2h ticking noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have finally had time to look into this problem again. Things I have tried, engine has a fresh rebuild maybe 2000 miles

Compression test (Good) (540) on all
Two different (used) sets of injectors
Rockers good but not great (old 2h rockers were a lot worse and didn’t make this noise)
Change oil and cut open oil filter (no metal)
IP Timing is spot on
No exhaust leaks that I can find
Fuel piping hold down rubber is good

I’m sure there are more I’m forgetting. I have posted a video on YouTube but not sure how to link it here. Title is “Toyota 2h ticking noise”
The noise only shows up after engine is warm. Can’t hear it below 1800-2000 rpm, gets louder the higher the rpm. After the engine is warm it will make the noise whether driving or sitting still. The clutch in or out doesn’t effect it. I am leaning toward new injectors, lifters, pushrods, rockers or all the above. I would like to pin point the problem before throwing parts at it. The above parts are the only ones that were not replaced on the rebuild.
I would really appreciate any help or ideas.

Thanks,
Brian

I could barely hear it. It sounded like something the rockers and valves would make. But I would also get the injectors done to eliminate them.
To get a youtube video on here, right click + copy video URL+ paste to page(right click)
video here

Roscofj73, thank you for the response and the info on uploading? YouTube videos. I am not very good with computers. I have another 2h that let go in this rig a few years ago, the extra set of injectors came from that engine that I have installed and didn’t change anything. Would that lean more towards valve train first? Or just bite the bullet and source both injectors and valve train? I’m in the states, I have talked to a few injection repair shops and they do not really want to rebuild mine. Any ideas on sourcing?

My 2H had a similar noise. I discovered that donut gasket between the down pipe and exhaust manifold wasn’t sealing. It created a similar noise.

Bowling4$ Thanks I’ve checked that when I pulled the exhaust manifold off but I will have another look.

I’m in the states, I have talked to a few injection repair shops and they do not really want to rebuild mine

I dont understand that because injectors are all the same, they just need the specs. You could ask them test to the cracking pressure. But as they were working ok on the other engine, it kind of eliminates that.
I would wait for others to chime in on the best place to get injector parts, these are a very common engine and Im sure someone will have them in the US.

Sounds like valve noise to me. Have you checked your valve clearance? You’re supposed to do that after a rebuild anyway.

Same as above, sounds like valve noise. You didn’t mention valve adjustment? Also did you use old lifters? On a new cam? You should never use old on new or mix them up during a rebuild. I would replace your valve train.

Whitey45 yes I’ve run the valves 3 different times on a warm engine. I do have “minimal” rocker wear, my other engine rockers are way worse and didn’t make this noise. I bought the engine rebuilt from a reputable builder, however I know the lifters, pushrods and rocker were just inspected and not replaced. This is the direction I am leaning but prefer to diagnose when possible. There is a lot of knowledge on this site and I am not above advice. The odd part of this that I can’t get over is the engine is quiet until warm and above 2000 rpm.

The odd part of this that I can’t get over is the engine is quiet until warm and above 2000 rpm.

Its heat that causes that. The heat cause expansion and thins the oil out. Which begs another question which oil are you using?

Whitey45 yes I’ve run the valves 3 different times on a warm engine. I do have “minimal” rocker wear, my other engine rockers are way worse and didn’t make this noise. I bought the engine rebuilt from a reputable builder, however I know the lifters, pushrods and rocker were just inspected and not replaced. This is the direction I am leaning but prefer to diagnose when possible. There is a lot of knowledge on this site and I am not above advice. The odd part of this that I can’t get over is the engine is quiet until warm and above 2000 rpm.
This is why the FSM says to check valve clearance on a warm engine

Engine temps are good according to the guage cluster and multiple checks with a infrared thermometer. I have somewhat been down the oil road as well. Started with rotella t4 and half gallon of Lucas, started chasing the problem changed to rotella t6 synthetic with no change in the noise. Now I am back to rotella t4. Both t4 and t6 are 15w40. I read a lot about synthetics not preferred on these engines however I “tried the t6 to see if it would change any of the noise.

. Both t4 and t6 are 15w40.

Tennessee isnt too cold of a place. A 20-50 would be well within spec for most of the year. I have never used anything else

Ok. So I thought I was on to something. I replaced rockers, pushrods and lifters. When doing so I noticed the rocker shaft had a lot of sludge and some had hardened in the lube holes for the rockers. A few of them I had to use a pic with slight force to break loose. Cleaned up the rocker shaft inside and out, re assembled the engine set the valves cold. Cranked and warmed up, re adjusted the valves while warm and THE NOISE IS STILL THERE!! No changes in the sound still doing it as mentioned above. I’m back looking for auggestions again.
Thanks

Might sound stupid, but Marvel Mystery Oil will definitely help clean some of that sludge out of there. If I get a really dirty engine come through here, I always add a quart and run it before I do an oil change, valve adjust, etc. That stuff really cleans it out. Worth a shot maybe

Mudandrock That’s what I used to clean it with. I use it all the time. The sludge in the pipe had to have been overlooked in the rebuild. I haven’t put enough miles on this engine to have any build up like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom