2L diesel swapped 1986 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I may have sourced a 3L pump. Can you run those on the early style 2L?

I may have sourced a 3L pump. Can you run those on the early style 2L?
I believe so.. however I know the 3l timing belt pully is wider, so you may need to swap pullys

another thing, have you tried running it on just a small fuel can, like a -2 gallon with short lines in the engine bay to bypass all of your fuel tank/ lines?

Look what arrived in the mail today! Though the pump is missing the cold idle plunger and the tach probe that was in the ad photo. A little pissed off about that, I need the tach probe. Messaged the seller and am gonna see if it was a simple mistake. I'll get them to send me the tach or I'll get ebay involded.
IMG_9529.JPG
IMG_9530.JPG

bummer about the missing parts, hopefully you can just swap the tach sensor from your old pump!

Yea that's a pain, I just replaced my injection pump with a used one. Got lucky, it was an older style pump but I managed to tune it up and she's now pushing 24psi, never seeing over 1200* sustained. She hauls ass and spins the tires. I've put her through her paces now and she hasn't skipped a beat.

I actually just got super lucky and picked up a 91 Mitsubishi Strada 2.5L 4D56 turbo diesel, 4 door RHD... Dream truck.

I'm going to solid axle swap it and lock it, and never look back. Plan is to drive it all over north america. I may even slap an import camper on the back of it. Can't wait for the adventures.

received_550996666988845.jpeg

Installed the pump. Runs smooth once its going. Not sure what all this knock is. I'm so done with this money pit right now. Any ideas I would greatly appreciate. I can't get it to idle down so I'm thinking the fuel screw was set too high. I'll go in and adjust it when the temperatures get above freezing again.

It's hard to stay positive after dumping close to 4000 in a motor that still doesn't run right.

Here's some videos.

Sounds close , looks like a fuel thing, is your pump timed right x2? Don't know if you spill time your engine and pump. Also sounds like fan is hitting something?

Still blown out about the weather contrast to here, I shall not complain about rain anymore, still in shorts.
You shall get there.

If the fuel screw is in too far. Would that cause the idle to be so high? I can’t turn the idle adjustment bolt any farther down.

Upon further inspection before my fingers froze again. The fuel screw is definetly turned in too far. I turned it half a turn down and the idle went down a little bit. I'll keep turning it down half a turn at a time until I can get it to idle. As for the knock. I cracked each injector one by one, and the clatter is equal in a 4 cylinders, so I'm leaning towards injector clatter. There is no fitting on the back of the pump for a timing tool to be inserted. Kinda annoying but I might be able to swap the one out from my old pump.

When it starts, it takes a few cranks then it'll stumble but if I give it some throttle it'll smooth out. No excessive blue or white smoke out the back, pretty happy about that. I keep having to remind myself it's -5 and it wont fire up like it did last year in the summer.

If the fuel screw is in too far. Would that cause the idle to be so high? I can’t turn the idle adjustment bolt any farther down.
yes.. when I adjusted the fuel screw in my truck the idle went up and I had to adjust the stopper screw and the AC up set point. also mine knocks like a solicitor when its cold.. pump timing might help a little if you try adjusting the static a little more retarded.

Okay good news for once! I did some screwing around with the fuel screw. I first turned it 1 turn out. Tried starting it and it wouldn't run unless I applied throttle. No knocking at all! Turned it a 1/4 in, a little better, hard to get going but will idle with minimal rattle (sounds like timing is still out) and barley revs with throttle. I'm getting somewhere now. I'll keep adjusting it until I find a happy spot. I'll reset the pump to the marks and go from there.

Whoops so one thing led to another and my throttle linkage bar got removed. Seems like it wasn't some preload to it. How the hell do you put that bar back on.

Okay here what do you guys think?

My guess is when this was rebuilt, the throttle bracket went on one tooth off. Me thinking I can’t idle it any lower, must be fuel. Lower fuel, now it doesn’t have enough to rev.

So what I’ll do next weekend is move the bracket one tooth down, then turn the fuel back up again. As for the knocking, retarding the static pump timing quieted it down.

I don’t know I’m at the end of my rope on this one. Really starting to with i spent my money on a 3RZ swap. I need a break from this already.

GUYS IT DROVE HOME!

IMG_0753.JPG

Feels like it wants a bit more fuel or timing. Very sluggish with low throttle inputs, but doesn't feel too off, runs a little quiet so I might bump the timing up a bit.

One thing I've noticed is it won't catch right away when hot. I'll have to either give it a little glow, or half press the throttle to get it to fire within the first two or three turns. Still smokes a bit when starting, hoping I just need to drive it more to seat everything in. No oil or coolant leaks yet, so I'm pretty happy.

GUYS IT DROVE HOME!

View attachment 3283053
Feels like it wants a bit more fuel or timing. Very sluggish with low throttle inputs, but doesn't feel too off, runs a little quiet so I might bump the timing up a bit.

One thing I've noticed is it won't catch right away when hot. I'll have to either give it a little glow, or half press the throttle to get it to fire within the first two or three turns. Still smokes a bit when starting, hoping I just need to drive it more to seat everything in. No oil or coolant leaks yet, so I'm pretty happy.
yayhh!! not snowing either

Is there a difference between the turbo pumps and the N/A pumps? I’m noticing the truck doesn’t really accelerate like it used to unless I push about 3/4 of the way on the throttle pedal. The boost compensator is just left open to atmosphere. I assume it’s fine to run, and boost just pulls more fuel. I’m noticing the EGTs aren’t very high, I maxed it out at about 900°F going up a hill. No smoke out the back.

Regarding the hard hot starting, might need a little more base timing advance on the pump. Or it could be worn out.

Boost comps connected to manifold make a huge difference in power. You'll have to figure that out. You can usually adjust preload on the spring to control how fast it begins adding fuel. Can turn the fuel pin too as it's ecentric with different fueling.

Regarding the hard hot starting, might need a little more base timing advance on the pump. Or it could be worn out.

Boost comps connected to manifold make a huge difference in power. You'll have to figure that out. You can usually adjust preload on the spring to control how fast it begins adding fuel. Can turn the fuel pin too as it's ecentric with different fueling.
I should have clarified. I haven't fitted the turo yet, it's running n/a.

I was fidling around with the timing and fuel a bit more tonight and it's got alittle more power. Though I noticed a bit of haze behind me and every so often I'll get a bit of injector knock. I'm gonna pull all the injectors and take them apart and clean them this week.

Went up a steep hill in 3rd gear. Foot about 3/4 down and barely accelerating past 40km/h. If I give it anymore throttle it just starts blowing black out the tailpipe. EGT maxed out at 900F. I noticed once I got to the top of the hill it took a few seconds for the temp to drop down.

Doesn't want to rev very well so second gear wasn't really an option. I can try and get a video next time.

Although this hill is pretty mean on my 22r truck too, but I can floor it and accelerate much better. Diesel still seems a little slow. IDK I could just be used to driving a gas truck for so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom