2021 Cruiser Engine Crazing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering if others have seen this (see pictures) on recent models of 200 cruisers - this is on my 2021 cruiser. I was looking over the engine today and noticed considerable crazing on the engine block. I hadn't noticed before, but maybe I never looked that close, though it is pretty obvious once you see it. I'm surprised I had not heard of this before. I'm guessing it is just a surface defect from cooling during the molding process, but wanted to see if anyone knows more about it. Thanks!

LandCruiser Engine Crazing 1.jpg

LandCruiser Engine Crazing 2.jpg

I'd get that documented with the Toyota dealer in case it becomes either a warranty or after warranty issue. I'm picking up my '21 next week and I'm going to be concerned if this type of cracking occurs. Certainly haven't see that on my '98 and I just turned 270,000 miles on it.

Have the same on my 2021 LC200 build Oct 2020 on the same location of the alloy block. I actually saw this when I checked the engine room from new , looked at it and noticed it is laying on top (i.e. does not appear to be cracks or crazing for that matter but some surface finish effect of the light alloy molding process) and decided to watch it within the comprehensive warranty period (3y/36k miles) and knowing the powertrain has 5 year and 60k miles. So far after 11k miles no signs of escalation, leaks or otherwise. For what it is worth, have towed a 7000lbs travel trailers through the mountains in New Mexico and Colorado and driven in high temp Houston conditions over the summer. It does not mean of course the engine block is fine or no issue will come from it.

Perhaps interesting somebody in the process put that sticker on it so they must have seen this and been ok with it. According to how the Japanese work they would have discussed this and corrected the issue if it is a problem, then again nothing is perfect.

I agree with mobi-arc it would be good to make Toyota aware of this and ask for an explanation.

Also interested to know whether other recent model year owners have the same and maybe have figured this out already as I do plan to keep it for 10+ if not 20+ years and 250+ miles...

1635301293486.png

Last edited:
Just checked my 2019 and I have the same.

2019. Same. I was told by this forum not to worry about it. So I don’t. :)

Same with my 2021

I have never noticed this before on ours but I just went and looked and sure enough it's there lol. Wild stuff, but no issues in 20K+ miles. Hopefully it's just a topical finish defect and has nothing to do with the metallurgical aspects and its integrity over time.

Thanks everyone! I'll have my Toyota shop note it next time I take it in, but sounds like it is just an surface condition and nothing to worry about.

Hit a couple muddy trails and then you won't have to worry about seeing that anymore :steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom