2023 Dusy Ershim Run? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So would that be get up there the 27th and starting the trail early the 28th or starting the trail on the 27th
Most people stay the first night on the trail at Thompson Lake it a full day on the trail.
Tamarack Sno-Park has a parking lot I will probably park the tow rig at and then drive in from there.
That's another option, we park our tow rigs there when we go to Coyota lake it just puts you farther from the trail head.

start the trail on the 28th, giving us 4 days on the trail, coming out on Sunday.
I will drive down on the 27th, drop the tow rig and then drive to the start of the trail.

I would not run this trail later than mid to late September. Early August, when it opens is best. I have been snowed on in August, and seen temps in the low 20s then too. Minimum of 3 days, and thats if everything goes well...which never happens on Dusy. I also wouldn't do a group larger than 6-7 trucks. There should be at least 2 of every vehicle type to help with spare parts. Someone should have an on board welder too. It was used every time we ran it. If you haven't done the Rubicon or Fordyce first..you shouldn't start with Dusy. Run it south to north, starting at Courtright. The other direction is harder. Marmot rock campground is a good meeting point and worth a day just to hang out there. If you have a rack or RTT, I'd recommend you take it off

With that said, it's absolutely my favorite trail and I will probably try to run it this year.

Last edited:
I would not run this trail later than mid to late September. Early August, when it opens is best. I have been snowed on in August, and seen temps in the low 20s then too. Minimum of 3 days, and thats if everything goes well...which never happens on Dusy. I also wouldn't do a group larger than 6-7 trucks. There should be at least 2 of every vehicle type to help with spare parts. Someone should have an on board welder too. It was used every time we ran it. If you haven't done the Rubicon or Fordyce first..you shouldn't start with Dusy. Run it south to north, starting at Courtright. The other direction is harder. Marmot rock campground is a good meeting point and worth a day just to hang out there. If you have a rack or RTT, I'd recommend you take it off

With that said, it's absolutely my favorite trail and I will probably try to run it this year.
Ha ha Everybody Has there opinion, me included. I feel the Dusy is the easiest although the longest and further from help and no bypasses and less traffic.
Fordyce by far the hardest if you don't take the bypasses, but not far from help and cell service on the hole trail. Rubicon right in the middle with almost a guarantee some will be by if you have a issue and are stuck on the trail.

We ran the Dusy a few years back at breakneck speed 2 days 1 night because of the wild fires that started the first day we were on the trail. 5 80 series zero issues besides the fire.
You can bad get weather/ snow just about anytime in the Sierras and should plan accordingly ;)

Last edited:
Ha ha Everybody Has there opinion, me included. I feel the Dusy is the easiest although the longest and further from help and no bypasses and less traffic.
Fordyce by far the hardest if you don't take the bypasses, but not far from help and cell service on the hole trail. Rubicon right in the middle with almost a guarantee some will be by if you have a issue and are stuck on the trail.

We ran the Dusy a few years back at breakneck speed 2 days 1 night because of the wild fires that started the first day we were on the trail. 5 80 series zero issues besides the fire.
You can bad weather/ snow just about anytime in the Sierras and should plan accordingly ;)

I agree that the other trails are more difficult. It's the distance from help/parts that gets me nervous on Dusy. Hence the overpreparation with spare parts and tools. Especially if you run it late in the season. Technically Rubicon is harder, but those tree squeezes on Dusy are unrelenting.

A few ispirational photos. Probably the most scenic trail I have ever done. You are more or less offroading on the backside of Yosemite, with hardly any traffic. We typically encounter only a handful of vehicles over the entire trail.

52668293041_10df360400_c.jpg

52668292541_ff8dc00dee_c.jpg

52667795502_9b1e98080d_c.jpg

start the trail on the 28th, giving us 4 days on the trail, coming out on Sunday.
I will drive down on the 27th, drop the tow rig and then drive to the start of the trail.

Hey it's Carey from the Rubithon group.

I have a group of 5-7 friends from Central Oregon planning a Dusy trip around the same time, good reminder to get a date on the calendar.

Hey it's Carey from the Rubithon group.

I have a group of 5-7 friends from Central Oregon planning a Dusy trip around the same time, good reminder to get a date on the calendar.
What Rubithon Group ?

Y’all better keep checking in with the Forest Service before heading there, we have a bunch of snow and it may not even open this year… GL.

We have a huge amount of snow in the sierra right now. We have another storm coming in tomorrow. It may seem like a long time from now but the Dusy is very high and the snow stays. If the trail is not dry they won't open it. Also it all depends how many trees are down and if they can get removed. It is no quarantee it will be open on these crazy wet years.

I think everyone realizes that there is snow . What no one knows is what will happen weather wise between now and then so ,To plan a trip will not hurt . If it can not happen it will not happen :)

I think everyone realizes that there is snow . What no one knows is what will happen weather wise between now and then so ,To plan a trip will not hurt . If it can not happen it will not happen :)
Nothing ventured nothing gained
I say keep planning 😉

Nothing ventured nothing gained
I say keep planning 😉
And let’s not forget this is in CA where global warming is at a all time high 🤩. I am going to pack my sunscreen

And let’s not forget this is in CA where global warming is at a all time high 🤩. I am going to pack my sunscreen
It’s a very good idea the trail is at or above 8000 feet. 😉

Yes drive for hours to the trail head and find ….
CDEB663A-E140-4DD8-9192-F6F49A41AED3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom