285/65 KO2 regrets? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went with the 285/65/18 KO2s and my experience has been that the mudflaps in from needed to be heat gunned and molded back a bit as to not rub (Stock Suspension)and I had quite bad wheel shake at freeway speeds that were fixed by a re-balance and lowering tire pressure to 40 psi. Now it rides like it did with stock wheels and tires and looks a hell of a lot better imo. Definitely noticed the ride height difference when hopping in the driver seat for the first time after installation. I’d say go for it.
IMG_2293.jpeg

Its a toyota buy 3 get 1 free deal on all tires, nothing to do with ko2's. They dont even show them at the dealer, I specified them.

Oh, is that a recurring thing?

I ran a quick price check and that’s almost the same 5 tire out the door price at either Discount Tire or if you ordered them from the Tire Rack and had them installed at Discount Tire. So nothing special about the dealer sale.
I'm not seeing that math. Tire rack to discount tire without install is almost the same cost as out the door at toyota. Discount tire without using tire rack out the door is about $200+ more than toyota. Im at (5) 285/65R18 with four wheel alignment out the door for $1945 at toyota.

I just installed 285/70/17 load range C from Costco. I had to drop the rims off for mounting and tipped the installer $50 if they came back scratch free. .wich they did. I wanted C as this is not a daily driver but I want a very smooth ride. My off road usually has to do with mud and snow so KO2 is what works for me. Costco price was the lowest around including install.

20230415_140245.jpg

I just installed 285/70/17 load range C from Costco. I had to drop the rims off for mounting and tipped the installer $50 if they came back scratch free. .wich they did. I wanted C as this is not a daily driver but I want a very smooth ride. My off road usually has to do with mud and snow so KO2 is what works for me. Costco price was the lowest around including install.

View attachment 3302063
Did they ask about what truck they were going on? I know they’re a pain in the ass about installing sizes other than stock. They have no problem slinging Chinese made rims with insane offsets to the public, though.

I'm not seeing that math. Tire rack to discount tire without install is almost the same cost as out the door at toyota. Discount tire without using tire rack out the door is about $200+ more than toyota. Im at (5) 285/65R18 with four wheel alignment out the door for $1945 at toyota.
Very interesting. I wonder if there are regional differences in pricing? My local Discount Tire will install 5 of the 285/65-18 out the door for $2023 and they will price match Toyota. If I order 5 from the Tire Rack and have them installed by Discount Tire, it’s only $1900 out the door. There is nothing to align in the rear, so the dealer will just check the front and unless you ask for specific settings the tech will simply make sure all the lights are green and send you on your way.

Very interesting. I wonder if there are regional differences in pricing? My local Discount Tire will install 5 of the 285/65-18 out the door for $2023 and they will price match Toyota. If I order 5 from the Tire Rack and have them installed by Discount Tire, it’s only $1900 out the door. There is nothing to align in the rear, so the dealer will just check the front and unless you ask for specific settings the tech will simply make sure all the lights are green and send you on your way.
There may be differences in regions, don't know. So I just booked it for tomorrow and its 1923 out the door with alignment. I'm glad you mentioned alignment. Should I request specific alignment settings and if so what are they? Is the machine correct? Sorry don't know a lot but have read the LC alignment specs are a little different. Is that true? Thanks!

There may be differences in regions, don't know. So I just booked it for tomorrow and its 1923 out the door with alignment. I'm glad you mentioned alignment. Should I request specific alignment settings and if so what are they? Is the machine correct? Sorry don't know a lot but have read the LC alignment specs are a little different. Is that true? Thanks!
There are others on here who know good alignment specs you may be able to find with a search. I know I had to have 3 alignments at dealers before one of them got it right. If you have stock suspension and aren’t having issues with tire wear or driving dynamics, the chances are alignment won’t be changed.

There are others on here who know good alignment specs you may be able to find with a search. I know I had to have 3 alignments at dealers before one of them got it right. If you have stock suspension and aren’t having issues with tire wear or driving dynamics, the chances are alignment won’t be changed.
Thanks, I do get some outside wear on the fronts. I'll bring that up with the service guy. I always ask for the before and after printout but don't really know enough to argue whether its right or not. I'll search alignment on here.

Did they ask about what truck they were going on? I know they’re a pain in the ass about installing sizes other than stock. They have no problem slinging Chinese made rims with insane offsets to the public, though.
You hit the nail on the head. I saw the rim options on the wall as it took me 20 min to help them figure out a way to cheet their system. Poor young man was almost in tears. I finally had to tell him they were going on a 2012 tundra rock warrior before the system let him book the install. Those rims on the wall would make good trail gnomes!

You hit the nail on the head. I saw the rim options on the wall as it took me 20 min to help them figure out a way to cheet their system. Poor young man was almost in tears. I finally had to tell him they were going on a 2012 tundra rock warrior before the system let him book the install. Those rims on the wall would make good trail gnomes!
The Rock Warrior fitment guide for the 200 lists a PN for a door jamb tire pressure label, which would show that 285/70/17 is a Toyota-approved fitment with the Rock Warriors. Not sure if that's even an orderable label any longer, but others trying to buy at Costco could try printing out the sheet and see if they can override what their computer tells them.

I just go to Discount Tire, they've never blinked -- even putting 255/85 pizza-cutter 16s on my 100. Plus I've definitely taken advantage of several "road hazard" claims, they have pull through pressure checks, and appointments for rotations etc. are easier to get.

The Rock Warrior fitment guide for the 200 lists a PN for a door jamb tire pressure label, which would show that 285/70/17 is a Toyota-approved fitment with the Rock Warriors. Not sure if that's even an orderable label any longer, but others trying to buy at Costco could try printing out the sheet and see if they can override what their computer tells them.

I just go to Discount Tire, they've never blinked -- even putting 255/85 pizza-cutter 16s on my 100. Plus I've definitely taken advantage of several "road hazard" claims, they have pull through pressure checks, and appointments for rotations etc. are easier to get.
I agree discount tire is really easy to work with. Costco is near my house and discount is 20 min away. So lazy!

Fellow LC owners, keep me in your thoughts and prayers. As of 0645 my truck is at the dealer. Made notes not to touch anything but the tires and alignment and an expectation that all alignment adjustments be made to get to spec and torqued back properly. Added an extra note to stay out of the glove box. Hopefully by 10 or 11 I'll be a member of the 285/65 KO2 club without issues.

@jivewalker

Let us know how you like them.

Everyone has a different definition of what smooth ride quality, etc.feels like.

As you can see, we are all quite subjective in our objectivity.

Last edited:
Hows the steering wheel feel with the baseline caster being on the low end of the range?

Numbers look good btw.
Hard to say, feels taller maybe or the same. Always thought ot felt a little squirely, is that what you mean? It tracks straight over bumps at speed. Also, tire pressures are all over the place from 38 in one to 43 on anothet, so need to eait till cool and adjust them all equal. Not sure why couldnt get that right. Overall happy so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom