22R rod clatter on startup - normal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 22R (1982) with 165K miles. Good oil pressure when running, fresh oil and filter. When you start it (after sitting a few days), the engine is initially quiet, then there's a clear 'rod knock sound' for about 1-2 seconds, and then as the oil pressure comes up on the gauge, it's become totally quiet again. Is this typical? I removed an STP oil filter and installed a Toyota YZZD3 filter, and that made no difference. I did this to be sure there was a drainback valve in the filter.

The oil pressure (indicated on the gauge) stays steady and does not drop when hot.

Thanks - Steve

I would check your timing chain guides, even though you have a double row chain. If the guides fail the chain will slap the timing cover until pressure builds up. If the chain slaps the cover enough you ending up eating a hole into a water jack. Water + oil is no bueno.

I have heard timing chain slap on an 22RE I once owned, and this sound doesn't sound like it, but now that you mention it, I'll have someone else start it and then listen under the hood, where it might sound a lot different. Thanks for the suggestion.

What brand of oil filter did you install?

Toyota YZZD3 filter
Mudder has a point. Back in the day we used to have the same noise on the 22R's, found out later it was related to the oil filter draining out overnight. It would have to refill on start up, thus starving the valve train for a few seconds. Can't say it ever really hurt anything, was just annoying.

That's why I used a genuine Toyota filter. In subsequent startups, it clatters a little, but seems quieter. Since this truck was parked undriven for 7 years, it may just need some driving and use to get oil circulating as it should (or as best as it can).

I doubt you’re still running the original fuel pump but back in the day, the fix was an updated fuel pump. I was a tech back then and the original style (twin upright tube type) pumps would clatter just as you described. The fix was to replace it with the cylindrical, puck-style pump. Just a thought!

Wow. It has a brand new fuel pump (NAPA, I think) that was unneeded; I could reinstall the old part and see if that makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom