24 volt removal, no brake+tail lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Somewhat successfully followed the 24 volt removal thread.

1; removed the 12/24 relay, deleting the whole second battery altogether for now (running a wire from LHD drivers main + to fusible links on other side; RHD battery not connected at all for now, planning to change that later)
2; added a new wire to starter, new wires to starting relay. Then I had to get a new wire from pin #2 (below) to starter switch as there apparently was something wrong earlier and the PO installed a starter button and a different relay (got rid of both). So pin #2 is disconnected (I reckon it ran to the 12/24 timing relay) and a fresh wire directly to starter relay is installed. But I don't think this should be a problem, because #2 & #10 wires are both off until put to start position...
1684152688611.png

3; Starting now works. The only thing that's left deliberately in non-working state is the heating system. I'm planning to add a button for that later. The truck runs normal, most of the dash lights work, only cabin fan is dead and the engine temperature doesn't read anything.

But now, sometime during this time I've managed to disable my both red lights (brake + tail). They don't work at all -- no power to the RL/RR/STOP lights fuses in the panel. My mechanic is 100% sure this was working before I started butchering the starting circuits, so heck, my fault.

- there is no power in either fuses -- rear left, rear right, stop
- the tail light relay works (took it out, measured, checked continuity when powered up) -- but it doesn't ,click' when the lights are on
- front lights, high beam, reverse lights, indicator in front/rear all work no problem.

Any help greatly appreciated!

is your fuseable link good?

I've gone through your thread as well, don't worry, my electrician skills are maybe even negative, so I've read all I could:))

I've had to replace the LHD fusible link with a new wire, because it broke when was unscrewing it. The RHD links (green and blue IIRC) are all connected directly to LHD battery positive now, through the former RHD battery positive cable that used to go to the 12/24 relay.

Now this is the situation around former 12/24 relay. I've tried to follow the other threads; connect everything to either positive or negative, bridge the remaining connector (two wires) with the single O-ring connector (single wire) together. I'm pretty sure those three are in fact ground, but heck.

1684221912351.png

Now this is ,mess' :( I've taken all the cables from under the fuse box so there's room. One of the cables is the ,connect the three wires together' 12/24 leftover, the others I've no idea about. The outlined part is crap from PO; several free wires, some clamped extensions, no clue. I'm pretty sure this was all because of the starting switch though. They probably tried to find the problem and just ended up going all around it with a different starter relay and a button on the dash. Also the car is made out of three different vehicles now so there's probably the reason, although the harnesses should be 1993 HZJ, so even less things should be there.

1684222230572.png
FWIW, I've tried to check continuity between tail light fuse and all empty wires I could've found and no good. Also on the other side.

This is the other side of the moon. Save from a single small connector and disconnected glow plugs it's all connected to LHD positive.

1684224449764.png

I'm thinking I must have disconnected some pretty important cable somewhere. The tail lights should work with no key in the switch, right?
Oh and when I was messing around under the dash, I might forgot to connect something too, but they were all buttons.. IDK. I remember having two outstanding connectors with no buttons to connect them to. No clue :(

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
Tail lights will not work with out a switch and also signal lights will not work with out cluster and or hazard button or turn signal switch.

If you have a EU spec wire harness with rear fog lights and that switch is not there you will have to bypass it to complete the circuit this could also be why the rear lights don’t work at all

I had a similar issue with a 1HD-FTE also made from 3 different harnesses.

There is also a main ground for all the lights located in the kick panel. Held in my a single 10mm bolt.

Ha, nice! I'll go check it out.

<15 minutes later..>
So. Turn signal and hazard works. Signal lights (is that the first rotary switch position when turning the lights on?) don't. Only full headlights do; but they're kind of hacked upon, because there are aftermarket HID lights. Fog lights don't work either. I took pictures of the switch (note the empty harness connector - I guess it's for a light elevation setting switch but it's not present. IDK. Also note the amount of pins vs the amount of female connectors in the harness.. IDK.

1684230432499.png
I've checked below the lower dash and found several unconnected things;

1684230598041.png 1684230650214.png

.. but they all seem non-OEM. There used to be a CB radio so it might be some leftovers :(

I'll check if the fog light switch is good but it seems okay..

<going through the EWDs..> Now crap. Isn't this the 3rd FL?? And the MAIN connection is missing. Hell, I'm apparently stupid.

1684231724449.png

Last edited:
So. Dug through the wiring remains from 24V, found a single blue fusible link that went to MAIN on the plastic covered terminal; the other one (GLOW) connected as well. There is apparently no connector for the round one; also it seems rather oxidized as if it never actually was connected .. anyway. Cabin heater worked for a while, then stopped. Tail/brake/signal lights still no go. Center and Rear locker works.

I've also tried connecting the round FL connector with a direct wire but still no go. I must still be missing something :(

After all this hassle it was the relay that was faulty. IDK, must have died halfway through my attempts as I specifically checked it working. Replaced with a generic one (for the moment, I need to pass the state technical check up..). The brake light turned out to be the brake switch. There is no relay, just a switch; it was replaced with a different one by the PO and the makeshift harness popped out.

Fog lights still don't work but I'll pass without them for the moment. I suspect the relay also. Anyway they are not in the same circuit, thankfully.

Thanks for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom