S. tariff rate on industrial imports stands at 2% as of late 2019, according to U.S. government figures.2 But the Chicken Tax still stands.

KEY TAKEAWAYS​

• The so-called Chicken Tax is actually a tariff on light truck imports of 25%, originally imposed in 1963 in retaliation for European tariffs on American chicken.
  • The tariff is in effect to this day.
  • The average U.S. tariff rate on industrial imports is now 2%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom