Builds Elsie the FJ61 (12v LHD 60/61 hybrid)... It all started with a 2300 mile road trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Most of my kit is already built and ready to go.

Tools --
1/4" and 3/8 Metric socket set with extensions and ratchet (for 1/4 you can use an adapter from 3/8-1/4)
Breaker bar (or extended ratchet)
Wrenches - 10,12,14,17,21 (make sure you do not have any odd nuts)
Adjustable wrench (while most hate this, I find they work well when used right and in a pinch)
Pry bar (short)
Duct tape
Electrical tape
Spool of wire / wire stripper, side cutters, crimper / Electrical kit with ends, fuses
Hammer
Small drift or punch
Various Vice grips and pliers
Flathead/Philips screwdrivers (large and small lengths)
Headlamp (also get a good magnetic LED lamp as well)
Everything to change a tire and make sure it all is in working order
Good jumper cables
A sharp knife (utility, or otherwise)

Other
Rags or 2 rolls of shop towels
Bailing wire or stainless wire (in case you need to hold something in place)
Tie Wraps (Metal, plastic whatever)

Spares --
Hoses / clamps
Belts
Fuel filter (x2)
Vacuum line (small roll)
Plugs
Dist cap/ rotor
Fuel pump

Fluids
WD40
Kroll or PB blaster type of break oil
Engine oil
Gear oil
PS fluid
Brake Fluid
Coolant (50/50 mix)
Gasket maker
Crazy glue (works great to stop bleeding)

Extras I bring (I am going on a 4K trip this summer so I carry a few extras)
1/2" sockets with ratchet (common size)
Hub socket and rear axle socket (I have a FF)
Extra fuel
Washer fluid (hate running out)
Extra bulbs (front, rear external and head lights)
Tire repair kit
Extra engine, gear and other oils
Manual (paperback)
First air kit
Tarp

Appreciate the comprehensive list! :)

Laptop and means to get online for research (McD, Starbucks, public library, etc.) on the nearest IH8MUD group as you travel. Worth looking at the "Cruiser Mechanic" thread as well to get an idea of who regionally is avaiable. Always nicer to know that *ahead* of time rather than panicked searching of the website. Bonus points for not trusting the computer and having that information on, gasp, paper.

$.02 and have a wonderful drive!

Glenn in Marana

what's your daily mileage goal? are you guys gonna camp along the way - stay in motels? how old is your son?

this is the best thread in a long time!!

I dont have a long road trip on the calendar until mid august...so i'm living vicariously through yours. keep it coming!

Denver/Boulder is essentially 1000 miles...seems like a brutal 1 day, or more safe/sane 2 day trip. El Dorado Canyon state park - right outside of Denver is really pretty and a good place to rejuvenate your soul after 1000 miles of interstate.

Only thing I would add to your list is a can of starter fluid. You might not need it, but carburators can get grumpy at altitude so it's nice to have. I learned that one the hard way a couple of years ago on Imogene Pass in Colorado. (thanks again @John McVicker for getting me moving again!)

what's your daily mileage goal? are you guys gonna camp along the way - stay in motels? how old is your son?

this is the best thread in a long time!!

I dont have a long road trip on the calendar until mid august...so i'm living vicariously through yours. keep it coming!

Denver/Boulder is essentially 1000 miles...seems like a brutal 1 day, or more safe/sane 2 day trip. El Dorado Canyon state park - right outside of Denver is really pretty and a good place to rejuvenate your soul after 1000 miles of interstate.

Averaging 474 miles / day... mostly motels other than staying with friends in MT. Bringing her back home in a short time frame this time around. Many more "real" trips (i.e. exploration / camping) to come. :)

@Ophir ...just send ahead your suitcase via FedEx to Arkansas. You won't have any room for one in the Cruiser with all the stuff suggested to take. o_O

Lol. There's a happy medium in there somewhere... ;)

@Ophir ...just send ahead your suitcase via FedEx to Arkansas. You won't have any room for one in the Cruiser with all the stuff suggested to take. o_O
On my list 1 technicians tool kit hold all of my tools, It looks like below but I got mine from a friend who use to work at Xerox. I do not have the bottom tray, but do not need it.

Oils and spare fit in 2 action packers.
All will fit in the back of my 60, with spare axles, Fridge, stove, my camping kit (in an action packer) my cloths, recovery gear food etc.
It is amazing how much a 60 can hold.

jtk-2001s-500x500.jpg

Last edited:
Its not cross country if you only go AR to Pacific. I went Pacific to Altlantic (CA - S. TX - VA) last month. Check everything over underneat each night/morning. I caught a bad tire that way and went to a spare and a small leak to keep an eye on.

Then I blew up my rear diff in TN. I hit up the TLCA facebook page and got a lot of help. Having been east to west a dozen times in a LC now, shoot me a message if you have a hiccup.

On my list 1 technicians tool kit hold all of my tools, It looks like below but I got mine from a friend who use to work at Xerox. I do not have the bottom tray, but do not need it.

Oils and spare fit in 2 action packers.
All will fit in the back of my 60, with spare axles, Fridge, stove, my camping kit (in an action packer) my cloths, recovery gear food etc.
It is amazing how much a 60 can hold.

View attachment 1982176

Love it! Back when it was new in the 90s, we used to pack our 62 mighty heavy for a camping/fishing trip into an AZ canyon. Two young kids, a lab, tons of gear inside and on the roof rack, and a gas can to get out of the canyon with. Every cubic inch had something in it. I'm sure the OEM springs were totally maxed out (replaced those with OME). Loved it. She lives a more causal lifestyle now.

Its not cross country if you only go AR to Pacific. I went Pacific to Altlantic (CA - S. TX - VA) last month. Check everything over underneat each night/morning. I caught a bad tire that way and went to a spare and a small leak to keep an eye on.

Then I blew up my rear diff in TN. I hit up the TLCA facebook page and got a lot of help. Having been east to west a dozen times in a LC now, shoot me a message if you have a hiccup.

Appreciated! :)

Sounds fun! Certainly a good comprehensive list and hard out think everything that could go wrong!

Possibly could throw in a few lugs and lug studs, maybe a couple u joints, a bottle jack to compliment the hi lift (not as effective for raising wheels off the ground) and Cruiser Outfitters number on speed dial to source any parts you don’t have while on the road!

Most importantly a good and frequent safety checks to make sure all is tight and as should be and hit the road!

Like that you amended your route. You will hit a far better section of WY. I am going to take a slightly different approach. I grew up in WY and have numerous stories of being stuck in the middle of nowhere usually in bad weather. This was before the internet, cell phones, overlanding, and heated solar showers. We were just out hunting or hiking or boating or camping. Like we did ALL the time.

We weren't unprepared by any means but we weren't overloaded. Our motto was bailing twine and duct tape. Water, fire starter and a sleeping bag. Some emergency food.

Are there times I wish we had more? Perhaps. Like the time during a winter storm, we got stuck and my dad dug a snow cave for me under a tall sage and I slept in there overnight while he hiked to the nearest ranch house 17 miles away to call a tow truck. Boy if we had Maxtrax, a winch, and a pull pal. Well, then I wouldn't have that story either.

There is a balance in what to bring and what your skill set can handle. Sometimes the less you bring the more adventure you have. I would encourage you to look closely at your gear. Does everything your bringing have at least two uses? Are there really going to be times on the route you plan where something dramatic happens that you either can't handle yourself or use modern technology to get help?

Regardless, I enjoy the well thought-out lists. Have a great time!

Like that you amended your route. You will hit a far better section of WY. I am going to take a slightly different approach. I grew up in WY and have numerous stories of being stuck in the middle of nowhere usually in bad weather. This was before the internet, cell phones, overlanding, and heated solar showers. We were just out hunting or hiking or boating or camping. Like we did ALL the time.

We weren't unprepared by any means but we weren't overloaded. Our motto was bailing twine and duct tape. Water, fire starter and a sleeping bag. Some emergency food.

Are there times I wish we had more? Perhaps. Like the time during a winter storm, we got stuck and my dad dug a snow cave for me under a tall sage and I slept in there overnight while he hiked to the nearest ranch house 17 miles away to call a tow truck. Boy if we had Maxtrax, a winch, and a pull pal. Well, then I wouldn't have that story either.

There is a balance in what to bring and what your skill set can handle. Sometimes the less you bring the more adventure you have. I would encourage you to look closely at your gear. Does everything your bringing have at least two uses? Are there really going to be times on the route you plan where something dramatic happens that you either can't handle yourself or use modern technology to get help?

Regardless, I enjoy the well thought-out lists. Have a great time!

Totally understand. I've been studying, and practicing, bushcraft pretty deeply over the last year (you sound like a practitioner based on the questions) including a snowy solo night in a lean-to (that's a good story ;). One of the primary concepts there which I think was coined by Mors Kochanski is "The more you know the less you carry". That's ok for bushcraft in the woods but for our rigs, I think there is certainly a happy medium -- perhaps "The more you know the just enough you carry" ;)

I'm definitely bringing my go bag with tarp/knife/compass/ferro rod/cordage/sleeping bag(s)/emergency food etc.

In any case, I really appreciate everyone's input :) - I've got a much better idea of what I should be bringing along and we changed the route for the much better.

Will post pics from the road --- T-3 days!

Last edited:
I have done this twice bringing cars from other states. One was a 88 FJ62 with a member here on Mud from Washington. And the second time with a friend of mine picking up a I think it was a 70 or 71 Ford Bronco. From Arizona. Both times we made the deal checked the fluids air’d up the tires and headed home. The cruiser was actually more of a relaxed drive home. It ran so good we really had no worries. The Bronco well that was more nerve racking. That was three on the tree with an original 305 motor. Never once did it overheat. But is sucked down Gas. Every stop we checked and rechecked the Bronco for leaks and it ran great at barley 55 to 60 miles an hour. It was a long ride for sure. I guess sometimes you just do it. Fuel it up and go. AAA and some basic tools and a prayer. Whatever happens happens. Part of the adventure of buying something out of state. It’s like rolling the dice and seeing what happens.
I actually wish I could of done these drives with my son. Like you are. Great bonding moments. For sure. Have fun and don’t over stress about the drive. It will all work out.
Looking forward to watching and following this thread.
Good luck and Godspeed!

When I get back to the USA I’ll snap some picks of the stuff that lives in the back. I’ve got a fairly comprehensive kit that I didn’t list out in previous post. And when I drove my truck 2300 miles home I used my tools in the parking lot of an oreilys to repair two leaking heater hoses. Best place to work on the truck is in the parking lot of the parts store :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom