300 Series - any new rumors ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you look at the bottom of the top pic, you'll see a light profile drawing bleeding through from the back of the paper. Profiles are hard lol, especially with the design of the 200-series (or lack thereof) as your base.

I lived in Japan for 2 years while on active duty in the early 2000's... I'm not surpised they can keep the new models quiet.

It's designed and manufatured on an island nation by a culture of people that are perhaps the most fiercely loyal and respectful to elders than any other in the entire world. The people who work on the flagship vehicle are the most experienced personnel toyota has to offer so this isn't their first rodeo. They treasure their jobs and take great pride in them so when told if it leaks, you lose your job, no one says anything to anyone.

It's real world tested in the most remote regions of the world (and likely transported there in a container from ship then tractor trailors) while driven under wraps the entire time outside the crate. The purpose of real world testing to exercise the mechancial componenents and drivetrain so the body can be completely different than than the actual design, which is tested exclusively in a climate controlled (temp and precip including ice) wind tunnel in Japan.

there are still places on this planet that there is no cell phone signal and these are the places vehicles such as the LC are put through it's paces....

You're correct about remote testing. This also applies to film shoots to promote the LC. A director of photography I hire for projects also does a lot of work for Toyota, like this: .

These shoots are done in places like Croatia, Slovenia and Kazachstan.

Last edited:
I lived in Japan for 2 years while on active duty in the early 2000's... I'm not surpised they can keep the new models quiet.

It's designed and manufatured on an island nation by a culture of people that are perhaps the most fiercely loyal and respectful to elders than any other in the entire world. The people who work on the flagship vehicle are the most experienced personnel toyota has to offer so this isn't their first rodeo. They treasure their jobs and take great pride in them so when told if it leaks, you lose your job, no one says anything to anyone.

It's real world tested in the most remote regions of the world (and likely transported there in a container from ship then tractor trailors) while driven under wraps the entire time outside the crate. The purpose of real world testing to exercise the mechancial componenents and drivetrain so the body can be completely different than than the actual design, which is tested exclusively in a climate controlled (temp and precip including ice) wind tunnel in Japan.

there are still places on this planet that there is no cell phone signal and these are the places vehicles such as the LC are put through it's paces....

This!

I'm of the opinion that most of the automobile industry leaks are because someone in marketing wanted a leak. It just isn't that hard for a major automobile manufacture, like Toyota, to throw the components they need testing under a beat up, decade old body from a different manufacture, if they have something they really, really need to leave their proving grounds to test. And there is still plenty of large chunks of private land in remote places. There is no need to be testing on the Rubicon or Moab trails unless you want to get caught.

On the other hand, I work in an industry where employees of subcontractors can collect more than a years salary for a decent leak. I just don't see anyone paying big bucks for an early picture of the next generation LC. Maybe a competitor looking a the next minivan or Corolla, but not a 200 Series replacement.

what cruiser? did not see one in that video ;)

What do you guys think of this? You can pick yours up today for the reasonable price of $350,000.

dgzutkocaol7nh1vvlvk.jpg

zfbkfjcogvyghalvycwp.jpg

Holy s#!t is that thing ugly!

If this the LC300 I am going back to Ford Bronco. You can call me a traitor but seriously I hate that look!

Don't worry. That "melted crayon" drawing has been out for several years. It's actually not too far from the bizarre front end of the Infinity version of the Armada/Patrol. Saw one last week and couldn't believe how droopy the the front looked. Very similar to that drawing.

Given that the 200 and the Lexus have traditionally been pretty close have a look at this video which I found on YouTube. I reckon the 300 will be fairly close to this -

Given that the 200 and the Lexus have traditionally been pretty close have a look at this video which I found on YouTube. I reckon the 300 will be fairly close to this -

That's just the current LX570 with a blacked out grill.

Ok, since we are talking rumors... I was speaking with my Lexus tech writer on Friday and he is "hearing" that the next gen LX (aka Land Cruiser) will have a twin turbo 5.0 L V8 engine with HPs in the ~650 hp range. Think of the new LC-500 but with twin turbos.

Like I started with... rumors... take it with a grain of salt.

I could see that. Would give better gas milage, better performance, while not having to step down to a V6 which would not be a great fit for the platform.

Ok, since we are talking rumors... I was speaking with my Lexus tech writer on Friday and he is "hearing" that the next gen LX (aka Land Cruiser) will have a twin turbo 5.0 L V8 engine with HPs in the ~650 hp range. Think of the new LC-500 but with twin turbos.

Like I started with... rumors... take it with a grain of salt.

650 HP? No way.

Well, the LC500 is coming out with 471 HP and that is not even the F model, which will have more AND it is not turbo charged. Add twin turbos and yes, 650 is VERY doable.
Experience the dawn of a new era. Experience the Lexus LC 500 and LC 500h.

The LC500 needs 471 hp for marketing against competitors who are packing 300-450 hp in their V6/V8 models. Lexus will leave it unchanged for a while and the German competitors will outclass it in that metric soon enough. Just like with the 5.7 motor in our trucks.

The LX competes with trucks that have about 400 hp. The Cayenne Turbo or Range Rover SVR have less than 600.

650 is doable but Toyota is the last company I'd expect to do it - especially on a flagship model that embodies reliability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom