300 Series - any new rumors ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In no way did I mean to dog the LC/LX, I own one and love it. I totally agree with you. It does what it does brillliantly, it's just not going to compete with those other suvs. Its really a different animal. It's just never going to be a vehicle where people are like "did you hear about that new crazy Toyota with xxxhp". That's what the Germans and gtr's are for.

I do understand your point. It's just that it reminded me of a few good aspects of their tendency, such as sticking with tried and true methods. In another thread, it was noted that Toyota has deficits in the "fun to drive" sports category, and I agree. With the Land Cruiser though, and especially in terms of mechanics, I'm glad that haven't moved so quickly. The Tundra's 5.7 V8 is a great engine and I'm glad they used it. Diesels zi think have more to do with US emmisions hassles and Toyota dealer's lack of servicing tools more that simply not caring about the US market.

More "standardized" technologies such as GPS and stereos? I definitely wish they'd get with the modern program...

Why would we be lucky to get a turbo v6? Too complicated for me. Nothing boring about the V8, does the job. Next one will likely be direct injection.

I do understand your point. It's just that it reminded me of a few good aspects of their tendency, such as sticking with tried and true methods. In another thread, it was noted that Toyota has deficits in the "fun to drive" sports category, and I agree. With the Land Cruiser though, and especially in terms of mechanics, I'm glad that haven't moved so quickly. The Tundra's 5.7 V8 is a great engine and I'm glad they used it. Diesels zi think have more to do with US emmisions hassles and Toyota dealer's lack of servicing tools more that simply not caring about the US market.

More "standardized" technologies such as GPS and stereos? I definitely wish they'd get with the modern program...

It's really those little techs like the Bluetooth or the outdated nav or whatever that I feel annoy people the most.
I feel the LC is an end of the earth kinda truck. If I'm driving to a place where I just need it to work, then this is the truck. It is reliable, legendarily reliable. They always have been. That is the legacy and they're going to protect that At any cost. If the new 300 turned out only as reliable as a BMW or Merc or Audi it'd be a huge smack in the face to the land cruiser legacy. If it's doesn't have the latest tech? Meh we're used to that.

If you go to comparing it to a cayenne or x5 or anything like that it's laughably behind, but when it comes down to it those are lifted cars, not real suvs.

The Mercedes g63/65 being maybe the only exception to that.

The diesel deal is a combination of factors in my humble opinion.
1. EPA regs
2. Qualified techs
3. Build capacity. I read somewhere forever ago that's why they said they wouldn't offer a tundra diesel back in the day. They didn't have the ability to fulfill the orders if they had them. (This still makes no sense to me but hey I'm just a ex mechanic pool guy from GA)

Why would we be lucky to get a turbo v6? Too complicated for me. Nothing boring about the V8, does the job. Next one will likely be direct injection.

Low end torque, MPG, range...

I do recall someone with contacts inside Toyota referring to a turbo V6 as a distinct possibility. Might have been CruiserOutfitters. Can't remember.

What I meant was if they're going to go forced induction, I highly doubt we'd see a v8 and it would most likely be a 3-4L v6. Going FI is the only way to get the torque &a power the truck needs and get mpg up to be somewhat competitive.

wow, really, lazy lazy lazy.

my wish list is bring the diesel to the US, but that would talk the EPA pulling their head out of their ass

Lazy is the door actuators that close the door for you when you don't close the door all the way.

The brake hold/auto hold is a legitimate luxury feature, even a safety feature. A number of my customers (car sales) have told me it is one of their favorite features after I have showed it to them. Try it and tell me otherwise!

Last edited:
Just keep an eye on what the new Tundra motor is. Chances are, that'll be it.
Bingo! That would be my guess also!

wow, really, lazy lazy lazy.

my wish list is bring the diesel to the US, but that would talk the EPA pulling their head out of their ass

IT's only lazy until you have the feature and embrace the convenience. I use brake hold all the time on my X5.

I don't know, I am use to using a clutch in the hills, not sure why someone would need a hill holder feature in an automatic.

If we are going to go with a full wish list, including tech stuff.
-Updated stereo and Nav. One that will use google maps would rock
-keep the V8 maybe even drop it down to a 5.0L and supercharge it, a V6 would just not be right.
-A light in the cargo area so you can see what you are unloading in the dark.
-A manual option here in the states.
-a diesel in the states

Sadly I know the later will never happen. I cannot remember where, but recently I read an article in which the CEO of Toyota said they will not bring any diesels to the united states because of EPA standards. Doing all of the R&D to make a diesel the meets the standards would not be cost effective. Plus he stated that he worried that the modification would jeopardize the reliability. I wish I remembered where I read that from, but it was early 2016.

You don't have a cargo light?
I have the main light for the driver and passenger, and the ones for the middle seats, but none for the far back. I am starting to look into a small LED light to put on the back hatch and wire in. It is just one of those things that I figured would have come on the car. Even Lexus does not have one in the far back

I have the main light for the driver and passenger, and the ones for the middle seats, but none for the far back. I am starting to look into a small LED light to put on the back hatch and wire in. It is just one of those things that I figured would have come on the car. Even Lexus does not have one in the far back

Ah you're talking about a one way in the back. Yeah that'd be nice. Maybe wire in a Rigid A-Series or something similar. I'd like a red LED actually, maintains your night vision for stargazing.

I don't know, I am use to using a clutch in the hills, not sure why someone would need a hill holder feature in an automatic.

FYI, my 2013 does have a hill hold feature. Stop on a hill, let your foot off the brake and the truck will not roll backwards. Great stuff ;)

HTH

Edit to add: From the Manual:

■ Hill-start assist control

Helps to prevent the vehicle from rolling backwards when starting on an
incline or slippery slope.

■Hill-start assist control is operational when

●The shift lever is in “D” or “S”.
●The brake pedal is not depressed.

■If the hill-start assist control does not operate effectively

Do not overly rely on the hill-start assist control.
The hill-start assist control may not operate effectively on steep inclines and roads covered in ice.

Last edited:

Brake hold is really not about hills. It is more for when you are stuck in traffic or at long traffic lights, so you don't have to keep your foot on the brake.

I have a long commute through stop and go traffic, with long delays at traffic lights. I often put the truck in neutral to reduce the force needed on the brake pedal. I would love brake hold.

Hill assist does not work on my 2015....tried everything. On a hill, in drive , no braking - transmission sounds like a garbage
disposal as the LC goes backwards.

Have two other vehicles - Acura and P-Car - works as advertised.

A while back on this forum someone posted put in PWR or 2nd start mode...No workie either.

Scan_zpsyukjs6gv.jpeg~original

Lazy is the door actuators that close the door for you when you don't close the door all the way.

The brake hold/auto hold is a legitimate luxury feature, even a safety feature. A number of my customers (car sales) have told me it is one of their favorite features after I have showed it to them. Try it and tell me otherwise!

My family and friends apart from my wife slam my car doors so hard it's like they're trying to shield themselves from zombies.

When I had my luxury cars with this feature I could legitimately say: "shut it to the latch slowly and it will do it by itself."

But I don't mind the feature missing on my Landcruiser or sportscar because that would just feel weird.

My family and friends apart from my wife slam my car doors so hard it's like they're trying to shield themselves from zombies.

When I had my luxury cars with this feature I could legitimately say: "shut it to the latch slowly and it will do it by itself."

But I don't mind the feature missing on my Landcruiser or sportscar because that would just feel weird.
aaaa, ya, I have a couple friends that are like that. SLAM SLAM SLAM, I bitched at them twice, then told them they are not allowed to ride in my cars anymore. They did not like that, but hey I'm a dick like that

aaaa, ya, I have a couple friends that are like that. SLAM SLAM SLAM, I bitched at them twice, then told them they are not allowed to ride in my cars anymore. They did not like that, but hey I'm a dick like that

Are you worried something will break?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom