300,000 mile service recommendations - with coolant leak! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my '02 LC has 297k miles on it... and a few drops in the garage of red coolant. From what I can see, it's coming from the front, near the top, probably part of the coolant intake/water pump assembly.

With that in mind, knowing the amount of work involved... what does everyone recommend for maintenance at this point?
Important Facts:
- Original Radiator
- 2nd timing belt, but at the second change (previous owner) did not replace the water pump. Timing belt changed near 220,000.
- fairly pristine hurdy in all other respects, and mostly stock.
- front diff mount (dog bone?) needs to be replaced as well.

For those that have crossed the mileage mark, or have tackled a radiator and timing belt job at the same time, chime in!

Find out where the coolant is coming from and fix that.
Right, so I've got that... it's coming from the coolant intake piping on the front of the engine. If I am going to fix that, why not fix more while I am at it? Preventative maintenance, right? 300,000 is a lot of miles on the original rad...

rad, heater T's, belts? hoses? fan bracket?
when was the timing belt done?

some people have broken the pipe with the oring

rad, heater T's, belts? hoses? fan bracket?
when was the timing belt done?

some people have broken the pipe with the oring

Heater T's were done already... hoses have not been done, nor has the fan bracket... I'm not sure what the fan bracket is...

Timing belt last done at 220,000.

fan bracket is what the fan clutch attaches to and spins.
your call on doing the timing belt, I probably would as it would all need to come apart again shortly
for me it is worth it to change all the hoses at the same time.
did you change the hoses at the T's when they were done?

So my '02 LC has 297k miles on it... and a few drops in the garage of red coolant. From what I can see, it's coming from the front, near the top, probably part of the coolant intake/water pump assembly.

With that in mind, knowing the amount of work involved... what does everyone recommend for maintenance at this point?
Important Facts:
- Original Radiator
- 2nd timing belt, but at the second change (previous owner) did not replace the water pump. Timing belt changed near 220,000.
- fairly pristine hurdy in all other respects, and mostly stock.
- front diff mount (dog bone?) needs to be replaced as well.

For those that have crossed the mileage mark, or have tackled a radiator and timing belt job at the same time, chime in!

I'm at almost 400k on original radiator but I know I'm probably on borrowed time at this point and plan to drive this vehicle well over 500k, maybe to 600k. Is yours shot? Probably not. 80k is a decent interval on the timing belt so might as well change it, and def the water pump, and fan bracket. Change the radiator if you don't want to have to think about it again for decades. Hoses are cheap insurance, might as well change them.

Ok, so it looks like I can get the AISIN kit with fan bracket from Amazon for $270.

Where do folks source the radiator? Partsouq wants $700 for it! Same question for the hoses too - best source?

Thanks!

Ok, so it looks like I can get the AISIN kit with fan bracket from Amazon for $270.

Where do folks source the radiator? Partsouq wants $700 for it! Same question for the hoses too - best source?

Thanks!

as long as it is truly Aisin. just because it says Aisin doesn't mean it really is Aisin

couple of dealers give good discounts

What about the rad and the hoses? I see some kits out there with silicone hoses... worth it?

At 300k, I would do:
OEM radiator (I got mine from Olathe)
OEM T-stat
OEM rad cap
Every hose, OEM (including the two under the car that go to the rear heater core)
Every hose clamp, OEM
Tees if they are older than 60k miles/6 years

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents worth as my original owner 1998 100 sits at ~450k miles: at 300k i would replace all engine soft parts - hoses (use only Toyota hose clamps), belts, etc. Replace all fluids (not flush). Replace water pump. Repack wheel bearings (messy and most likely not done already). Check suspension closely. Replace all air filters. I would use only Toyota original parts.

Then gas it up and go for an adventure. It deserves it!

Did my radiator almost exactly a year ago. The best deal I could find at the time for a Toyota radiator came from my local dealer's online portal.

Thanks!

Latest consensus seems to be there are fake Aisin kits on Amazon, might be best to source that stuff from one of our supporting vendors.

I suggest look for it online with your VIN to get the correct one and run the part number till you find the lowest price dealer.

Best place for Toyota OEM? and by best, I'm asking for best deal/cheapest....
Right now the yen/dollar ration is very favorable for US purchasers. I've recently bought a lot of parts from Impex Japan; not everything is deeply discounted, but many things are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom