2H breathing hard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1988 HJ75 (2H with 175k miles) - I rarely drive it anymore since I need to fix a leaky power steering box. The last time it’s had significant road-time was in late September. I have always made it a point to start it every two week and let it idle a good while. So, now that I took it out to run errands today, it’s been blowing white/blue smoke for the first 10 mins under load. Puffs upon startup every time I have started it running errands. Runs great and starts fine. Oil level is good and I’ve always used fuel additives at fill up. This has never been a thing until recently.

is this due to infrequent use? I’m scratching my head.

thanks in advance.

Running and letting them idle is not a good plan. Long periods of idling is not good for the bores. Diesels should be started up and used under load, or battery disconnected and left to sit if its not needed.
The engine needs to be fully expanded to operate efficiently

White smoke is combustion that is too cool and blue smoke is oil burn.
I would be compression testing it. A nice long drive might help it.

Thanks Rosco. In all my years of working with truckers letting their Detroit’s and Caterpillars fast-idle for long periods, I never knew that idling would be an issue for the 2H.

I’ll just run it good and see if it’s clears up.

In all my years of working with truckers letting their Detroit’s and Caterpillars fast-idle for long periods

They may idle them but they do it after they have warmed up and they do it at a fast idle.

Right you are. Thanks again for the advice. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom