300,000 miles! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I haven't posted in a long time, as my truck has been trouble-free (knock on wood), and I've had no reason to search this forum for tech tips. However, as my odometer was getting ready to roll over to 300,000, I thought it was time to do some preventive maintenance. Here's what I did over the weekend.

1. Baby got new shoes! Just installed new Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3 tires (LT285/75R16). I got about 100,000 miles on my previous tires (Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2s). The guys at Costco tire center did not believe that these tires had 100K miles on them - they were guessing about 50K based on the tread wear. I love these tires! I think the secret to the long life on these tires was keeping the tire pressure at 40PSI. Instead of the OEM door sticker pressure of 35 PSI, I went to the Bridgestone load rating chart, and used the appropriate pressure for LT tires on this truck, with my typical use and load. Anyway, I love these Revo 3s, and hope to get another 100,000 miles on them.

2. On the way home from getting new tires, I went to my mechanic shop and got a four wheel alignment done, to ensure that my new tires would last me another 100K miles.

3. Last week, my engine started running a little rough, and I got a P0305 code on my OBD reader. So, I changed out the plug and coil on cylinder #5, and all was well again (I always keep one plug and coil on hand for "emergencies"). Since I hadn't changed plugs/coils in over 100,000 miles, I thought I might as well replace all the plugs/coils. I ordered Denso SK20R11 iridium plugs and Toyota 90919-02230 coils on Amazon, and got to work as soon they arrived on my doorstep. All the coils came out easily enough (except for #7 - drivers side, near firewall - total PITA), and then all the plugs came out easily and looked great (except for #1, with easiest access). Something was preventing me from getting the spark plug socket onto the #1 plug, so I couldn't turn it. After looking down into the spark plug well, I could see that the PO must have had a coil boot melt onto the top of the spark plug, not allowing me to get the socket onto the hex nut of the plug. After thinking about this problem over a few beers and a cigar, I tackled the problem. I used a hacksaw blade to insert it down into the plug well, to break away and cut the melted rubber boot. Every time I made a little progress, I used my shop vacuum to suck up the bits and pieces of the rubber. I taped a 1/2" diameter plastic tube onto the end of the vac hose so I could get all the way down into the plug well. Using a flashlight, I was able to see when all the rubber pieces were out. This was painstaking work that took me about two hours. Finally, I was able to get the socket onto the plug, and carefully start turning it. Before I turned the plug completely out, I continued to vacuum the plug well to ensure no bits of debris were going to fall into the cylinder. Finally, after pulling the spark plug out, I used a screwdriver and rag soaked with carb cleaner to clean off the metal surface of the cylinder head to ensure the new spark plug had a clean surface for the crush washer. BTW, I did not use any anti-seize on the plug threads, since the consensus seems to be - don't.

4. While I had the air box out, I cleaned out my throttle body. Using carb cleaner and lots of rags and a toothbrush, I was able to clean out everything I could reach without removing the throttle body assembly, and holding the butterfly valve open. I also cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner.

5. Before this, my truck had always idled at about 600RPM, which was a little lower than FSM spec (700RPM +/- 50). After the new plugs/coils and cleaning the TB and MAF sensor, my truck now idles right at 700RPM, and runs smooth as butter!

Now I'm looking forward to the next 100,000 miles! Hoping to join the half million mile club!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom