2H fuel supply/bleeding issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

A year or so ago I got my 2h rebuilt. Since putting it back in the car I have had no end of issues trying to get thing damned thing bled properly. I have not even been able to keep it running for longer than 20 minutes.

I've been reading a lot of posts on here about bleeding and read the book and there's no way it should be this hard. I seem to be able to get it bled easy enough, and it starts fine and runs smoothly without even a slight hiccup, then eventually it will just lose power and stop.

When I crack the bleeder nipple it is full of air again.

I have replaced all the flexible hoses up to the tank and all the filters, I can't see any evidence of a fuel leak anywhere up to the tank.

Once I have it started I normally set the hand throttle to about 1000rpm and let it sit. Today I had it at 2000rpm and still only managed 17 minutes before it died again.

I have about 1/2 a tank of fuel at the moment.

Just before it died this time I watched the fuel needle jumping around a bit. I'm beginning to think I'm getting air sucked in around the tank, but I can't see from where.

Has anybody had this many dramas getting their 2h to go? This is seriously killing me......

The last thing I intend to to is run a fuel line directly from a jerry into the first filter in line and if that works, well I'll need to look at the tank further.

If anyone has any ideas please feel free as I'm quite literally tearing my hair out. I've been working at this off and on for over a year!

Cheers,

Craig

Ok your first post should have been about a roof rack, biggest tire size after soa or what removes bugs from the windshield best :flipoff2:

I just answered with all the pictures I have: 87 hj60 fuel line ?

If you can get some fuel in the line near the axle that I point at with a blue pencil it should bypass everything else. Before that piece is the water separator (also a problem if filled with water or rusted away)
And before that is the diesel filter and before that is a small inline filter and then the fuel primer pump.

file.php

Mostly the fuel pump sucks air in, replacement is really easy, good luck :bang: makes a long day but it will be fine :cheers:

BOSCH Hand Primer Pump Diesel Fuel Feed Pump # 2447222126

file.php

file.php

Release the water separator lowest bolt and drain in your sleeve:

file.php

file.php

Last edited:
Hi hj60,

Thank you very much for your reply and with pictures. Haha, yes noted. I guess most people jump straight in with something simple :)

In regards to your reply, the water trap was rusted out and so I replaced it with another inline filter, so my system now has a total of 3 filters in it! I have primed all of these and two of them have glass bowls (including the one I replaced the water trap with)

Prior to yesterday I could only manage about 5 minutes of run time before it would die. I then replaced the flexible line coming directly from the tank (downstream of the filter/moisture trap) and now it seems to go for about 17 minutes. As I said, just prior to the engine stopping, I did notice the fuel level indicator fluctuating (normally rock solid) so I believe there is an issue with air in the tank.

I have a feeling that maybe the vent is blocked and that is forcing air to be sucked in somewhere else (hence air in the fuel lines as opposed to the empty space on top of the tank)

My intent today is to try and run it without the fuel cap on. If that works, then I believe that the vent is blocked. If that's no joy, then I'll run a flexible line into a fuel jerry prior to the water trap and see if that makes a difference.

As I said, I haven't found anyone that's had this many problems bleeding their car! I do seem to always get the good challenges.....

Anyway, thanks again for your help and response. If you can think of anything else in the mean time, please feel free to let me know!

Cheers,

Craig

I actually ran into this issue myself and I had a crack in the metal fuel tube that comes off the tank to the main fuel line. (It's the line he is pointing to with the blue pencil, it connects on top of the tank). I dropped my tank to find it and fixed with a small amount of jbweld around the base of the tube

Hi dieselmahnic, I just ran it again with the cap off and same thing. It certainly seems like I've got a cracked line somewhere.... Was really hoping to avoid dropping the tank but it looks like that might be the case, as I can't find any evidence of a leak. Thanks mate, at least that more or less confirms my theory.

Cheers,

Craig

I don't have a 2H, but your symptoms are a classic fuel line leak. I don't think it would make any difference in running with the fuel cap off. The pump itself is some how getting air into it after the fuel pump pick up. After about 17 min or whatever it is. It's enough air to cause it to loose the prime. You could do a pressure leak down test per the FSM to verify you have a fuel line leak before you drop the tank. It's a fairly simple test. Good luck.

Dropping tank isn't to bad I did it myself in about 6 hours in and out . Just have a pair of tall jack stands to use to support on the way down and up. I would also recommend since your dropping it....buy new hoses for all of the rear tank Assy it's one huge 1 ft hose to the fill line and a bunch of various size little ones. I did it last weekend it was under 40$ for new hose clamps and hoses for all of my soft lines I just went to a local Napa and they cut them to length for me. Just be careful taking them off mine were frail and rusted:mad:

Quick n cheap and saves u later ;)

Did you were able to keep it running with close feed .. like directly to the IP using a clear hose .. ?

It is possible that due to amount of filters you have in line, your transfer pump just can keep up with the suction and then air ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom