Dead battery. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jLB

Another one followed me home. Can we keep it?
Threads
My son had a bad day today. “Dash clicking” during an attempted start…

I’m still working through my fatherly stupidity phase, and with my son’s quick “IH8MUD” diagnosis, he had pinpointed the problem to “a blown fuse”, or “immobilizer issue”. Curiously enough, my NOCO 3000A jump box seemed to solve the “no start” problem, but “low RPM” seemed to stall the vehicle.

“Stupid dad”, didn’t want to risk driving home on a “flat battery”, so we replaced the battery (in a parking lot), and made it home.

Last edited:
Nicely done. Was the battery older and/or had been overly discharged repeatedly?
Yes, both. Part of my post coronapocalypse, “SLA battery is just as good as an expensive AGM experiment”.

Thus far, SLA=/=AGM, and dad = “not as stupid as previously thought”, especially in 109*+ temperatures. 😂

Yes, both. Part of my 0
post coronapocalypse, “SLA battery is just as good as an expensive AGM experiment”.

Thus far, SLA=/=AGM, and dad = “not as stupid as previously thought”, especially in 109*+ temperatures. 😂
You seem like a great dad, and we all (or most of us) let some things slide until they become issues. Good on you for being there to educate your kid and help him resolve the issue.

You seem like a great dad, and we all (or most of us) let some things slide until they become issues. Good on you for being there to educate your kid and help him resolve the issue.
Well, it did offer the opportunity to describe “blown fuse”, vs “immobilizer”, vs “dead battery” symptoms.

And maybe “dad” isn’t so bad at diagnosing problems by description (or over FaceTime).😂

The funny part was someone in a newer black Mercedes S-class stopped by to check on us, as we were swapping the battery (at the Houston Phonecia on Westheimer). He asked what kind of problem we were having with our 100-series. He seemed relieved that is was just a battery, explained that he owned three 100-series, and asked if we were interested is selling.

I may have been a little curt, as it was 109*, I was hot , tired, maybe a little frustrated, mildly concerned about the guy across the parking lot that was yelling and seemingly trying to get in a fight, and explained that I also owned three 100-series, and was probably more of a “buyer”, than a “seller”.

If this person is on IH8MUD, I apologize, and would love to discuss Land Cruisers (or LXs) under better conditions.

The funny part was someone in a newer black Mercedes S-class stopped by to check on us, as we were swapping the battery (at the Houston Phonecia on Westheimer). He asked what kind of problem we were having with our 100-series. He seemed relieved that is was just a battery, explained that he owned three 100-series, and asked if we were interested is selling.

I may have been a little curt, as it was 109*, I was hot , tired, maybe a little frustrated, mildly concerned about the guy across the parking lot that was yelling and seemingly trying to get in a fight, and explained that I also owned three 100-series, and was probably more of a “buyer”, than a “seller”.

If this person is on IH8MUD, I apologize, and would love to discuss Land Cruisers (or LXs) under better conditions.
Seriously dude, I was just trying to help. And maybe get a good deal. 🤣

Man I understand you 100% haha. Very cool story nonetheless!

Yes, both. Part of my post coronapocalypse, “SLA battery is just as good as an expensive AGM experiment”.

I looked for a thread but I couldn't find one. What was your conclusion for your high temps and battery types?

I looked for a thread but I couldn't find one. What was your conclusion for your high temps and battery types?
High temps are/were just Texas summer weather, and physical labor in those temps 🥵

The pandemic was hard on the batteries in my vehicles. I needed to replace 3 batteries in one weekend. I installed one 27F AGM, and two 24F SLA batteries. One of the 24F SLA batteries “hiccuped”, causing the above event. Not sure that it’s “dead”, but not sure that I trust it either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom