3 point seat belts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I need to retrofit 83 FJ60 rear seat belts from lap to 3 point seatbelts. I need to know if I can do it or not, & where can I get the retrofit seatbelt. Thanks,

I have done this retrofit in my FJ 60 using rear 3 point belts and trim from an FJ62. Mark W has recently done the same retrofit and probably did it more smoothly than I did as he wisely chose to secure the retractor mounting bolts facing outward. In any event, the upper mounting hole and nut in the pillar is crucial. Ours had the hole and nut; you can feel the hole impression beneath the fabric. However, I've heard that sometimes the mounting nut is not there. If this is the case, my preparation research told me you can drill a 1and 1/2 inch hole below the hole and with your first two fingers hold an appropriate nut and fender washer inside the pillar to secure the upper seat belt mount. The hole can be plugged with a 1 and 1/2 inch plastic plug which will be covered by the seat belts. Once this is done, you need to drill a hole through the wheel well to mount the lower mounting point. The exact drill position is marked by a circular hole in the wheel well trim cover. The last part of the installation requires cutting an approximately 4x4 space and drilling mounting holes for mounting the retractors. I used a dremel tool and about ten small cutting wheels. Once the belts are mounted you can finish the installation with the 62 trim. I then cut the side panels back to meet the 62 trim.

Need rear 3 point belts!!!!! Help!!

I need to do almopst the same thing here. I have an 88 FJ62 and need to install shoulder belts in the back. I know of the OEM kit that will provide a fixed should strap, but I'd rather have a retractable belt. I've also read the posting on using the Volvo 240 wagon setup but I was wondering a few things before I attempt the swap.

• Has anyone tried to modify a front 3 point seat belt from a 62 for the back seat?
  • Has anyone located a company that has a pre done solution?
  • What other attemps have been tried, I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel, but the pesky offspring need seat belts :confused:

Thanks for any help. :steer:

You all keep saying that you "need" to do this. Why do you NEED to do it? So law change that I should be aware of? ;)

You all keep saying that you "need" to do this. Why do you NEED to do it? So law change that I should be aware of? ;)

Make it safer for his kids maybe?? Wants to make it safer for back seat passengers in general? s***, most people who hop in the back seat of my rig never use the seat belts just because they're lap belts.

For me, it's just a safety/convience thing since I have 3 kids, 2 in booster seats. And the sholder belts seem to be easier for the kids to do themselves.

I was just being a pain in the ass :flipoff2:

I too would like to add the 3 point in the back seats some day, but I just found it funny that in the first post they used the word "need". But then again, i am a bit of a :wrench:

:hillbilly:

X2 on the search!
I posted up on my conversion but PM me if you have any ???s after you search.
I gave Toyota part #s and prices in my previous posts. Its inexpensive, fairly easy, and good for the kids.
The only drawback is that the shoulder part of the belt rides high, but there are seat belt adjusters for kids that bring it down enough to be safe.
Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom