3/8" synthetic replacement line: what do you all use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
I've got a VR10000S that has a fray near the front of the line. I could cut it and re-splice it, but its getting to be a few years old and the safety conscious guy in me wants to replace it.

I've seen that warn wants $260 or so for the line. What other options have you all had good luck with?

I would cut it, re-splice it and use it for an extension for distance anchor points.

There is a lot of options online so hard to say.....I had bought 150ft of bulk 3/8's synthetic by Samson online and spliced it myself for my 8274

I bought mine from Viking, but they're no longer in business so not much help.

Lots of vendors sell 3/8" line though.

I recommend purchasing bulk line from a reputable marine or rigging company. You want to trust you are getting what you pay for. I am a big fan of Sampson rope. Their website is very educational whether you buy their product or not.

Another Samson vote.

I have 3/8“ Amsteel Blue on my Warn M12K & I don’t see any need to change to anything else.

In 3/8” I want to say your safe working load was a tick shy of 20K (in my head I know I’m safe all day long saying 18K) - so it is stout stuff.

Like suggested, keep your old stuff & make leader line out of - or soft shackles, etc.

You can youtube how to make a fid to weave eyes, etc - it’s useful to know once you can do that yourself.

Careful there Linus, 3/8" Samson Amsteel Blue has a manufacturers published minimum BREAKING strength of 17600lb, not a SWL of just under 20,000lb. The safe working load is the minimum breaking load divided by the safety factor, which is often 5:1 for rigging....

@roalco - Good catch - yes, you’re right for the basic & I had to go look in my Excel file as to why I had shy of 20 safe working and a good margin to break -30K was my mental “break spec”.

I bought mine via Masterpull in Bellingham (they storefront for Samson/Amsteel as they are based in Ferndale).

I have 125’ of the mid-grade, here:

-So you were right for the entry Amsteel rope, I’d gotten my mid-level as a over-run discount on the black color, otherwise I bet I’d have the ~7/16” or 1/2” standard line.

I’m glad I kept my Excel doc updated, otherwise I’d be wondering where I had gotten the spec I’d been mentally running on.
I splurged on the 18K Warn Epic snatch & the big-boy Bubba soft shackles, so I’d known I bought stout line for a M12K winch.

Either way, anybody should look at the specs themselves & decide on what grade to buy.

Hindsight - a M12k spool would hold 125’ of either 7/16 or 1/2 rope. So you could get ~30K rated rope for probably less $$ than my 3/8 mid-grade would MSRP for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom