22re swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings, this Alex Bingham here. I am about to venture into a motor swap in my 1985 Toyota pickup, my current 22re has 200,xxx miles. I found a 1992 22re for cheap with 25,000 miles on a rebuild. This will be my first engine swap, is there any advise you can share with a young gear head. Also I will buy lunch for any one that can come out and lend a hand once the swap begins. I will need and appreciate the help, contact me if you can.

Get the factory service manual, or find an online version.
Allow LOTS of time, don't rush it.
Good luck!

Welcome back Alex.

The engine will bolt in no problem. The electronics not so much. There is a difference between an 85 22RE, and a 92 22RE. Shoot, there are differences between early and late 1985 engines.

Bottom line is you will need to swap over the fuel injectors for sure. Some of the other connectors will also be different. AFM I believe is the same. Dizzy/coil/igniter are not.

The TPS is one that has an easy solution. The 1985 TPS is different than the 1992. What I would do is keep the late model intake/plenum and throttle body. It's a more efficient design. But, you will need to swap over the TPS from the 1985 AND the pawl underneath from the 1985 TB to the 1992 TB. This will allow you to loose the Air Flow Valve under the throttle body as the function is built into the late model TB.

Also there are some coolant hoses under the plenum that run to and from the TB. Keep the 1992 plumbing. The stuff they used in 1985 was only used that year. As I recall it was one design in the Celica 22RE engines in 83-84, then it changed to a stupid design in 1985, then went backwards in 1986 and continued for the rest of the run though 1995.

While you have the engine out I would inspect the engine harness. Check the connectors to the injectors and make sure they are OK. You can purchase replacements. Peel back the injector harness and repair the splices. They corrode. Injectors 1&2 are spliced together, and 3&4 are also spliced together. Both the signal and the grounds. The crimps fail, and are guaranteed to fail. Fix them while you have a chance with shrink tube and solder (if you can get that old wire to take the solder).

Wow of all things holy, I haven't bought the 25,k motor yet. After reading this I'm hesitant to buy it now seeing as how I am moving to Texas in 4-5 weeks. Dang I was hoping it would all be close enough to do the swap in a few days, thank you for your knowledge.

this is coming from a non working knowledge guy but can't Alex simply swap the long block over but reuse the stuff on top from the '85? At least the engine will be fresh (ish) mechanically wise....just wondering.

this is coming from a non working knowledge guy but can't Alex simply swap the long block over but reuse the stuff on top from the '85? At least the engine will be fresh (ish) mechanically wise....just wondering.

Yes. He would need to remove everything from the 85 and bolt to the new engine. But like I said, I would retain the intake from the newer engine. That would only require the fuel injector swap, and the TPS swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom