3 wire LED Flasher solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ry24000

SILVER Star
Threads
I have read a ton on Flasher assemblies here on MUD. With the addition of LED's on older LC's there seems to be solutions to the 2 wire flasher equiped rigs, but not a clear solution to the 3 wire rigs! I have a 3 wire on my PIG. I have not seen a thread on a solution to adding LED's in the blinker light circuits. I tried a 3 wire from Super Bright LED, the red box, and could not get it to work. I did see a post where a guy with a '74 used two 2 wire flashers that worked until he used the brakes.
Any thoughts or proven remedy's
BTW I have been wrestling electrical gremlins knocking them out one at a time. I am fully aware that crappy grounds and corroded connections play havoc on low volt DC systems. I have cleaned connections, rebuilt switches, and got things working. Every circuit was working until I added the LED's the flasher just turns the lights on, but it won't flash. I assume the bimetalic strip in the old flasher won't get hot enough to bend. The new flasher I tried does the same thing for whatever reason. Thanks.

Did you try @Coolerman ?

FFA6A4DB-AC5C-4A8C-BF24-D1205EA6BB72.jpeg

I checked Coolerman's site and didn't see anything that is guaranteed to work. I also saw a thread started by him asking about the 3 wire setup. The thread went dead and I posted a picture and asked what happened with the project.

I did a thread a few years ago on putting leds in my Pig. It's in the 55 section. Called "putting a Coolerman 40 flasher in a 55" or something like that...

Thank you pighead. I just brushed over it quickly sounds like two relay's are needed for each load circuit with a common battery. I'll read it again to confirm.

Thank you pighead. I just brushed over it quickly sounds like two relay's are needed for each load circuit with a common battery. I'll read it again to confirm.
I don't know if two relays are needed, it could probably be done better cheaper faster by someone who knows what they're doing. It still works. It's got a strange blinky rhythm, but it works

Eureka I think I may have figured something out. I have been looking at the schematic diagram from the FSM that shows the '75 year model. Tracing the current flow you can clearly see that the hazard switch bipasses the turn signal. The flasher assembly has two power sources(two inputs) one which is keyed on and one always on(the hazards work with or without the key on) and a single output. the output is wired to the turn signal sw and back to the hazard sw. When the turn signal is switched a path to ground is made and the flasher does it's thing. Like wise when the hazard switch is pulled a series of contacts are made including the non keyed power source and a path(s) bipassing the turn sw.
The little red box flasher i mentioned earlier in the post that I could not get to work was because I connected it exactly opposite of my initial thought. I was thinking single input two output. Nope two inputs, single out, the lights are common to both power sources. I reconnected the little red flasher and BANG everything works great. No sound though! If you want the sound then you got to install a sound device.
Here is a picture of the Super Bright LED 3 prong flasher
IMG_20221216_165135554.jpg

Here is a picture of how I hooked it up to make it work
IMG_20221217_205952532.jpg

I depinned the stock connector to test it out. I bought another connector and will repin it with the factory spades and finalize the install in the morning. No cutting or splicing necessary.
Wired: green/blue wire=P(5)
: green/white=49(1)
: green=49a(2)
I hope this helps others in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom