2F Rebuild recommedations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to do a ring/valve job on my 81 2f. I might have to remove and do a full rebuild. I need as much info as possible on both the "freshen-up" ring/valve rebuild vs. the whole enchalada... Where are you guys sourcing oem or high quality rebuild parts??
I want to do a quality job....

thanks

81 fj40
ps no factoryair

OME 2.5 lift
major wrenching to be done:wrench:

Whether you're looking for parts for just a valve job or the whole enchilada, my advice on obtaining engine parts is always the same...Have your machinist order the parts. He will order the right parts and he'll get the best price. If you want the high-end parts, just tell him. Easy.

OE parts from Toyota:
head gasket
lifters

Better than OE parts:
Graphite manifold gasket, Fel-Pro
billet steel cam, Melling
Steel camshaft gear, sealed power
Moly piston rings, Hastings
Stainless SBC valves
positive valve seals in silicone

Search for threads on "best 2F" or "best 2F build" for ideas

If you have a full rebuild have it balanced.

Oh and don't forget to drill and tap the oil gallery plug in the head A MUST.

I would rebuild it by pulling it out and dropping in a 383 SBC.

Thanks for the rebuild advise

The reason for the rebuild is low power. I have done a compression test with the following results

Also, the tailpipe has the sputter of a non-seating valve or two. This after a hot valve adjustment.

Other work done so far... carb rebuild, fuel pump, dizzy refurb. (out of a fj60), the original was rusted...no vacuum advance. Plugs,rotor, cap. Battery, starter, brake master, new brakes, new clutch and flywheel resurface, Rebuilt front axles, balanced the driveline...sandblasted and painted all engine parts, and frame.
Installed OME 2.5 deluxe kit from Kurt at Cuiser outfitters:cool::cool:

I put it back together thinking the engine would come back to life with good power....wishing I had rebuilt it first:bang: The po had a holley/header setup and all it did was blow carbon....

QUESTION... what is involved in drilling and tapping the oil gallery plug in the head? Why is this not done factory??

Anyway, thanks for the advise...here are some pics.

Me think me re-ring and valve at this point....not motivated to pull the whole enchalida at this point.:wrench:

More advise welcome....

81 Fj40
owns too much of my savings account...
Landcruiser 014.JPG
IMG_7158.jpg
Landcruiser 020.JPG

I think the '81 2f already has this as a threaded plug, not a press in.

Mark...

Drain holes plugged??

Need to address those door bottoms before that issue gets out of hand......:hmm:

If you want to rebuild something I suggest pulling the head and having it rebuilt. While the head is off take a look at the cylinder walls. Pulling the whole enchilada would be much more a PITA than just the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom