22RE Rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I just recently bought a 93 toyota pickup with 178k miles and I noticed there’s a slight rattle when I get the rpms right. It happens most in 1st and 2nd when it revs high it happens in the other gears when I press the gas a little but then goes away if I press the gas enough. It also happens when I first start up the truck for a second. I know this truck just had the timing chain, cover and guide replaced with metal, got a new radiator and coolant, new head gasket, water pump, and oil pump. Any ideas?

Sounds internal, How's the oil pressure or does it just have a dummy light? did you replace the tensioner for the timing chain. Not 100% about that but kinda sounds like rod knock....

Pull your valve cover and verify your chain and tensioner are good.

Could be piston slap, but ya that sounds like a rod knock to me.

Sorry I’m not very knowledgeable about engines, what do I do for rod knock?

Typically this is caused by a worn out bearing on the connecting rod for one or more pistons, where it attaches to the crankshaft. It's a deep repair. Engine has to come out and fully disassembled.

You might want to have a shop take a look/hear, just to be sure before you commit to a repair like that.

I’ve seen some situations where you can drop the pan and change bearings but I’m not the guy to do that. IMO If your crank bearings are worn out, your engine is worn out. I’ve seen some good deals come up on FB marketplace for good used 22res. Just a thought... don’t let that knock go on too long. Fix it while you still have a good block & hopefully crank.

Turns out oil was super low so I put a quart in and the sound got significantly better. Probably either burning oil or there’s a leak because I just checked oil about a week ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom