2F Oil Pressure range & where to measure it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ntsqd

technerd
Threads
I have yet to find, after about 30 minutes of searching, what the FSM recommends for oil pressure. I've found no schematic of the oiling system. The only FSM portion that I haven't looked in is the Emissions manual.
I put a direct mechanical gauge in the port where the sender was and I get 4 psi. Doesn't matter that the engine is doing (hot idle, choke high speed idle, free rev'd) it reads 4 psi. The gauge goes to zero when the engine is shut off. It did spend some time on a small diesel engine so it could be screwed up, but when on that little engine it did read more than 4 psi. I have not yet found another gauge that I can put in it's place.

Any thoughts or ideas?

sound like a faulty guage.
I have an "auto gage" meter.
I run at 40# on idle and 60 -70# working.
HTH?

Here is the 2f oiling diagram
oil-1.jpg

Four PSI? If that is right, you're moments away from a seizure. For a minimum, you would want to see at least ten PSI per 1000 RPM, and I repeat, MINIMUM. There will be a point to which the PSI will climb then go flat as the blow-off valve on the pump will bleed off the extra pressure. Somebody should chime in with the exact specs from the FSM, but you should be checking that gauge if not your engine.

I'm quite sure that the engine has much more oil pressure than that or it would not have survived the recent trip towing the tent trailer. It was just odd that a gauge that was reading reasonable numbers not long ago (on that little diesel) now was not. It made me wonder two things A) if the gauge was still good; B) where exactly was the pressure sender located in the oil system. I'll have a deeper look for a different gauge though it may be impossible to test it again as I'm in the middle of pulling that engine out in prep for a vee-ate swap. I care what the oil pressure is because the guy taking the engine wants to know what he's getting.

Frankly I'm not all that impressed with the FSM's that I have for the 60. Those that I have for my Mini's (Older, orange covers) are far better references.

I think the oil filter area is definitely the highest pressure point in the system, it comes right after the oil pump and before the main bearings..

I've located a different gauge and I'll be re-connecting fuel and ign long enough to re-test it tonight.

WHEW!!!

New gauge is a Wika glycerin filled 120 psi unit. Old gauge goes into the trash!!

60 psi cranking! No coolant system, so no running for hot idle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom