2F Warm up time?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I was wondering how long it takes your 2F's to reach operating temperature. I think that my thermostat may be stuck open. After I start the truck and turn the choke off after a minute or so and start driving, it takes a long time for temp guage to start to register. After 2 or 3 miles the guage will barely start to move. After a couple of errands the temp guage is right in the middle and all is ok.
Also....
Sometimes after the truck sits for a couple minutes during an errand I start it back up and the temp guage read a little on the high side. After I run down the road for a couple blocks it comes right down to the middle. Is this what people describe as heat soak?
Any ideas of the warm up time? And the heat soak issue?
Thanks guys I hope that you can shed some light on this stuff.
Chris

I run my truck a min or two after I start it up. The temp gauge does not start to read for a few miles, and when it is warm it read about 1/4. As for start up when warm, its normal to read a lil higher. I know my rig reads high after a warm start up on highway driving. IIRC the manual says its normal.

p.s. I dont have a fan clutch.

lowtide,

Thanks for the response. I just purchased this truck a few weeks ago, so I am still learning its quirks. So by the way you make it sound the few miles before it gets warmed up is normal. Its just a lot longer time than my 4runner takes.
- I see you got that quote from Surfline.com
Not to hijack my own thread, but what board/s do you ride. Wish that I was closer we could paddle out sometime together.

Thanks,
Chris

Mine takes forever to warm up - especially since I've gotten the new radiator put in it. Works miracles. Just take it slow and easy (as if there's a choice...) and let it warm up nice and easy and you'll be fine. (that said, it takes just as long in summer as it does during the winter)

As far as the "heat soak" that's normal too - so long as it goes away when you start the truck and run it for a minute or two (mine pretty much drops right away) - I think it's just because hot coolant sits and raises the temp of the sensor, coupled with a hot iron block sitting there without any air running around it (or, at least very little)

Make sure your carb fan is running when you shut it down, too. If it's not, that heat build up with boil out your carb and ruin your accel pump - and can lead to other long term carb problems as well as possibly cracking the aluminum intake manifold.

Who hoooo.HIJACK..I got 2 6'2", One is Al Merrick M2 flyer the other is a GAK (loacl shaper) another 6'3" Al Merrick and a busted ass longboard for the days it sucks. What about you brotha? Where are you at? (east coat)?

Ride On...
-Al

Swank,
Thanks for the tips. Yea mine goes down as soon as I idle for a couple of seconds or start driving. On the warm up thing I guess it takes 8 qts of oil a long time to warm up. Also my carb cooling fan works like a champ. Everytime I turn the truck off the fan comes on. Be it a 2 mile drive or a 100 mile drive.

Lowtide,
I've got a couple boards. However I am partial to my longboards. My favorites are a 9.0' by WRV (east coast) shaped by Jesse Fernandez, and a Rusty 7'8 or 7'6 or something like that. Yea I'm in VA now(unfortuantly). I used to live on the Outer Banks of NC, in Kill Devil Hills. It sucks being away from the coast.

Your o.k.

I usually start mine on full choke until it idles steadily (~20-30sec). I then put the choke in as far as possible for a lower steady idle. After that I either let it run a min. or drive off with the choke out, depending on if I'm in a hurry. It takes about 2-3 miles for it to show correct temperature. I have not had a problem with the heat soak issue, but it seems to be normal.

In cold weather, it takes a little more time to get a steady idle, but not much.

Cheers

Hey, Richmond! My old home town. I've got family there now (in Walkerton, a bit north and east of the big R) and have family burried out in King William County dating back to the 1750s.

If he's doing any surfing, he's on the James near the rocks out past Brown (or is it Belle?) Island. (har har har)

Don't worry about your warm up time - you need to worry about your rust. Where are you exactly?

No way brotha...those were my stopping grounds when I was growing up in the north. Kitty Hawk anyways. We took day trips in to Cape H for surfing. Oh man Kill Devil Hills has one of my fav. resturants ( chilly peppers)...Well if ya ever need a place to crash on a sruf trip drop me a line. mi casa su casa or somthing like that.

hasta brotha,
-Al

It also takes me a while to warm up. I usually drive with the choke out until I see the needle start to move and then push it in. Is that bad? I also experience the heat soak, but like the others said it goes away after some driving.

Lowtide, CMD82,

If you guys ever come out to San Diego, let me know. I'll take you around... I'm partial to the long board too(see my quote from Dewey Weber). I have a 9'8", but I get out on a 7'8", and a 6'5" I bought when I was in AUS. Don't even get me started on the cruisers I saw when I was there. Its been really small here lately, but its starting to pick up now. I love the winter!!!!

Take it easy

Chuck

I remember San Onofre used to have some long waves. Not big but nice.

Couple of things that help with warmups is a working heat riser and hot air intake (HAI).

Hate to hijack the surf talk, but...

My 60 takes a few miles to get warmed up, too. I only have a 4 mile drive to work and it barely gets 1/4 of the way up the temp gauge, if that. I usually start it with the choke out full, rev up to 2000 RPMs, hold it there for about 30 seconds, then go (I leave the choke out full for about a minute of drive time, then disengage).

This seems to be the way my Delilah wants to be started... works 95% of the time.

jhstatts said:
Hate to hijack the surf talk, but...

My 60 takes a few miles to get warmed up, too. I only have a 4 mile drive to work and it barely gets 1/4 of the way up the temp gauge, if that. I usually start it with the choke out full, rev up to 2000 RPMs, hold it there for about 30 seconds, then go (I leave the choke out full for about a minute of drive time, then disengage).

This seems to be the way my Delilah wants to be started... works 95% of the time.

That is basically what I do. Sounds good.

Yulp ditto that. On the short trips.

Now back to surf talk...I use whatever board is good for the surf. I was eyeing up an 9'0" at the shop but it was mucho money......it was one of those balsa wood boards that looks like you should not even surf....man they are hot sex

***HI-JACKING IN PROGRESS***

I use whatever board is good for the condition too, there's definitely been sometimes when I was glad I wasn't on my longboard. There's been some other times where I was barely making the drop in and catching waves that were overhead. It was defintely a rush!!
I want to get one of those epoxy boards that "looks" like its balsa but is lighter and stronger in the 9'0" range. I also want to get a fish around 5'11 or 6'0.
Those real balsa boards should be a in museum, I wouldn't feel right surfing on one of those. I would cry if I put a ding in it!!!

ChuckB said:
***HI-JACKING IN PROGRESS***

Those real balsa boards should be a in museum, I wouldn't feel right surfing on one of those. I would cry if I put a ding in it!!!

I know, It would be sweet to get a good session on one of those boards and take a few rolls of black and white film. :beer:

hasta brotha,
-Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom