205 & center diff. pros & cons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got into a spot where I think I could "atlas" out of a tough spot but with stock T-Case had to get out the hi-lift. I know people with twin-stick 205s and know what they can do. I've never seen it done to an fj40. Centered diff? Wheelbase change? 700r auto? 203 doubler?
Trying to decide if it's worth messing with or do I just keep the hi-lift handy? I am a welder/fabricator and fair mechanic so not much scares me. Any input, pro or con, would be helpful.

NP203 hi/lo to a NP205 would be one tough mother t-case set-up, but long. The shafts would have to be made up, and then there is the matter of the centered output. I take it a CV joint would not suffice in this case?

I know a couple guys that went Atlas in their 40's. With the Atlas comes the center diff....no way around it.

I haven't done it, but have hear you can take the offset output from an old NP200 and place into a NP205 for a dual offset NP205. I believe they came in the old dodge powerwagons.

IMHO tho get an Altas; it's the best choice because of weight savings and gearing if you can afford it.

Hey RG, Can you tell me anything more about the NP200 mod? I think I found one and need to know more about it. I found out one of my old friends has a few old power wagons in his boneyard. Can you help me? I like my offset rear end cause it gives more effective ground clearance.

If you do the 205. You might as well run a Dana 60 in the rear at the same time :D

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=3894;start=msg50593#msg50593 date=1066108911]
Hey RG, Can you tell me anything more about the NP200 mod? I think I found one and need to know more about it. I found out one of my old friends has a few old power wagons in his boneyard. Can you help me? I like my offset rear end cause it gives more effective ground clearance.
[/quote]

From what I have heard, the output of the NP200 will bolt in where the large alum cover supporting the front output gear is. It would probably entail removing said gear and replacing with the NP200 gear and ouput shafts. Although I don't know if it will retain twin stick mode. Give it a try and document the conversion!

This Power Wagon T/C even has a mechanical brake on it. Should be cool if it works. I'm going to dig in a bit deeper.

Probably not what most of you would do, but I just bought a K5 Blazer for the 205 and axles. I'm running a 350 with 700R4 and wanted running gear that bolts right up. It's a little wide, but I don't hit narrow trails in FLORIDA, just sand really, and I like the set-up. Plus, with the left over 350 and transmission I can start my fj45lv wagon build. Overall cost was $2000 out the door with HIM putting my axles on for me.

P.S. I'm selling a lot of my stuff now too, have tranny's, cases, engines for sale. Just trying to recover some costs, so if you're in the hunt for something, for God's Sake, save yourself some $$$ and email me. Tommyiv@cox.net

I say go atlas, yea it is spendy but WTF. It will have a center rear diff, look at it as an oppertunity to get that 60 you have always wanted :D Here's one for you :beer: I should have pics of my 60,70, atlas in a month or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom