2LT problems after shop tried to reseal IP , need the 2LT guru's on this one (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joekatana

GOLD Star
Threads
So I actually sold my little LJ73 after driving it for most of 2020 and right before sending it off to the new owner I notice a small diesel leak from the IP. I brought it to a local Diesel shop to reseal it and provided the Bosch overhaul kit , after they resealed the pump it has zero power , they state that they did not adjust any of the settings but at this point I strongly doubt that. They tried to adjust it a bit more and when I went to test drive it today I managed to get it up to 60mph after several minutes of trying to get there and also noticed a rubbery kind of smell that was not there before.

Any of the 2LT guru's got a idea what this could be ? This LJ73 ran 75 mph on the highway with zero issues before and I hope to get it back there.

@joekatana , I'm definitely not a guru, but is there a chance maybe the timing belt jumped a tooth when you first started it up? That may be the only think I could think of that smells like rubber.

I just had my pump rebuilt last year (same symptom... just a few drops of diesel in the driveway after shutdown). The shop that did my re-build didn't ask me one question about what vehicle it came out of. I thought that was strange, since I figured there must be different settings for different vehicles. I even offered that info, and the gal at the desk didn't even write it down.

I had a lot of trouble priming my IP / Fuel System after getting it back from the rebuild shop. I had to bleed all 4 lines at the injectors to get it to start. It ran smooth after that. It has been running smooth since. I really can't think of any else, but maybe the timing belt jumped a tooth, or the system may have some residual air.

I hope you get it sorted, Joe.

R/
Don

@joekatana , I'm definitely not a guru, but is there a chance maybe the timing belt jumped a tooth when you first started it up? That may be the only think I could think of that smells like rubber.

I just had my pump rebuilt last year (same symptom... just a few drops of diesel in the driveway after shutdown). The shop that did my re-build didn't ask me one question about what vehicle it came out of. I thought that was strange, since I figured there must be different settings for different vehicles. I even offered that info, and the gal at the desk didn't even write it down.

I had a lot of trouble priming my IP / Fuel System after getting it back from the rebuild shop. I had to bleed all 4 lines at the injectors to get it to start. It ran smooth after that. It has been running smooth since. I really can't think of any else, but maybe the timing belt jumped a tooth, or the system may have some residual air.

I hope you get it sorted, Joe.

R/
Don
Thanks but I left the LJ at their shop , I doubt that it would be the timing belt but you never know of course . I hope they figure it out soon but I feel like they either installed something wrong in the IP or hooked something up the wrong way ?

@joekatana , Just curious what does a IP re-build cost in Texas these days? Vegas was $800 in the spring of 2020. My friend in SF Bay Area just paid $1500 this past month. Had he known, he would have mailed it to me to take it to the local shop.

On a side note, my 2LT-II from Japan... you really had to "interpolate" a bit on the Crank and Cam markings. There was actually a permanent marker , "marking" on the cam timing gear that if I had lined mine up on there, it would have been off by a tooth. I probably drank a beer or two, prior to making a decision on that point. Most shops do things faster than owners would, it could be that. Bottom line, the marks on the cam & crank were not dead nuts on with the marks on the oil pump/timing cover back plate.

So I actually sold my little LJ73 after driving it for most of 2020 and right before sending it off to the new owner I notice a small diesel leak from the IP. I brought it to a local Diesel shop to reseal it and provided the Bosch overhaul kit , after they resealed the pump it has zero power , they state that they did not adjust any of the settings but at this point I strongly doubt that. They tried to adjust it a bit more and when I went to test drive it today I managed to get it up to 60mph after several minutes of trying to get there and also noticed a rubbery kind of smell that was not there before.

Any of the 2LT guru's got a idea what this could be ? This LJ73 ran 75 mph on the highway with zero issues before and I hope to get it back there.

I resealed a leaking 2LT-II (mechanical injection) pump for a friend. We had exactly the same problem when the unit was put back on the truck (minus the smell). It turned out the throttle linkage was put back on the splined shaft (that goes through top of injection pump) just one spline wrong. We pulled the linkage part back off, moved it one spline in the direction that gives more fuel, and he was good to go!

If they did not mark this when they resealed the pump, there is a super high chance they made the same mistake. Would be an easy thing for you to try at least.

JPEG_20170505_123920__6411_6411.jpg

Last edited:
Joe, did they mess with the fuel screw? I have been off on the throttle spline before and didn't really notice a big difference but that was on my 1HZ (similar style pump I presume).

The rubber smell has me confused. Stuck pulley maybe?

Just to be clear , I haven’t done anything to it . I was super busy and dropped the cruiser off at a local diesel shop and they are doing the work , I am on a roadtrip now and will be back on Wednesday and be looking in to this again, at this point I am afraid they effed up and have no clue where they took a wrong turn.

Got the LJ finally back from the shop together with a pretty hefty bill and a vague answer on what went wrong , it was very coincidental that they "fixed" it after I send them the info Nick send me here , pretty sure that was exactly what went wrong in the first place.

@GTSSportCoupe thanks again man for sharing this information

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom