2L-T glow plug operation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i've got a 1990 hilux surf with a 2L-T in it, and i'm trying to diagnose why the glow plugs aren't heating very effectively. when i turn the key i hear the relay click, i get 10 volts to glow plug rail for about 8 seconds, then i hear the relay click off and there's no power at all. is this normal operation for my engine's relay? i've read that some relays from this era are meant to provide a burst of full power and then drop down to half power (5 volts in my case i guess) for some extended period of time to help with cold starts. does anyone know if my plugs are supposed to be doing that? or are they just supposed to come on at 10 volts for a while then turn off, like mine are currently doing?

i've got a 1990 hilux surf with a 2L-T in it, and i'm trying to diagnose why the glow plugs aren't heating very effectively. when i turn the key i hear the relay click, i get 10 volts to glow plug rail for about 8 seconds, then i hear the relay click off and there's no power at all. is this normal operation for my engine's relay? i've read that some relays from this era are meant to provide a burst of full power and then drop down to half power (5 volts in my case i guess) for some extended period of time to help with cold starts. does anyone know if my plugs are supposed to be doing that? or are they just supposed to come on at 10 volts for a while then turn off, like mine are currently doing?

They should be getting closer to 11V for the 8 seconds. Usually it drops to 6V for another minute or so. Check your electrical connections at the glow rail and at your battery. Make sure everything is clean. Do you have a dual or single battery system? How old are your batteries?

Also, you can remove the glow rail, and test the resistance of each of your glow plugs to make sure they are not burnt out.

Is your the 2LTE or the 2LT-II? (electronic or mechanical injection?) I've got a 1990 Hilux Surf with the 2LT-II and dual battery. Starts like a champ every time. Way better than my single battery 2LTE Prado has ever started.

okay thank you, i intend to take everything apart soon and test to see if any of the plugs are faulty because that'd definitely explain it. it's just a 2L-T, not E, with a single battery system. it's good to know that it is indeed supposed to be supplying a lower voltage after the initial 10-11 volts so i'll take a look at the plug controller and see what's up with that. i may just wire a switch to supply the full 11 volts for as long as i want if it looks like something's wrong with the controller itself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom