2nd oil change and opened the filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I've got 2,500 miles on my rebuild. I changed the oil and filter at 500 miles and again tonite at 2,500 miles. I got a wild hair and opened the can on the filter with a tinsnip, there's enough glitter in there to make a juice-bar stripper jealous. There is enough metal to fill the bottom of a baby spoon, is this normal at this point in the break-in? Oil pressure needle has always layed on top of high mark on the gauge.

Side note, if your ordering Amsoil, order a week in advance. I ordered a case of syn. 75-90w monday, shipped out of Wichita KS. same day. They found my order somewhere in Kentucky today, I live in Nebraska.

It should be fine. I usually change after the first 15 minutes of run in then again after test driving it around maybe 2 hrs of clock time then again after 500 miles then @ 1000 miles then let it go for another 2000 then go back to normal changes.

The little crap in there is just parts of bearings and machine scraps that got caught up in the filter like they should be.

I am with DD...

I change oil far more frequently on a new engine initially, just to make sure there is not anything floating in the mix that could cause a problem.

I guess that I would change it out, run it for 50-75 miles, drop it again, and see what you have...

Did you install a new cam and followers/lifters? How many times have you re-tourqed the head and valve mechanism, and checked the valve celarences since initiall start-up?

HHHHHMMMMM

That makes me feel a little better, I've done alot of rebuilds, just never opened a filter during break-in. I'll run it just a little and swap the filter and see what I got then.

I didn't replace the push rods or rockers, everything else is new. I've retorqued the head a couple times and adjusted the valves a few times, but after the first adjustment, the valves really never took much to get into spec.

Was just wondering about the top end(valves) I know a few people that have had bad things happen from the top down because of incorrect valve lash...

Good luck!

-Steve

Took the paper element and oil from the inside of the filter to my machine shop today. He told me that opening a filter on a motor that was being "broke-in" was the worse thing you can do, scares the hell out of a person and leaves them wondering when the motor is going to blow up. In reality, it's totally normal. After seeing what looked like half a rod bearing ground up inside the filter, I'm glad I was using a good filter, and I'll never run a cheapy Wal-mart Fram again.

frams are pretty good as filters go. no affiliation, just my experience.

For filtering power (and internal rigidity) Fram is on bottom of the list. In addition they cause a fair amount of oil pressure drop over better brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom