2L head exhaust manifold bolt pattern differences? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RufusTheDufus

SILVER Star
Threads
I need to replace the leaky exhaust manifold gasket on my 84 JDM Hilux with the 2.4liter 2L engine. I purchased Toyota part number 17173-54030 from Ebay. That part number is supposed to fit the 2L, 3L and 5L series but it doesn't fit the 2L in my truck. I ordered 17173-54011 (superseded by 54012) which also fits the older 2.2liter L engine. It hasn't arrived yet so I don't know if it will fit.

The 54030 part sits about 1cm too low when it's slid onto the manifold bolts. It partially blocks the top part of the exhaust port and hangs below the bottom of the manifold.

I have the older cast iron style head. Does the exhaust manifold gasket change with the switch to the aluminum heads on the later 2L engines? Just trying to understand so I don't make the same mistake again in the future.

The 17173-54012 gasket will fit:

A lot changes between the early and late 2L/2LT (I think both are cast iron heads though?)

I'm kinda curious about the differences between the early/late 2L series. I think I'll need to get on some of the Aussie forums and educate myself.

I'm kinda curious about the differences between the early/late 2L series. I think I'll need to get on some of the Aussie forums and educate myself.

They're basically different motors. Really the only things the same are the displacement and engine mount and bell housing bolt patterns. Every other part has been revised and updated. Here are some examples of major differences. Basically the motors got stronger and better as the years went by (with the exception of the crappy cylinder heads from 1989-1994 or so - they were improved after that).

Early one:
- Many have a 6 bolt crank and smaller flywheel
- Smaller big end rod journals
- Mechanical injection only - 9mm injection pump
- Totally different injectors
- Completely different cylinder head (rocker OHC, different valves, precups etc.)
- Pretty much all accessories are different
- Turbo has a smaller compressor and larger turbine, some not water cooled.
- Manifolds different
- Oil pump, timing belt, water pump, t-stat housing etc. all different.

Late one:
- 8 bolt crank and larger flywheels
- Larger big end rod journals
- Mechanical or electronic injection - 10mm pump.
- Has crank position sensor in electronic version
- Different injectors
- Different cylinder head (Shim over bucket OHC - (valves, springs, retainers, shims all same size as 1HZ,1PZ,1HDT series)
- Turbo has larger compressor and smaller turbine, all water cooled.
- etc.

And most people don't know, but there is a third version 2LT-II/2LTE that has a ton more changes. I don't know tons about it, but here is what I do know.
- Runs a CT9 turbo instead of the CT20A. The CT9 has a much smaller compressor/turbine, so probably spools super quick.
- Revised cylinder heads (better)
- New t-stat housing (better)
- Different cross pipe over engine - nice cast aluminum
- 70A Alternator
- Different injector nozzles (and slightly different bodies, but still interchangeable)
- Tons more minor differences.
- Different oil cooler

They're basically different motors. Really the only things the same are the displacement and engine mount and bell housing bolt patterns. Every other part has been revised and updated. Here are some examples of major differences. Basically the motors got stronger and better as the years went by (with the exception of the crappy cylinder heads from 1989-1994 or so - they were improved after that).

Early one:
- Many have a 6 bolt crank and smaller flywheel
- Smaller big end rod journals
- Mechanical injection only - 9mm injection pump
- Totally different injectors
- Completely different cylinder head (rocker OHC, different valves, precups etc.)
- Pretty much all accessories are different
- Turbo has a smaller compressor and larger turbine, some not water cooled.
- Manifolds different
- Oil pump, timing belt, water pump, t-stat housing etc. all different.

Late one:
- 8 bolt crank and larger flywheels
- Larger big end rod journals
- Mechanical or electronic injection - 10mm pump.
- Has crank position sensor in electronic version
- Different injectors
- Different cylinder head (Shim over bucket OHC - (valves, springs, retainers, shims all same size as 1HZ,1PZ,1HDT series)
- Turbo has larger compressor and smaller turbine, all water cooled.
- etc.

And most people don't know, but there is a third version 2LT-II/2LTE that has a ton more changes. I don't know tons about it, but here is what I do know.
- Runs a CT9 turbo instead of the CT20A. The CT9 has a much smaller compressor/turbine, so probably spools super quick.
- Revised cylinder heads (better)
- New t-stat housing (better)
- Different cross pipe over engine - nice cast aluminum
- 70A Alternator
- Different injector nozzles (and slightly different bodies, but still interchangeable)
- Tons more minor differences.
- Different oil cooler

Is the different oil cooler you mention the horizontal filter orientation, with two bolts for the heat exchanger flange rather than three? My 3L cooler was like that but runs a smaller filter than the turbo motors got.

Related to the tstat discussion in another thread, the later (95+?) 2lte diagrams call out the same 16340-54010 stat used in the 5L/5LE. Not to mention the housing gasket crosses over between early and late models, so we may be onto something there...

Is the different oil cooler you mention the horizontal filter orientation, with two bolts for the heat exchanger flange rather than three? My 3L cooler was like that but runs a smaller filter than the turbo motors got.

Related to the tstat discussion in another thread, the later (95+?) 2lte diagrams call out the same 16340-54010 stat used in the 5L/5LE. Not to mention the housing gasket crosses over between early and late models, so we may be onto something there...

The different filter orientations are within specific years just for different models. I was getting more at the 2 vs 3 bolt thing.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Funny that people with the latest 2LTEs (LN165 for example) don't seem to have heat issues like the early motors do. I could be that the newer thermostat housing style has superior flow characteristics. I also found that some of the later motors run 82C t-stats instead of the earlier 88C t-stats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom