2018 front bumper ideas and comments (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

smritte

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm reserching front bumpers for my son's 18 4runner. I'm looking for what your running, likes and dislikes. It is mostly street with mild off road.
Last spring he hit a deer and wants a bit more strength in front.
Looking at something that covers to the side with a loop by the grill. Here's a couple of example's of the design I'm looking for but not necessarily these. Backwoods Adventure or the CBI

Any real world comments or pictures would be appreciated.

First question of course is do you really need a heavy front bumper that would be made even heavier when adding a winch. “mostly street with mild off road” would stronger suggest no. Even with mild off roading a winch is often a good idea especially if going out alone but there are much lighter options that doesn’t require a bumper.

First question of course is do you really need a heavy front bumper that would be made even heavier when adding a winch. “mostly street with mild off road” would stronger suggest no. Even with mild off roading a winch is often a good idea especially if going out alone but there are much lighter options that doesn’t require a bumper.

Fully aware.
I personally wanted my son to get something lighter. I don't have the time to create a template or I would build it my self. Of the ones I looked at, the weight will start at 75 pounds. The bumper will never see a winch so that's 50 odd pounds he don't have to deal with.
Fortunately, We haven't done the suspension. Once he's done I will have to evaluate everything and come up with a suitable spring set for him.

I've been building rigs and fabricating for decades and know what's involved. Something like this is easier and actually cheaper to buy then it is to design and build. If it was one off like my Cruiser, that would have been diffrent. The fabricator in me is the one looking for advice from people who have owned. If I found a place that had several on display, I could see how their made in person.
None of my friends have 4Runners and a full width bumper so that's out.

Do you have a full width bumper to share pictures and insight?

No bumper as I honestly never understood their appeal, especially if there will be no winch. There’s also a convincing case to be made that they can be ‘damage multipliers’ in case of accident, but that’s like the age old 9 mm vs .45 internet argument – so each their own. I do have a budbuilt hidden winch plate with lights and a winch mounted since I need use the winch more than I’d care to admit.

I'm reserching front bumpers for my son's 18 4runner. I'm looking for what your running, likes and dislikes. It is mostly street with mild off road.
Last spring he hit a deer and wants a bit more strength in front.
Looking at something that covers to the side with a loop by the grill. Here's a couple of example's of the design I'm looking for but not necessarily these. Backwoods Adventure or the CBI

Any real world comments or pictures would be appreciated.
If I were you I would head over to T4R.org. or Trail4Runner.com - https://trail4runner.com/ Definitely more and better info than here on the 4runner.

Thank you. I put messages out in my common forums but not there.

If you have a weekend to spare, and skills/tools (use of the word ”fabricator” says you do), this is what I would do. 1/3 the money of the other two you posted at $775, and with the full coverage you said you wanted. Also available in aluminum for an extra $500 or so.

BC0FEEC0-C078-4F66-924F-4DAA638B1B74.jpeg

1F3A08F8-920C-4436-BE48-A2944693BCED.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom