3 speed auto with 3 speed dual shift transfer case issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just bought a 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser fj40 and as the 350 small block conversion with a three on the floor and dual-stick transfer case. I am having a very hard time trying to figure out how it shifts and I am wondering if anyone has the same setup or close to and can give me a little advice and help me figure out how to drive this thing.

So I just bought a 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser fj40 and as the 350 small block conversion with a three on the floor and dual-stick transfer case. I am having a very hard time trying to figure out how it shifts and I am wondering if anyone has the same setup or close to and can give me a little advice and help me figure out how to drive this thing.
It also has a Dana 60 front and rear axles

So if its the stk manual 3 speed on the floor the shift pattern is an "H" pattern: Its shifting instruction should be on the glove box door.

reverse ..........2nd.
1st ....................3rd.

1st is not synchronized, so it may grind into 1st if the vehicle is moving . On the twin stick, one shifter is for the range, the other is for 2wd and 4wd. 2wd drive is probaly forward. Pull it back for 4wd the the driveshaft should spin.
High range
Neutral
Low range,

Last edited:
Generally, one stick is for engaging the front drive and the other is for engaging low range. I think in most applications, the left stick is for Low range and the right stick is for front drive, but it depends on who built it.
Pics would help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom