24 Volt Noob question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rusto

SILVER Star
Threads
Ah, to be a noob again. Just starting to dig in on my Costa Rican 75 BJ40.

My question is related to the electrical system - the left headlight doesn't work, nor does the left tail light blinkers or brake lights. Front "running lights" work on both sides, passenger headlight works both on regular and bright and the rear tail light works.

I'm going to trace all the wiring and such to make sure there are places that indicate a short, but my main question at this point is - what is 24 volts, and what is 12? Are all the bulbs 24 volts, but the headlights 12? I can't seem to find a definitive answer, but before I start troubleshooting, it would be great if I knew the answer to this basic question.

Thanks for the help

Russ

Unless it’s been hacked, 24v truck is all 24v. All bulbs, lighter, alternator, wipers—everything.

Only exception I know is some Euro market HDJ80’s have 24v starter, but 12v everything else.

Happy to learn something new if I’m wrong. I’m sure someone will pipe up if that’s the case.

Euro spec car should be all 24v, including headlights. 12v headlights in an otherwise 24v car was some sort of Canadian market thing. You made me curious, so I just went outside and pulled a headlight bulb out of my French market BJ75. 24V.

26B943B4-798F-46BB-9133-5D985F445596.jpeg

Sorry, had you confused with someone with a Euro truck. No idea re: Central America trucks. I’d guess that if they had headlight regulations like the USA and Canada (I.e. sealed beams required), that it probably has 12v headlights, but that’s just a guess.

Start by checking fuses and pull the old bulbs—it’ll say right on the bulb whether it’s 12 or 24.

@gilmorneau the simplest route is often where the solution lies.

Bulb is Wagner 50/40 28V. Hopefully, the simple route will hold true and its just a burnt out headlight....

And all 6 of tail light bulbs currently are 12V. PO mentioned "electrical issues" causing bulbs to burn out. I think I found the issue. :) 4 of the six burned out and the other two burning brightly

Looks like I'll be taking a trip to Bulb Town.

Does not help you're quest, but for future thread readers...all Canadian spec BJ40's and BJ42's as well as Canadian Spec HJ60's have 12 volt headlights via the evil center tap, while the rest of the vehicle is 24 volts. Unless they have been changed by a PO.

gb

Thanks @Greg_B for adding that. That exact scenario, with Canadian specs having 12 V headlights is what led to my confusion. Hopefully this thread will answer questions for somebody else in time. I'm personally glad mine is 24 Volt all around. Makes it easier for me to understand in my head, albeit perhaps a bit harder to find parts.

And for my next trick.. .

Since all bulbs in the tail lights need to be replaced, I was thinking of switching to LED. The blinker and back up lights are easy, as they are just one 'filament' bulbs. But what about the tail light and brake light, which with incandescent bulbs have two filaments. How do LEDs handle the two different "brightness" levels? And are their any suggestions for LED bulbs that can do this?

This BJ has me in all forums.. 40 & 55 tech, Diesel Tech, Lighting... I love it.

And for my next trick.. .

Since all bulbs in the tail lights need to be replaced, I was thinking of switching to LED. The blinker and back up lights are easy, as they are just one 'filament' bulbs. But what about the tail light and brake light, which with incandescent bulbs have two filaments. How do LEDs handle the two different "brightness" levels? And are their any suggestions for LED bulbs that can do this?

This BJ has me in all forums.. 40 & 55 tech, Diesel Tech, Lighting... I love it.
Odd Iron Off Road sells 24v LEDs for tail/brake lights, and lots of other LED lights that get good reviews.

Sweet! Thanks @svsisu - just ordered a pair of tail light / brake light LEDs. $18.99 plus free shipping to Colorado.
More expensive than other LEDs I've ordered, but if they solve the "dual filament" riddle, I'll be happy.

Last edited:
You may need to keep standard bulbs for the turn signals since it may throw off the timing. Not specific to 24v, but these have flasher relays that only work with they get they right amount of resistance...

@BreckenridgeCruiser ' I've heard that the LED may do what you are saying. The bulbs were cheap, so I thought I'd give it a shot. If they do flash faster I'll either go back to standard, or maybe add a resistor.

Probably go back to standard as you suggest

@BreckenridgeCruiser ' I've heard that the LED may do what you are saying. The bulbs were cheap, so I thought I'd give it a shot. If they do flash faster I'll either go back to standard, or maybe add a resistor.

Probably go back to standard as you suggest

Once again, Odd Iron (@Gun Runner 5) to the rescue:

Their bulbs are a little more expensive than the cheapies, but being sold in pairs, lasting, not dimming or flickering, and not needing to continually order new, cheap LEDs seems more cost and time effective to me.

Once again, Odd Iron (@Gun Runner 5) to the rescue:

Their bulbs are a little more expensive than the cheapies, but being sold in pairs, lasting, not dimming or flickering, and not needing to continually order new, cheap LEDs seems more cost and time effective to me.
Thanks for the kind words. We bench text all of our bulbs, some for days to assure reliability (we have a paint can full of the ones that didn’t cut the mustard). We get a lot of calls from folks that went the EBay route first. :)

@Gun Runner 5 - is the $24.99 LED Flasher for one or two? $100 vs. four 24v traditional tail/brake light bulbs may be too big of a difference for me at the moment, but $50... I could probably justify that. We'll see how big the difference is in terms of brightness and such before I completely make that call. Worth it, I'm sure, but may have to push that upgrade down the list a bit.

I am looking forward to the tail/brake light LEDs I ordered from you.

@Gun Runner 5 - is the $24.99 LED Flasher for one or two? $100 vs. four 24v traditional tail/brake light bulbs may be too big of a difference for me at the moment, but $50... I could probably justify that. We'll see how big the difference is in terms of brightness and such before I completely make that call. Worth it, I'm sure, but may have to push that upgrade down the list a bit.

I am looking forward to the tail/brake light LEDs I ordered from you.
P.M. sent

@Gun Runner 5 - just talked to your shop connect - Rob. A wealth of information and great customer service. Order placed for replacement relay. He mentioned that when something comes into the shop with blinkers and hazards not working, that relay is the first place they look, which of course makes perfect sense.

Something I needed to replace anyway, might as well do it right..

"You never have time to do it right, but you always have time to do it twice" - I have the time these days... I have a feeling I'll be shopping at Over view of Odd Iron Off Road and offerings for Land Cruisers and off road vehicles more. Others should as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. :cheers:
**** To be clear, I am just Odd Iron’s ‘MUD contact. Rob Smith is the brains of the operation and the one with all of the talent. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom