3 speed transfer case shifter(s)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With the SM420 swap I am performing I considered a much easier way to accomplish the transfer case linkage. Instead of using the guide that directed the shifter from 2 to 4 to 4L in the OEM set-up, I was thinking of dual shifters that independently performed each function. I will have one for 2wd to 4wd and one for high to low. &nbsp:Does anyone see a mechanical issue with the transfer case shifting from high to low in 2 wheel drive?
Thanks
Pablo

This has been discussed here and on CCOT before, and the general consensus was that it should not hurt anything, in fact might come in handy if you were, say pulling a boat up a steep ramp on solid pavement and didn't want to engage 4WD but needed low range for pulling power.
HTH :)
Ed Long

Pablo,
As a matter of fact, you can leave out the"gate" plate on the stock TC shifter and accomplish the same thing. The only precaution you need to take is, go easy on the gas pedal, because you can deliver a lot of torque to ONE diff, which can have some severe consequences for drivelines, u joints and axles. I don't know whether you are running a stock powerplant or a V8. The 420 already has a fairly low 1st gear.
Ed
P.S. No wheelstands! ;)

I was thinking more about getting out of a situation where the spining front is undesirable or the front 3rd is shot and you want to sleep in your bed.
Pablo

Same laws of physics apply. Power normally split between 2 diffs now going to only one. Just don't break anything. My rig is a DD so I'm out of my league with wheelers. Sorry
Ed

TRe: 3 speed transfer case shifter(s)?

This is why AA sells a twin stick adapter for LC, almost specifically for SMxxx tranny conversions, they adjust to any length, and make it easy for someone like me without the patience and fabbing skills to make their own linkage. ;)

I've tried to find that on their site w/o any luck. Would you be so kind as to post a link for the twin stick?

I think there is one for sale on Ebay and it's only 10 bux right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom