2022 Tundra compared to 300 series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is what I’m getting at. I’m not saying Toyota isn’t going IRS on the Sequoia, but I don’t think they will use the TNGA-F chassis. Perhaps they’ll call it TNGA-G or something. I get what @desmocruiser is saying by making the platform modular so you have say various fronts and rears, and depending on the vehicle you’re making, you connect the appropriate piece, but that would still make it a different chassis. Kind of like when Ford went modular with their V6 and V8 motors. The V6 used all the same accessories the V8 used, and was essentially the V8 minus 2 cylinders in design, cylinder size and everything else. That didn’t mean it was the same motor though. A modular chassis platform to my understanding would mean that the TNGA-F used for the LC300 and new Tundra would be the same in say the front of the Sequoia, but the chassis would probably not be labeled TNGA-F, but as I said above, the last letter would likely be changed to suit the rear of the chassis change to work with IRS.

Maybe,

But what would be gained from Toyota adding a IRS to the Sequioa?

Agree,

But just remember that outside of the US, the LC, is in the same price range as Tundra, and Sequoia. Considering the modular nature of the platform, one could make an argument that the 300 series shares more in common with the new tundra and sequoia than the 200 series. The question is will be is how good is the new LC going to be when its a platform SUV vs when it was a purpose engineered from the ground up. In many respects, things do get better as tech progresses.

n Japan they are somewhat cheaper, but so is a Corolla, $14k compared to $20k US, by the same % a Tundra would max out in the mid $40ks and the 300 is $72k.

Most of the rest of the world a new 300 is $100k.

For example. A new base 70 Ute in AUS is $60k US and the 300 GR is $110k and the in the middle East the 300 is bringing a premium and selling for $150k.

Maybe,

But what would be gained from Toyota adding a IRS to the Sequioa?
The current gen Sequoia has IRS. The TNGA-F chassis on the 2022 Tundra and LC300 both have a 5 link, coil sprung live axle. Pretty much everyone agrees that the next gen Sequoia is using the TNGA platform. Most believe, including me, that Toyota will continue using IRS on the Sequoia. My question has been, how can that happen if they’re using a TNGA-F chassis designed for a 5 link, coil sprung live axle. With other comments being made that the TNGA platform isn’t a new chassis per se, but rather a design that let’s you bring a few variations of front/rear chassis’ together so as to lower building costs and increase the use of parts across many different vehicles. My thought has been that if that is indeed the case, the new Sequoia chassis will likely not be TNGA-F, but TNGA-(insert identifying letter for IRS variant of TNGA chassis).

n Japan they are somewhat cheaper, but so is a Corolla, $14k compared to $20k US, by the same % a Tundra would max out in the mid $40ks and the 300 is $72k.

High level trim current gen Tundras bring about double the $40K or close through resellers in Japan that import them themselves. I suspect added tax has a lot to do with that though.

Toyota won't sell the Tundra in Japan themselves though otherwise we would see RHD versions.

Unofficial Sequoia render:
next-gen-toyota-sequoia-unofficial-renderings.jpg
next-gen-toyota-sequoia-unofficial-renderings.jpg
I’d write a check for that today

The current gen Sequoia has IRS. The TNGA-F chassis on the 2022 Tundra and LC300 both have a 5 link, coil sprung live axle. Pretty much everyone agrees that the next gen Sequoia is using the TNGA platform. Most believe, including me, that Toyota will continue using IRS on the Sequoia. My question has been, how can that happen if they’re using a TNGA-F chassis designed for a 5 link, coil sprung live axle. With other comments being made that the TNGA platform isn’t a new chassis per se, but rather a design that let’s you bring a few variations of front/rear chassis’ together so as to lower building costs and increase the use of parts across many different vehicles. My thought has been that if that is indeed the case, the new Sequoia chassis will likely not be TNGA-F, but TNGA-(insert identifying letter for IRS variant of TNGA chassis).
The chassis is modular. They can make changes as appropriate to the use case. That same chassis works with leaf springs as well.

Ride quality for sure. This is why most heavy SUVs are going IRS.
And a huge increase in room behind the second row, allowing a roomy third row of seats to fold into the floor and still leave a lot of cargo room. The current Sequoia is very dated, but the storage and seating room is incredible.

And a huge increase in room behind the second row, allowing a roomy third row of seats to fold into the floor and still leave a lot of cargo room. The current Sequoia is very dated, but the storage and seating room is incredible.

I was going to chime in and say space, in addition to the on road ride. And to be fair, IRS can be pretty comfy on mild trails with a decent shock tune, proper spring rates, and geometry that is on point. The TRD Pro of the current Sequoia can scoot down a rutted fire road at a pretty good clip for a factory vehicle that can tow as much as it can, and there are plenty of side by sides and KoH buggies that also work some magical lines with IRS when they don't have the packaging constraints of a street driven vehicle.

That said, for a daily driven SUV or truck that you want to take offload, I would rather have a 5 linked solid rear axle than IRS (more articulation versus IRS packaged for a street driven truck, at least in every application I have seen to date).

Hey guys,

Ran into a 300 series today and a couple first impressions is one, it's a sharp vehicle up close, and two, its small. May have been my 2500 parked next to it, but even compared to our armored 200's. It seems small. With 4 adults, there is no room for gear.

With that being said, I will be interested in seeing how the sequoia turns out if, if it actually has a decent cargo area, I would be pick one up especially if they do a decent TRD pro build.

20211004_162235.jpg

20211004_162327.jpg

20211004_162944.jpg

20211004_163557.jpg

Meh. One look underneath and you realize how chintzy GM and American Trucks really are.
Yeah, just spent the last week riding around in my buddies 4x4 GMC 1500 double cab truck, it's not even 2 years old, has 20k miles on it, and already has a noticable "clunk" from the drive train when it shifts out of 1st gear, I have no idea what is causing that but it shouldn't be happening on a new truck. My LC has less clunk with 335k miles on it.

A full size crew cab long bed pickup truck is a completely different vehicle compared to a LC. They have little in common except 4 wheels.

Yeah, just spent the last week riding around in my buddies 4x4 GMC 1500 double cab truck, it's not even 2 years old, has 20k miles on it, and already has a noticable "clunk" from the drive train when it shifts out of 1st gear, I have no idea what is causing that but it shouldn't be happening on a new truck. My LC has less clunk with 335k miles on it.

That clunk is normal on those GMs.

It is amazing to see how many 6.2 eating parts still after all these years.

Last edited:
Some thoughts,

I think the the Tahoe/Yukon are sell significantly more units in the US for a few reasons.

Shorter development cycles, Americans love new stuff, From 1000 dollar smart phones to eating tens of thousands of dollars in depreciation on new vehicles, Americans just love trading in perfectly serviceable stuff for the latest edition with blue tooth 3.0, wireless charging, a display that's an inch or two large or any other number of gimmicks.

While I personally appreciate Toyotas approach to reliability, since the last significant change to the Tundra/Sequioa in 2008, GM is now on their 3rd generation of of the platform even before toyota can launch their next gen platform, Bottom line, people are blowing 70k on a vehicle with a decade old tech package

In regards to the cargo, third row seating, We have new Yukons as work vehicles and honestly, they have never had usable 3rd row seating for adults. They are great for 4 adults with a decent amount of gear, but anything more and they suck.

If Toyota wants to compete in the large SUV and Truck market, they need to either have shorter development cycles, or do something that the big three do not. I think the one area in which they do have the ability to sell really well is if they basically approach the segment as if was the 4 runner. The 4 runner is successful because it can complete against Jeep as well doing outdoor stuff and offers more storage space.

The should market it is a larger 4 runner/tacoma, Americans love the idea of outdoor adventures, and can be sold quite easily on the concept,

Jumping in here to respectfully disagree with this post...

4runner and Tundra sales are strong - 4runner sales are stronger than ever (well, peaked in 2018 but are still very strong), and both those platforms also use the long life-cycles that the Land Cruiser does. Although I agree, the long life cycles don't help, its not a precursor to slow sales.

Two points:

- The LX has been outselling the LC since the 100 series. So the idea most US buyers prefer the upscale nameplate when spending 75k+ isnt a new thing. I also dont find it outlandish.

- With all due respect to 200 owners, the truck looks bulbous, even with armor, and the pre-facelift front was a big miss. It has fairly soft lines, (soft wheel arches and the beltine is really pronounced and soft) softer than the 100 which was softer than the 80 before it, and the design team missed the mark with where the market was going with that. Wranglers and G wagons started blowing up in 2011-2013 or so, and Toyota couldn't do much with the design to save the 200 series sales. Conversely, Toyota hit one out of the park with the 4Runner facelift, giving it a stronger look and an aggressive front end the market loves. I owned a 5th gen. Great truck. But it didnt start selling 2-3 times as many units because it all of a sudden was a bigger Jeep competitor - it started selling more because the market loved how it looked.

I think its really unfortunate - because the 300 series is a boxier, stronger looking design with a belt line that is more reminiscent to the 100 series (to me) and I think would play fairly well in the US market (I think its going to look great with armor). I dont think it would explode in sales, but I think it would certainly do better than the 200 series. I'd buy one, and I have zero interest in replacing my 100 with a 200.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Ran into a 300 series today and a couple first impressions is one, it's a sharp vehicle up close, and two, its small. May have been my 2500 parked next to it, but even compared to our armored 200's. It seems small. With 4 adults, there is no room for gear.

With that being said, I will be interested in seeing how the sequoia turns out if, if it actually has a decent cargo area, I would be pick one up especially if they do a decent TRD pro build.

View attachment 2803570

View attachment 2803577

View attachment 2803582

View attachment 2803583
Man that thing looks good, I want one.

Its the same size as a 200, for all intents and purposes. Same wheelbase, 1.5" shorter, .3" wider.

Every Land Cruiser since the 80 has had the same wheelbase.

They are hitting the road hard in the tundra in the states. I saw 5 test mules on one pass I take when hitting the hills for work a few weeks back in summit county in CO. Last one I came by had a teenage kid driving it pulled of on the side of the road. Almost stopped to question him and look it over for info but had too many stops to make so kept going. they were all covered well so probably wouldn't have seen much.

They are hitting the road hard in the tundra in the states. I saw 5 test mules on one pass I take when hitting the hills for work a few weeks back in summit county in CO. Last one I came by had a teenage kid driving it pulled of on the side of the road. Almost stopped to question him and look it over for info but had too many stops to make so kept going. they were all covered well so probably wouldn't have seen much.
Meh. It looks like the designers from Nissan (Frontier), GM (Sierra/Silverado) and Tundra all had drinks one night and said **** it let’s make the same truck and see who sells more. They’re identical on the outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom