24v starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1hdt 80 series. I might have fried my starter yesterday morning, I definitely cranked it for too long. Suddenly it was not turning over the engine. It would give a half hearted try, then stop again.
I haven’t gotten the chance to actually diagnose and won’t until tomorrow night.
My guess is a fried starter. Maybe the solenoid.
Has anyone used an OBB starter in the states? It says direct replacement for the 24v starter.
Anything else I should look for when I finally get under the hood?

Why wouldnt it start in the first place?
OBB? Is this a term for aftermarket? Amazon had starters for most diesel landcruisers, not sure about 24v
I would be looking at how many volts are reaching the starter when its cranking

Pretty sure a bit of air and diesel gumming up kept it from starting.
This is the starter I found.
Appears to be the right everything, just much cheaper than oem shipped to the states.
I’ll take a look when I get back to the truck tomorrow. Thanks.

This will be a chinese made starter. Australian Ebay is flooded with them, there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with them. Some even have an admirable 5 yr warranty.

Keep your old one, it may be rebuildable.

Find your stater relay, looking at the engine from the front, it's on the right side behind the primer.
There a two plugs attached to the relay. One is black and one is white. Lift their tabs up to separate. Now the Lower end of white plug has two wires...find the wire with a red stripe.
Grab a 30amp fused lead and attach one end to the positive side of your main battery and probe the other end into white plug/red striped wire.
With the key on this should start your unit.
I have just added a momentary switch to this circuit. If the solenoid sticks of course tap it, don't tap the starter motor as this can loosen the magnets. The solenoid is just in towards the engine by 2 inches.
Any good starter/alternator shop can rebuild these things.

Check out my build thread, I was able to frankestien a 12v starter with the front of my 24v starter and the back of a 5.9 cummins starter.

So funny story, I killed the battery cranking too long. Got that charged up, now it’s a no start condition, but cranking fine.
Got rid of a few air leaks.
Cut off solenoid clicks properly.
Disconnected the no 1 union for injector and will get some fuel out.
Cranks fantastic, it just won’t start.

It's either not getting fuel, or compression. Did it run fine the last time you drove it?

Wasnt running great, definitely had some fueling issues. It ran much better after it warmed up, then I let it die pulling into the parking lot. I haven’t gotten it to start since.

It's very likely that you have air in the lines. Have you deleted the ACSD?

edit: Make sure your fuel filter is on tight.

Honestly not sure about the acsd. Really hoping it’s been done though.
Just checked, no block off plate. So acsd still there

Last edited:
The acsd will make a knocking noise when its worn, so if you can't hear it ,its not dangerous. I would leave it till you get the air sorted out.

They only let air in either around the filter head or at the fuel line jounts. I would guess you probably have more than one leaking joint.
Usually they are in the engine bay.
I had hard starting problems. I kept adding new bits of hose and new clamps each day, and on the 3rd or 4th day, it was fixed. It was the return hose on the fuel injection pump joint.

Thanks for the advice. That’s the plan for tomorrow when I finally get back to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom