2h ticking noise (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like you need to have a conversation with your “reputable rebuilder” about the buildup you just found and see what they have to say about the noise as well. Hopefully they gave you some sort of warranty that they actually stand behind. On the flip side, Your noise could mean absolutely nothing and all is OK....

I tried talking with the builder about the problem with no help. He is on the opposite side of the country. I worried about this when I purchased it but in the moment I felt as good as I could about what I purchased. So this is my baby now. Injection pump or injectors? Anyone?

If it’s either your injection pump or injectors I doubt your gonna hurt it driving around. If it were me, I’d just run it and keep a close eye on the oil level. If it doesn’t use oil, doesn’t smoke excessively and gets good fuel economy, maybe all is ok.

This is after I replaced the rockers etc. should I have more oil coming through the rocker shaft to and out of the rocker arms? Does this look adequate?

3F5EC7B4-F84D-43B9-87D5-56606AC79326.jpeg
0AD4987D-8202-4A19-B29B-95D49F309F46.jpeg
30BEB039-EBDC-4EC2-A4D4-0E7B1272E0BA.jpeg

Metallic Tick tick tick. right after a rebuild, machinist decked the head with pre cups installed when they are supposed to be slightly proud and firmly compressed in place by the head gasket.

Hopefully it’s not your issue. Good luck!

So did your noise follow my description above? Or was the noise constant regardless of temp, rpm etc? What’s you head gasket leaking?

Sorry to hear. Did you have any symptoms of a head gasket leak or you just pulled the head to inspect? I wonder if the precup orientation or a loose fit caused the noise. I am going to replace my injectors in the coming few weeks (for good measure) after that I am out of suggestions. Did your problem cause any problems with the cylinder , piston etc. or were you able to fix the precup and put it back together? Thanks for your info.

I have checked my oil pressure with a hand held guage not depending solely on the one in the cluster. This weekend I installed a permanent OP guage to see if I could catch something. Cold idle 700 rpm I have 95 psi. After warm idle was 40. Warm running through the gears it fluctuates from 40-90 psi. This all seems to agree with the fsm given a fresh rebuild. The search continues @stevebradford u have me wondering about my precups I was told that two were replaced during the build. I have a borescope ordered and I am going to see if I can see anything through the glow plug holes.

Sorry to hear. Did you have any symptoms of a head gasket leak or you just pulled the head to inspect? I wonder if the precup orientation or a loose fit caused the noise. I am going to replace my injectors in the coming few weeks (for good measure) after that I am out of suggestions. Did your problem cause any problems with the cylinder , piston etc. or were you able to fix the precup and put it back together? Thanks for your info.

That was a brad new rebuild there was no compression loss evident yet.

Pre cups are only able to go in the orientation they are supposed to.

They have a sung but not super tight fit and are held in place pinched between the head gasket and head.

The problem is if the pre cup holes aren’t completely cleaned of carbon before new installation they will shake loose. planing a head with a high pre cup sitting on a chunk of carbon will cause the issues seen in the pictures above. the pre cup will shake loose and rattle into the piston top till it mushrooms the edge enough it scores the cylinder wall sleeve top to bottom and you need a second rebuild after less than 10,000k.

Definitely worth checking into, hope that’s not your issue.

Last edited:
@stevebradford thanks again for the info. I will wait on the borescope to come in and see what I can. Really don’t want to pull the head with out knowing for sure but I may not have enough information either way. Pulling the head isn’t a big deal I just hate to break into a newly sealed engine. All that said I am running out of ideas so I might have to. I did notice that after the engine is warm and “ticking” if I stop for a while and leave it running the sound doesn’t return immediately. It takes 1/2 mile or so. Almost like something is cooling down as it idles then heating back up. ???

Ok so I gat the borescope and looked into all cylinders. I can only see into the precup. I had hoped I could look beyond the precup and into the cylinder but I cannot navigate the scope through. Anyway, the only thing I could see was that all the precups are “clocked” the same. Meaning none of the seem to have turned in their bore. I also didn’t see any cracks.

Another update on this issue. I just had my injectors rebuilt and drove it with NO CHANGE. I am running out of ideas. Might be time to pull the head? Any suggestions?

I have finally had time to look into this problem again. Things I have tried, engine has a fresh rebuild maybe 2000 miles

Compression test (Good) (540) on all
Two different (used) sets of injectors
Rockers good but not great (old 2h rockers were a lot worse and didn’t make this noise)
Change oil and cut open oil filter (no metal)
IP Timing is spot on
No exhaust leaks that I can find
Fuel piping hold down rubber is good

I’m sure there are more I’m forgetting. I have posted a video on YouTube but not sure how to link it here. Title is “Toyota 2h ticking noise”
The noise only shows up after engine is warm. Can’t hear it below 1800-2000 rpm, gets louder the higher the rpm. After the engine is warm it will make the noise whether driving or sitting still. The clutch in or out doesn’t effect it. I am leaning toward new injectors, lifters, pushrods, rockers or all the above. I would like to pin point the problem before throwing parts at it. The above parts are the only ones that were not replaced on the rebuild.
I would really appreciate any help or ideas.

Thanks,
Brian
Hi mate
I’ve read your whole thread as I have the exact same noise in my 1989 2H. I have replaced everything except lifters. Just wondering if you replaced lifters and ended up finding the noise?
If you did solve the noise. Could you please tell me what it was?
Any information would be appreciated.
Regards

Unfortunately, I did not ever figure it out. To be honest I feel pretty confident mechanically and I tried and re did lots of things. Not all bad, some things needed replaced or adjusted anyway. I have moved on to other parts of the project that I want to complete and get it back on the road. My next plan was to pull the head and look at the pre cups but with it not effecting anything else I have decided to wait for now. I will post here is anything changes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom