2f motor questions (1 Viewer)

I am a new cruiser owner and have a few questions about the 72 that I purchased

1) it has a 2f motor and a four speed trans. I know that these are not stock. There is no room for a motor fan nor is there room for the powersteering pump since the radiator is so close. curently the power steering pump is bunged to the inner fender. Is this tight clearence normal or did the previous owner install the engine incorrectly?

2) the wiring and vaccum lines are such a mess is there a site where I can download diagrams to start getting things back to there proper place?

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
Take a pic of the engine compartment. There easily shoudl be room for a fan. I cannot imagine how the PO would screw up a 2F engine transplant enough for a fan not to fit.

Website
www.facebook.com
The diminsions of the 2F are the same as the F. SOunds like something is FUBAR.

Mark...

Hey Oregoncruiser, we have a Land Cruiser club located in Portland, OR. We are called Cascade Cruisers, we can help you out with your problems. I don't know where you are located. There is also W at Over The Hill 4x4 that is a Land Cruiser only shop and knows the stock cruiser motors very well.

I would be a bit leary about taking a basket case like this to 'W' at his shop called 'Over the Hill". His specialty is experimental at best. He also is known for upselling Cruiser owners parts and services they don't need. Hey may be ok for gearbox rebuilds and the like buy you have a situation that requires comparison to other rigs and someone who knows how to put them back to stock.

If you are in Portland, I have 4 stock FJ's you are welcome to inspect. A '78 with a 2f, a '65 with a F and 2 '67's with the F engine. All are stock except the '78 which is slightly modified with bolt on performance upgrades. If you bring your rig over, we can probably compare your setup to mine and get you on the right path.

This kind of mess is pretty typical with these rigs that have been through the hands of many owners and some shady mechanics but not too difficult to set up for optimal performance/efficiency and looking stock.

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
lcpdx said:
I would be a bit leary about taking a basket case like this to 'W' at his shop called 'Over the Hill". His specialty is experimental at best. He also is known for upselling Cruiser owners parts and services they don't need. Hey may be ok for gearbox rebuilds and the like buy you have a situation that requires comparison to other rigs and someone who knows how to put them back to stock.

If you are in Portland, I have 4 stock FJ's you are welcome to inspect. A '78 with a 2f, a '65 with a F and 2 '67's with the F engine. All are stock except the '78 which is slightly modified with bolt on performance upgrades. If you bring your rig over, we can probably compare your setup to mine and get you on the right path.

This kind of mess is pretty typical with these rigs that have been through the hands of many owners and some shady mechanics but not too difficult to set up for optimal performance/efficiency and looking stock.
That was not a very nice thing to say..

It is not typical for a lc six to be in the wrong place. Get a couple of pics to show us what is actuially going on.

lcpdx said:

Nice libel :frown: from someone with six posts on the board. Reminds me of the old advice to read for a couple of months before posting. Keeps you from looking like a total prat when you break the unspoken rules of behavior.

Anyway, I just had some work done at OTH (installation of Alcan springs on my '82 FJ40), and, not only was the work well done, and quickly, which I expected, but they went the extra mile, and fixed a few minor problems that they noticed, that had nothing to do with the springs. Total tab was $275, well under what I had anticipated, including some different shackles in the rear.

My impression was, they mostly do work on serious offroad rigs, not cherry restorations like mine, but they were easy to work with, did exactly what I asked, and clarified with me before going outside the bounds of the work requested.

Nice folks, I'd use them again.

Kirk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom