2018 Rubithon Wagon Run (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve got alpha-numeric tags on all my memory channels. If I want RUBI-R, we’ll I just put it in memory mode and rotate until i see RUBI-R. Same for 805ELD, etc.

I did spend my Mon and Wed plane ride time this week reading the manuals for my three different Yaesu radios (mobile base in the truck, a 2m HT and a tri-band HT I just picked up expressly for RUBI-R). Downloading the manuals as pdf’s and storing them in your phone is highly recommend! (Same goes for your digital FSM’s).
:hmm:

Are your sons coming again Joe?

My son Quentin will be with me. Brian's son could not make it but his daughter will be joining us this year.

I'll be BaoFang mobile... monitoring.

:)
Honestly you can hear almost everything along the entire trail on simplex with one of them things...

We had a nice dinner and saw Thomas and Logan off to start their Rubicon Honeymoon adventure. its been a kick helping him prepare his rig. If you see them on the trail give them a shout. Good times

IMG_20180614_193917577_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180614_201054207_LL.jpg

Finished up my "alpha" storage solution for the middle row... it ain't pretty, but I gotterdone. It's loaded with spare parts for this trip. I'll be loading up in the morning, and heading out tomorrow. We will be going up through Sequoia and Yosemite over the weekend, a stop over in Sacramento to get the Dissent Belly plates installed, then I'll see you all at Loon Lake Tuesday.

Finished up my "alpha" storage solution for the middle row... it ain't pretty, but I gotterdone. It's loaded with spare parts for this trip. I'll be loading up in the morning, and heading out tomorrow. We will be going up through Sequoia and Yosemite over the weekend, a stop over in Sacramento to get the Dissent Belly plates installed, then I'll see you all at Loon Lake Tuesday.
Where ya going in Sequoia?

Where ya going in Sequoia?

At this point, I have no idea, I figured I would just hit the major points in the park... basically I want to see giant wood (phrasing). I'm open to suggestions. Depending on what time we end up leaving, we will either drive straight to Sequoia or we will stay in hotel along the way.

Last edited:
We pulled out our new Yaedu FT-857 to program. My god, it's like programming a space mission. My 15 year old son gave up. Took me several hours, I've got it working - I think - but I certainly don't understand it much.

I'm going to call Georg and see how everyone's rigs are doing.
Dude - you get a top end, four band transceiver and expect it to be simple? :rofl:

Dude - you get a top end, four band transceiver and expect it to be simple? :rofl:

HaHa. Agree. It's why I almost always use a single band radio. It also maximally simplifies the antenna too, with better performance. But just for reference, Kenwood GIVES you programming software that is super simple to use.

And one other radio thing. Beofeng SUCKS. They can kiss my ass. I used to like them. I've had 3 of their radios. Lots of spare batteries. Many antennas. Strange programming cables. And don't try to program from the keyboard. That especially sucks and is the invention of the devil. They work fine for a time. Better than that, actually, they work really well. Sometimes. For 2 years maybe. But they are a pain in the ass to program (CHIRP is good tho), they are a pain in the ass to keep charged when mobile, and they are really cheap. But they suck. They make odd rhythmic noises. They pick up interference where none exists. They lull you in with that cheap, cheap, Chinese bottom feeder price, but then they give you the shaft with the impossible programming, the piss poor buttons and the weird LED light that has a mind of it's own. Get one if you must, but plan on a real (Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom [in that order]) replacement if you enjoy the advantages of Ham radio on the trail. So IMHO Beofeng is the poor dirty cousin of Harbor Freight in the radio world. It's made in China, it sort of works, it never comes up to specs, it dies an early death, and gets relegated to the dust bin of your life. (Disclaimer: I have nothing against Chinese products. My iPhone is great, my Kenwood (sadly now made in China) radios are great it's just that Beofeng does not play in the same league.)

And I'll talk to you on the trail with my 13 year old Japanese Yaesu 2800 with perfect clarity from one end of the Rubicon to the other! (and its successor the 2900 is made in China and works great too)

At this point, I have no idea, I figured I would just hit the major points in the park... basically I want to see giant wood (phrasing). I'm open to suggestions. Depending on what time we end up leaving, we will either drive straight to Sequoia or we will stay in hotel along the way.

You can do a nice loop going up 198 out of Visalia to Sequoia NP, do Moro Rock, check out Giant Forest (see the General Sherman tree), then continue on the General’s Highway across to King’s Canyon NP, stop at Grant Grove (see the General Grant tree), then exit west down 180 to Fresno. Easily done in a day. There’s other stuff too if you’ve got more time.

HaHa. Agree. It's why I almost always use a single band radio. It also maximally simplifies the antenna too, with better performance. But just for reference, Kenwood GIVES you programming software that is super simple to use.

And one other radio thing. Beofeng SUCKS. They can kiss my ass. I used to like them. I've had 3 of their radios. Lots of spare batteries. Many antennas. Strange programming cables. And don't try to program from the keyboard. That especially sucks and is the invention of the devil. They work fine for a time. Better than that, actually, they work really well. Sometimes. For 2 years maybe. But they are a pain in the ass to program (CHIRP is good tho), they are a pain in the ass to keep charged when mobile, and they are really cheap. But they suck. They make odd rhythmic noises. They pick up interference where none exists. They lull you in with that cheap, cheap, Chinese bottom feeder price, but then they give you the shaft with the impossible programming, the piss poor buttons and the weird LED light that has a mind of it's own. Get one if you must, but plan on a real (Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom [in that order]) replacement if you enjoy the advantages of Ham radio on the trail. So IMHO Beofeng is the poor dirty cousin of Harbor Freight in the radio world. It's made in China, it sort of works, it never comes up to specs, it dies an early death, and gets relegated to the dust bin of your life. (Disclaimer: I have nothing against Chinese products. My iPhone is great, my Kenwood (sadly now made in China) radios are great it's just that Beofeng does not play in the same league.)

And I'll talk to you on the trail with my 13 year old Japanese Yaesu 2800 with perfect clarity from one end of the Rubicon to the other! (and its successor the 2900 is made in China and works great too)

I second this. Last year my Baofeng stopped working on repeaters. The existing Yaesu FT-270 2m and my new VX-6R tri band are both made to more durable specs and waterproof to rain and shallow immersion. I expect them to last a long time. And they’re easy to program through their keypad. Extra batteries and car chargers for both, as well as better Diamond antennas. Happy to be saying goodbye to Baofeng. But I’ll still have several in our group for close in simplex on the run frequency.

I just wanted to wish you guys luck this weekend for those braving the trip with a 2.5 inch lift and 33’s.

I just came from the con last weekend and me and my buddy are on 37’s with 4 inches of lift with 12 inch travel shocks (mainly for the rear).

This year the snow must have moved/eroded a couple of things around on the trail. If last year I rated the con rated a 7, this year it’s an 8, especially on the start of the uphill on Cadillac. You litterly have to use your sliders going over the rocks and pivioting. I just couldn’t imagine a 33 inch tire even making it up some boulder faces as there are no “rocks” (for you freeway builder) in that vacinity to help you clear it over.

Also both sluices got a little more challenging.

Good luck to all! I had a blast though, bet all of you will too!

Fortunately virtually every one will have a winch, and it would not be the first time I've winched at the bottom of Cadillac. Can't wait to see the trail.

its always a bit different every year. I was surprised that it was not more torn up last year due to all the snow we had. Come to think of it, "torn up" is probably the correct term. My guess is that with the mild winter we had this year, there have already been a lot of hardcore crawlers with large tires doing there thing, digging it up and NOT stacking rocks. I imagine the smoothest the trail ever gets is right after the jeep jamboree has rolled/stacked a lot of rocks. Can't wait to get up there.

Actually, BFG just finished a couple weeks on the Rubicon for the KM3 media release. I strongly doubt they tore it up, and equally doubt they were rock stacking. Quite a few capable rigs on there for their event.

'spose I should consider prepping my FZJ80 following last months 3300 mile trip to San Jose del Cabo for the NORRA Mexican 1000. Or maybe just wait until Sunday....gives me plenty of time before we head out on Monday, right?

Last edited:
Plenty of time! Ive been working (at my job) everyday, I was welding my front bumper last night and did not finish the job when the cops showed up to shut me down. Gusset for the tubular wing is optional anyways.

The online registration for Rubithon is now closed. You can still join us in the Springs and we will get you signed up there. We have limited meals left, so don’t wait until Saturday if you need more food. Also, you can get more shirts and other items, but they will be mailed out to you after the event.

Please do not send any more payments via credit card or PayPal. Since I cannot see that in the Springs, I will need you to pay for it there. If you do so, you will still need to pay for it, and I will refund your payment upon our return on June 25th.

When you arrive at the Springs, please come by the registration booth to get your items after setting up your camp. If you are a renegade run, that is where we will have you sign the insurance forms (all people must sign!) and will pick up your shirts. That is also where you will get your registration packets that have your meals, grand prize raffle tickets, kids raffle tickets, dash plaques, camping sticker and a special extra gift this year.

If you see someone in camp that does not have the camp sticker, please let us know. We want to make sure all are signed up, and if not, make it right. I depend on your help to make sure no one is taking advantage of our clubs other members.

Remember that we only accept cash and checks in the Springs. Don’t count on using credit cards!

Please be patient with each other as we will have a lot of rigs on the trail. That equates to potential for a lot of breakages. If you do break, please do all that you can to clear the trail. We have people that will help you, but don’t be THAT GUY! Also, camping is going to be packed. Remember that we are all here together, so be considerate of those around you. We will be tight!

I will not be reachable other than ham radio after Monday night. So don’t wait if you have a question.

Safe travels and remember to have a blast. See you all in the Springs next week!
Eric
530-401-0800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom