24V hzj73 and a 12v warn winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i dont know much about electrical at all.
but can you put a 12 volt warn in a 24v system without changing winch solenoids?

if you can how would you do it?

only if you have another battery and alternator designated only for a auxiliary 12V system. Thats what I run.
Maybe a converter, but the winch would probably pull to may amps for any affordable converter.

I have been using a 12v winch in my 24v HJ60 for over a year with no problems. I connected the winch to the negative post on the second battery, where the voltage potential is 12v.

The only precaution I use to avoid a discharge imbalance between the batteries is to have the motor running while winching.

Rick

depending on the warn winch i have been running a 12V 8274 on 24V for 3 years now with no ill side effects EXCEPT extremely fast, extremely strong.
i have done this with other 8274s on buddies trucks.

or

you can go buy a 24V winch.

DO NOT TRY THIS WITH THE NEWER 8274-50 or ANY low profile winches.

USER ACCEPTS ALL RESPONSIBLITY

i am just saying this is what i do...

I ran a 12V 8274 on my 24v truck...as crushers mentioned, it will work, it was fast as hell and no problems pulling...

You have to keep your boot on the cable if winding it up freely, the motor will overspeed if you are just winding cable with no load...

I learned the hard way, and threw the brushes...

I found a 24V motor online, and now run 24 V, but still use the 12 volt contacts, with no issues...I do have a solid state titan contacter that i plan on installing,

did you guys wire it up the same as expected or did you change the wiring of the solenoids at all. I just got my 8274 12V and am going to set it up on my 24V BJ70. I've seen that you can change the wiring from parallel to series fairly easily.

Just one note...

DO NOT run a 12V winch on only one of the batteries of a 24V system. This is the surest way of destroying your batteries (yes, Martha, they really can explode) and ruining your alternator.

24V motor is best.

if you have a 12V 8274 and can run fast enough to keep up with it on 24V then try that - at your own risk -.

~John

if a person can not realize to use the trigger intermittently when free wheeling while running a 12V 8274 on a 24V system then they REALLY should not attempt this action at all. they will be a threat to themselves and everyone around them.

Oh yes, no worries on the "using my head" part of things. I will certainly be aware of all you have mentioned in your posts, and the voltage issue is well understood as I've had the truck for quite a few years now and had to initially chase down a few "modifications" to the first battery being tapped. I've got the textbooks on my desk to back up the math, so hopefully all goes well.

PS, Wayne, its Max from Winnipeg in the BJ70. I'll let you know how things go.

~Max

i will be passing through that way in a couple 3 weeks...
shoot me your contact info to wayne@crushersrule.com and i will add it to my list of Mud buddies to visit.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom