24V JDM - what batteries are you using? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mulebarn

GOLD Star
Threads
After 10 months of solid service fresh off the boat from Japan, one of my 12Vbatteries has stopped holding a charge very well. Not knowing the age of the JDM batteries that came in it, I’m going to go ahead and replace both batteries. What are you running?

8CFCD975-2FB1-4E93-BACF-950227DADD30.jpeg

AFDD0F60-E041-421F-A924-8AA64470C6F3.jpeg

5F01BB59-067F-4618-ACF3-7A4FA8EA953D.jpeg

And just some more info, here are the readings from the individual batteries. The lower one sounds like it’s boiling when I put it on a Noco charger.

B5CE9F4B-1B94-4247-90EE-07E230E58E73.jpeg

A92C3900-792B-43CC-8E54-4BFF60243BDB.jpeg

Last edited:
Ive been using the costco interstate batteries, and get them replaced for free every 4 years right before the warranty runs out just in case. Correct on the group 27.

Be sure to put rubber covers on the terminals, my rear battery mount broke, battery shifted while offroading, wedged the positive terminal under some metal, nearly burned my cruiser to the ground.

Search is your friend. Series/group 27 batteries.

Interesting, as the ones in mine look to be group 31 (at least on the label in the photo I posted.) So yeah, search is my friend, but search yields differing opinions. Hence, my asking. :)

Group 27 should be correct. (Euro 24V trucks use 1x group 27 and 1x group 27F, since they have one battery on each side of the engine bay).

I have Toyota True-Start batteries in my Troopy, and NAPA batteries in my 80. No problem with either.

Definitely buy both. You want them to match.

5F01BB59-067F-4618-ACF3-7A4FA8EA953D.jpeg

Is that 12v power tapped off one battery? If so, that is not recommended for the long term.

(2) Group 27F's are over 100lbs. I didn't need that much reserve and went with two smaller batteries at 60 lbs total.

Last edited:
Currently RV/Marine starting/deep cycles from Costco.
In Canada they're branded Kirkland, in the US they sell Interstate. I don't know if they're the same battery.
Usually get 6 or 7 years out of a set.

Group 27 should be correct. (Euro 24V trucks use 1x group 27 and 1x group 27F, since they have one battery on each side of the engine bay).

I have Toyota True-Start batteries in my Troopy, and NAPA batteries in my 80. No problem with either.

Definitely buy both. You want them to match.
Does it matter what side for the 27 or 27f? Is it a no-no to run two 27s?

Thanks for any info!

I have two 27’s in my JDM BJ74.

I think JDM (RHD) 24V cars will have two of the same batteries, which are both on the same side of the engine bay. Pretty sure they'll be group 27.

Euro (LHD) 24V will have one 27 and one 27F, with one battery on each side of the engine bay.

In both cases, the terminal side of the batteries should face towards the motor. Which battery goes on which side will be obvious based on the wires that connect to them.

BTW, the only difference between a 27 and a 27F is that the terminals are mirrored (i.e. + and - are swapped left to right).

Hope this helps.

I think JDM (RHD) 24V cars will have two of the same batteries, which are both on the same side of the engine bay. Pretty sure they'll be group 27.

Euro (LHD) 24V will have one 27 and one 27F, with one battery on each side of the engine bay.

In both cases, the terminal side of the batteries should face towards the motor. Which battery goes on which side will be obvious based on the wires that connect to them.

BTW, the only difference between a 27 and a 27F is that the terminals are mirrored (i.e. + and - are swapped left to right).

Hope this helps.
Thank you!!! This makes perfect sense. Picked up the batteries and worked great.

The only other difference I've noticed was on Interstate batteries at Costco the 27 is an 875CCA and the 27F is only 800CCA. Not sure why that would be the case, and I don't think that holds true with other brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom